Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sally is a Dirty GIRL LS1/99 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ok... well if you ever need help with the swap I'd be willing to come out and help!!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is so much cooler than a raptor! Nice work!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DeepV
That is so much cooler than a raptor! Nice work!
haha thanks! i hope that it is! I hate raptors...they are just wanna-bs!

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
Oh ok... well if you ever need help with the swap I'd be willing to come out and help!!
Definatly i got a few things going on and i will try to get into getting this thing ready to plant in it.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Launching!

The problems with what Ford did on thier end was the head/cam issue. If you want a set of cams for the 5.4, they are listed as the same, or WERE listed as the same as the 4.6 though you need more duration.

Then, there is the cost. Two cams for a Ford, one for a Ford design in a Chevy...Hmmm...which one would you choose?

SWS
Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That thing looks like a blast...would love to be a passenger on one of those jumps...too cool!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevelless502
That thing looks like a blast...would love to be a passenger on one of those jumps...too cool!
weird thing is you dont feel it as much as you would think due to the suspension..its still a blast to do 55-60 across the whoops...
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your going th400, look around the forum, theres many ways to go about that swap these days, flywheels, converters, just converter spacers, just flywheels with spacers made on, converters with spacers made on, etc. I can tell you a good converter company but yo would have to PM me I dont think they are a sponsor. Dont forget you will need a decent stall to go with the camshaft. Theres plenty of cam only setups that can wet your fancy and make plenty of power without going into heads or anything else. With your setup, you really should talk to a cam builder about your weight and RPM range you will use, and be on the same page with your tq converter, these need to be a match in a big truck like yours. I know how the dunes are, and you really want a lot of mid range to top end grunt to tackle the sand with success, make sure you tell them that. I would reccommend some parts and get you close, but i havnt built any sand bound ls motors so I dont want to give false info.

cool build for sure, it funny how many chassis are getting ls these days.

btw are you looking for 400RWHP or 400 flywheel? 400 flywheel is a cake walk with an ls1
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Nice project, I've always wanted to build a prerunner.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
If your going th400, look around the forum, theres many ways to go about that swap these days, flywheels, converters, just converter spacers, just flywheels with spacers made on, converters with spacers made on, etc. I can tell you a good converter company but yo would have to PM me I dont think they are a sponsor. Dont forget you will need a decent stall to go with the camshaft. Theres plenty of cam only setups that can wet your fancy and make plenty of power without going into heads or anything else. With your setup, you really should talk to a cam builder about your weight and RPM range you will use, and be on the same page with your tq converter, these need to be a match in a big truck like yours. I know how the dunes are, and you really want a lot of mid range to top end grunt to tackle the sand with success, make sure you tell them that. I would reccommend some parts and get you close, but i havnt built any sand bound ls motors so I dont want to give false info.

cool build for sure, it funny how many chassis are getting ls these days.

btw are you looking for 400RWHP or 400 flywheel? 400 flywheel is a cake walk with an ls1
Hey thanks, this wont be just for dunes this will be an all around truck...dezert, dunes, street. i want a mid range engine...and it being fairly grunty all over the rpm range...i dont know if thats possibly but anything is better then my 4.6. 400 to the wheels is what i am looking for...through a th400. i am already looking at what is needed for this. i should my my engine on a stand today or tomorow.

Originally Posted by COSTIGAN86
Nice project, I've always wanted to build a prerunner.
most fun project i have ever done!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

got it on a stand...and i will be ripping it down...
hey what spark plugs do you recomend for this??

Name:  2011-01-03_16-27-05_689.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  77.0 KB
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by renosauce
got it on a stand...and i will be ripping it down...
hey what spark plugs do you recomend for this??

Hard to beat NGK TR5's.... cool build BTW!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jkade72
Hard to beat NGK TR5's.... cool build BTW!!!!
sweet...any other suggestions...

btw...i tore it down tonight...a friend of mine worked for Audi/Ferrari and has rebuilt alot of motors.
So he came over with a little bit of Coercing...aka..a gin and tonic... and BOOM!!!
its all torn apart..labeled and ready to be cleaned...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

btw...i didnt have the correct pully puller for the crank...so that will come out tommorow night or next week...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome build up.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CJ Hungus
Awesome build up.
Thank you sir!

Soo with the motor torn down...
i will need the following...

Cam
Rollers
Complete Gasket set.
Preferably some springs.
Rod bearings?
anything else i should check?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

lol anything is better than that 4.6... that thing makes like 250hp crank right?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

^lol hatehatehate

I use ngks too, but i use a tr55/tr6. Engine looks cleeaan after teardown. Id do springs w the cam; probably pushrods.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by renosauce
Thank you sir!

Soo with the motor torn down...
i will need the following...

Cam
Rollers
Complete Gasket set.
Preferably some springs.
Rod bearings?
anything else i should check?
Looks like a fun build man! My theory is if you have it all torn apart and little extra cash you might as well throw a new set of bearings and rings in their, now's the time to do it while it's all apart. It's cheap insurance since you bought it from someone else, you never know how they treat things.

As far as using the th400 I used the TCI flex-plate PN 399753. My converter came with the spacer already attached to it, so I didn't need to use the one TCI supplied.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Haha yeah man I do have a lot of hate to the SOHC Mod 4.6.... I had a crown vic with the same motor... shift kit, 410 gears, full bolt ons (underdrive pullies, intake/tb, exhaust, tuned), and the car was still a pig man, barely made 300hp crank. Gross lol..... Just not a good motor for making power. Now the DOHC 4v 4.6 is a little bit better....

Originally Posted by Irish350
^lol hatehatehate

I use ngks too, but i use a tr55/tr6. Engine looks cleeaan after teardown. Id do springs w the cam; probably pushrods.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Teching In

if youre gonna do an auto I would definately go th400 those are near bulletproof. Ive seen a simalr set up in a baja truck, was a fiberglass bodied f150 like your bodystyle at the dunes in Oklahoma running a ls1/th400 setup mid engine and it screamed. At least ur betterinf a Ford by dropping in a gm powerplant "built ford tough with chevy stuff" You could have went nuts and dropped a 460 into a mid 70's vette like a guy did here several years back WTF but he did have a bitchin 69 gransport vette replica at home too and the 70's vette was a repo car that was in peices and rough at least so he didnt ruin a nice one

Quick Reply: Sally is a Dirty GIRL LS1/99 f-150