Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cadillac 1987 - 1999 4.8 Vortec

Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cadillac 1987 - 1999 4.8 Vortec

Ok so this project will seem pretty simple compared to what you guys are doing but it is the first time I am attempting something like that and I am very very slow. I hope I will be done by next summer.

Anyways I will try to post pictures and explain what I did, just in case some novice guy like me tries it also.

The engine has some miles on it and is not very clean (1999 with about 150k miles), it was used in the rust belt. But if it works I'll be happy. If it doesn't then pretty much everything will be done by the time I will find out and then I will have to look for something more recent.

So the first time I did is modify the electrical harness by following the instructions found around here. The problem I ran into was that the harness has been cut right behind the engine, I had to resolder all those wire. I hope it will work!

My second problem was how to install the engine. My Caddy had the Olds 307 engine so different engine support than the Chevy engines. Being on a tight budget I decided to try using the original mounts and adapt them to use them on the 4.8 engine.

Third problem is that I did not have a proper engine hoist, just a hoist that goes up and down.

So I made a template out of plywood that mimics the shape of the cross member under the engine. I also drilled two holes so I know where the engine bolts should be placed.

I decided to keep the same distance from the engine brackets to the transmission-mating surface at the rear of the engine. It puts it very close to the firewall, I hope my transmission will fit.

Vertically I used the template to try and make sure the oil pan won't touch the cross member.

Horizontally, I found out the supports of the crossmember were not symmetrical so another calculation needs to be done there. I tried to place the center of the crankshaft pulley (or flywheel), at the same position as with the old engine.

Anyways here's a few pics of the mounts I did using the template drawing I found for the S&P style mounts. I joined that plate to the original (Oldsmobile) engine brackets with a 2"x2" sq tube.

Here are a few pics showing how the engine is positioned. Keep in mind it is not at the right angle yet. When I put the transmission it will be tilted more rearwards. I was afraid it will interfere with the steering damper. It doesn't

That's where it is as of today.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Launching!

It also seems the exhaust manifolds fit, no need to buy headers. I just have to bend a bit a brake line (or some kind of line anyways). Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

pics of the car?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shrike
Pimpin!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk
Pimpin!
Hehehe,
yeah well it wasn't my favourite colour. I used to have a blue one, that was my favorite. But this one was really clean for the price. It will need a new paint eventually and a new roof. But there is no rust or almost. Only place I found was an area around a body mount where there are signs of rust. And also where you jack it, some surface rust.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Do not change the look!!! Keep the wire wheels and all!!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

love it. I also prefer the blue, and id go with larger wheels that are reminiscent of the wire wheels; but id also mod the **** out of it and try to make it as quiet as possible

What trans is it getting? im guessing an auto
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Launching!

For now I will keep the stock wheels (wire covers). If I ever change them it will be one of the last things and I'd like to use some that keep the stock look, maybe some real wire wheels but a bit wider.

I don't want to pimp it. The power will probably be enough for now. Anyways I don't have the money to change the cam, add headers and all that. I'll keep it as stock as I can. Whenever I will have money to do other mods it will go into suspension first and brakes afterwards. But that won't happen very soon. Maybe in a couple of years.

The transmission will be a 4l60e from a 1999 Camaro. I would have loved to convert it to manual but that would add a lot to the complexity of the project. Who knows, maybe one day. Sooner than that if I hit the lottery!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

well youre certainly not going to disappoint, just get it running so we can see it
Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irish350
well youre certainly not going to disappoint, just get it running so we can see it
I can't wait!!! I know it will take a while though. But it is winter here anyways, it's the season when it sleeps anyways!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

awesome man. i love it. good luck with the build
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
awesome man. i love it. good luck with the build

Thanks, it will be nothing compared to that Focus!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.truespoke.net/

Heres the link for wire wheels. This has got to be my favorite kind of swap. I love big cars. This would be my next swap if I can find a decently rust free body here in Michigan, and I will be adding the manual trans.

Please keep us posted on this one and good luck.

Chuck
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Caddy!!! I'd really like to do a build on my 1991, but I think I'd keep the 350 SBC already under the hood.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Those wheels are sweet for sure! They must cost more than my car is worth!
But eventually I will look into them. I remember seeing their site a while ago (or a similar manufacturer.)

Even if I live in MOntreal, Qc where there is a LOT of salt, this car is clean because it was an older gentleman who owned it and never took it out into the winter. The car is also originally from Virginia. I would like the manual trans but as I said, I got to keep the costs low at this moment.

I'll keep you posted but it will be very slow

Originally Posted by lightning95sc
http://www.truespoke.net/

Heres the link for wire wheels. This has got to be my favorite kind of swap. I love big cars. This would be my next swap if I can find a decently rust free body here in Michigan, and I will be adding the manual trans.

Please keep us posted on this one and good luck.

Chuck
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

The 350 SBC is not bad. If my car had it I most probably would have kept it also. Better power and mileage than the 307

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Nice Caddy!!! I'd really like to do a build on my 1991, but I think I'd keep the 350 SBC already under the hood.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I LOVE IT! I'm a caddy man own 2 and had several.Sweet build
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Launching!

thanks, I had another brougham a while ago. I just love the design!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Man it sucks when your car lift is a jack and a wheel under each tire.
Stupid mounts put the engine a bit too rearwards and maybe a bit too up. I hope by moving it forward 1 inches or 2 I can fit that transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cadillac 1987 - 1999 4.8 Vortec