LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   Installing Cruise Control w/DBW (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1377479-installing-cruise-control-w-dbw.html)

69-er 01-24-2011 10:44 AM

Installing Cruise Control w/DBW

Maybe I'm not searching in the right places, but is there anything out there that would detail the procedures to install a cruise control system? It's an LS2, T56, 69 Camaro.

Thanks!

Larry

Marky522 01-24-2011 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked up a diagram for a 06 GTO, and a 06 Corvette and it appears to be much more complicated than the LS1 cars. I am attaching the diagram for the corvette, it appears you need the Body control modual to have cruise with the corvette diagram. With the GTO diagram it looks like you need a PIM modual (mounted to the cluster in OEM cars) to interface the BCM Canbus to the UART canbus...
Heres the vette diagram...
Attachment 275830

Long story short, it appears that the LS2 cruise is done over the CAN network.

Here is a thread sdiscussing it...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ggto-ls2.html

Mark

garys 68 01-24-2011 11:23 AM

If it's from a GTO/vette w/o a TAC, you may have a problem.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ggto-ls2.html

Marky522 01-24-2011 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something I just found in furthur digging...
Attachment 275835

The SSR has the wiring go straight to the PCM, instead of having it go through the CAN network... Now weather it will work without the SSR tune, who knows, but maybe one of the tuners could make a custom tune if that is the case... Anyway there is the wiring diagram with the inputs you would need.

It looks like for the inputs to the PCM for the on/set/accel swtich, you just provide one constant 12v connection for on, then apply momentary 12v when you want set or accel.

Mark

code4 01-24-2011 01:38 PM

there is a schematic for late model chev pickups cruise control boxes on here somewhere. I found that the s10 p/u's have the same control box. I have hooked up cc on 2 rat rods using the s10 boxes because they are at every junk yard.

Just needs 12V+ with brakes on & off (2 wires, I get the switch from the donor s10 brake pedal) speedometer wire, on/off switch on dash & a single momentary switch to engage the cruise. I don't use the resume/accel feature. Push the button & she goes into cruise, hold the button & it will coast until you release.

there are several ways they hook into the throttle body, you may have to slightly modify the bracket. I have one on an ls6 intake & the other is on a truck intake.

code4 01-24-2011 01:59 PM

This is from this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...driven-tb.html

Below is parenthesis is my simplified Appalachian American way I did it.

Pin. Use

A ........ Cruise "ON/OFF" input from switch (on/off switch on dash 12V+)
B ........ Set/Coast input from switch (momentary switch on dash 12V+)
C ........ Resume/Accel input from switch (didn't use)
D ........ Normally Hot 12v from brake/clutch switch (12V+ with brake off)
E ........ Ground (grounded to chassis)
F ........ Hot in run 12v (from battery)
G ........ Normally 0v brake input (12V+ with brake on)
H ........ Cruise inhibit signal pcm control (using older s10 modules I did not need this)
J ......... Cruise engaged status to pcm (not needed on older s10 modules)
K ........ VSS from pcm/feed to cluster (tapped into wire from pcm to speedo)

Bowtie70SS 01-31-2011 09:53 PM

How are you hooking up the cruise box to a DBW setup?

FastKat 01-31-2011 10:55 PM

Unfortunately, the OP has a DBW setup without a TAC... which means the PCM controls the DBW throttle body. In earlier car and trucks, the TAC module controlled the DBW throttle body, and was much easier to interface with a cruise control switch.

Originally Posted by code4 (Post 14405987)
This is from this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...driven-tb.html

Below is parenthesis is my simplified Appalachian American way I did it.

Pin. Use

A ........ Cruise "ON/OFF" input from switch (on/off switch on dash 12V+)
B ........ Set/Coast input from switch (momentary switch on dash 12V+)
C ........ Resume/Accel input from switch (didn't use)
D ........ Normally Hot 12v from brake/clutch switch (12V+ with brake off)
E ........ Ground (grounded to chassis)
F ........ Hot in run 12v (from battery)
G ........ Normally 0v brake input (12V+ with brake on)
H ........ Cruise inhibit signal pcm control (using older s10 modules I did not need this)
J ......... Cruise engaged status to pcm (not needed on older s10 modules)
K ........ VSS from pcm/feed to cluster (tapped into wire from pcm to speedo)

G-Body 01-31-2011 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 69-er (Post 14405104)
Maybe I'm not searching in the right places, but is there anything out there that would detail the procedures to install a cruise control system? It's an LS2, T56, 69 Camaro.

Thanks!

Larry

What operating system/year is your PCM. I know that the 03 trucks had easy to hook up DBW cruise.

69-er 02-01-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by G-Body (Post 14440334)
What operating system/year is your PCM. I know that the 03 trucks had easy to hook up DBW cruise.

Not familiar with the operating system on PCM. It's out of an 06 GTO w/T56.

BTW, I assume "PCM" is the equivalent to ECM?

Larry

G-Body 02-01-2011 11:38 PM

Looks like the 2006 GTO uses the same PCM (yep in LS1 speak PCM = ECM) as the 2006 trailblazer. The trailblazer does not use the secondary controller, the cruise control switches connect directly to the PCM. I would talk to your tuner and see if he can swap the cruise control segment from a trailblazer into your computer.

Dyno paul 02-06-2011 10:52 PM

LS2 Cruise Control

I ran into a guy at the Holley LS Fest. in September with a 1966 Impala with a GTO LS2 4L60E Package. he had just finished installing the cruise. he had to use the GTO Cruise switch because all the swithes are N.O. normaly open when off. SO that convinced me to go ahead with my setup. I have a1967 Nova with a 2007 LS2 /4L70e package. I am using the GM Powertrain wiring however it has been reprogrammed to Trailblazer SS with a Trailblazer Throttle pedal . Origially the GM unit is Cadillac CTSV programmed.I use the Trailblazer T42 transmission module and the Engine module is an E67 . I have temporarily hooked up the cruise with a used switch and everything worked perfect .Cruise, accel, coast. . The car is in storage for the winter . I just have to locate a switch and install it in springtime. I think the Trailblazer schematic was three wires to the ECM and supply 12 volts to the cruise switch. The break switch also has to be hooked up.

Bowtie70SS 02-07-2011 06:49 PM

Paul I would like more details on how you installed the cruise. Did you get the transmission module and wiring from the trailblazer and connected it to the E67 engine module? And you used the GMPP wiring harness that came in the kit as well? There are quite a few people that would greatly benefit from what you came up with. Subscribing.

Dave

aknovaman 02-07-2011 07:13 PM

Cruise control stalk info:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324015

DBW cruise info;

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=300335

usc2001gc 02-07-2011 08:36 PM

On my 2005 Corvette LS2 transplant into a 71 Chevelle, Jerod at Current Performance did the harness and PCM. The PCM was reflashed to a '05 SSR in order to get the cruise control to work (he said he's done this on many). But I haven't been able to get the Cruise to work. When I talked to him, he said mine was the first manual trans that he had done but, he didn't think that should be an issue. I've rechecked my wiring multiple times, but haven't been able to figure it out (everything is wired per his directions). The only thing I don't have hooked up on the car is the electronic speedometer output from the pcm (I'm using the manual cable from the tko-600). Not sure if this could possibly be the issue, I have confirmed (using HP Tuners) that the pcm is reading the correct speed from the vss output off the trans.

S10Wildside 02-08-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by usc2001gc (Post 14471501)
On my 2005 Corvette LS2 transplant into a 71 Chevelle, Jerod at Current Performance did the harness and PCM. The PCM was reflashed to a '05 SSR in order to get the cruise control to work (he said he's done this on many). But I haven't been able to get the Cruise to work. When I talked to him, he said mine was the first manual trans that he had done but, he didn't think that should be an issue. I've rechecked my wiring multiple times, but haven't been able to figure it out (everything is wired per his directions). The only thing I don't have hooked up on the car is the electronic speedometer output from the pcm (I'm using the manual cable from the tko-600). Not sure if this could possibly be the issue, I have confirmed (using HP Tuners) that the pcm is reading the correct speed from the vss output off the trans.

An easy wire to overlook in a manual transmission application is the brake switch wire at the blue ECM connector pin 46. Verify that this is there and getting 12v without brake pedal applied and no voltage when the brake pedal is depressed.

usc2001gc 02-08-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by S10Wildside (Post 14474611)
An easy wire to overlook in a manual transmission application is the brake switch wire at the blue ECM connector pin 46. Verify that this is there and getting 12v without brake pedal applied and no voltage when the brake pedal is depressed.

My wiring:
C1 43- Clutch Position, Normally Open
C1 46- Brake Switch, Normally Closed
C1 32- Brake Switch, Normally Open
C1 17- Cruise Control On Switch Signal, Normally Closed (when cc switch is ON)
C1 27- CC Set/Coast Switch Signal, Normally Open
C1 33- CC Accel/Resume Switch Signal, Normally Open

Everything is receiving 12 Volts

Dyno paul 02-09-2011 04:41 PM

Cruise control

I have a LS2 2007 from a trailblazer SS with 17 miles , they gave me a 2005(wrong) Harness complete. I ended up using the GM Performance Harness and added the Trailblazer SS T 42 trans module . GM programs this for Cadillac CTS-V which has a 6 speed manual trans. This would not communicate with the 4L70 E trans I am using. GM Tech Centre Engineer recommended a program change to Trailblazer SS being it will communicate with each other. After the change I found I needed the Trailblazer SS pedal for this. This package has worked flawlessly for two years now. So In the fall I took a 90,s used cruise switch and wired up the 12 volts and the terminals according to the GM service information Engine Control Module pinouts Document 1757489 Available at the Dealer. C1-21 Accel., C1-22 Set/Coast.,C1 -30 . Cruise on . C1 means the #1 connector on the E67 and the next # is the actual wire terminal. I now just need to get a permanent switch and i am done.

LonghornSS 02-27-2011 11:21 PM

I have the computer from a 2006 trailblazer.... from what I have been told from the guys who sold it to me that is when the cruise was added to the ECM on the trailblazer..... I am sure someone on here can correct me if I am wrong but I also belive the a GTO computer would have to be "factory" reflased to a trailblazer computer due to pinout locations on the ECM. it is not in the programing itself.

here is a quote from a popular EFI site.

•Used Gen IV ECMs (E40, E38, and E67) can be pulled from non-V8 vehicles, but require a base GM calibration for the vehicle/engine type you are working with. A "full flash" with EFILive, HP Tuners, etc. will not replace all calibration segments. In other words, you can pull a used E38 from a 2008 V6 Impala, perform a full flash with a 2008 Corvette calibration, and electronic throttle will not work.

This is why I was told to use the Trailblazer computer. With this computer it should be as easy as paul says it is a matter of finding the proper cruise lever and adding the proper 12v to the pins in the computer.

LonghornSS 02-27-2011 11:24 PM

BTW, I have seen Pauls set up. and it works the way it should. Nice swap too.