Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sending unit leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure sending unit leak?

I finally got my LS1 in my 72 Firebird; everything is a-ok, EXCEPT for this weird oil leak I have coming out of the sending unit at the back of the engine.

This is an analog gauge and I think it's a nylon tube. I tightened the thing down a little tighter than hand tight and put teflon on the threads so I have no idea why it's leaking. Anyone have any ideas?

Someone mentioned to use a copper line to replace the nylon line and that you could get this at the parts store - does anyone know if this is a kit or what this copper line is called?

Here's the leaking part I'm talking about:

And this is just to give you a reference of where it is on the engine:

I am aware of the PCV hose disconnected. I did that because the hose was in the way when I took the photos.

Thanks for any help/advice, I'm so close!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Is it coming from between the copper nut on the top and the copper adapter below it? If so, you don't need teflon tape on the male threads on the top of the adapter. The ferrule that slides on the tubing makes the seal.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4856914_use-...ne-tubing.html

Last edited by Earl Filter; 01-27-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Launching!

I made a picture of one I have laying around. The nut on the right slides down over the ferrule pictured on the nylon hose just to the left of it, and goes on the adapter shown on the left. Cut the tubing straight and try to keep it round. Teflon on those threads where the nut goes might keep you from getting enough torque on it. It doesn't need a whole lot, and these are good about crossthreading, so be careful! As long as you don't kink the line or rub/burn a hole in it, it holds up just fine.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Ah you kick Bruce Lee *** man, thanks!! I'll undo those fittings tomorrow morning and see if they're loose at all, and check the condition of that ferrule. That's a great pic, thanks again.

Stupid question though - I thought I had tightened that down quite a bit; how tight do you have to get the ferrule to make a good seal?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Launching!

You don't have to get it super tight. I've done maybe 3 of these kinds of oil pressure gauges over the years. I'm going to use this one as a startup gauge. I'd cut the tubing off clean with a razor blade, and assemble it similar to what I pictured, and try again. The ferrule should fit on the tubing fairly tightly, where you need to use some force to move it on the tubing.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up Fixed!!!

Thanks a ton for your help, Earl. I removed the SU today and took a look at it. The ferrule didn't even look crushed at all!! It also felt loose when I removed the fitting that threads into the large silver adapter part that goes into the engine.

I took some pics. You can see how the ferrule looks like it wasn't even remotely making a seal. I could even push on it some and it would move up the tube slightly:

After I tightened that stuff down, I went for a drive. Came back, and it looked totally dry!! This is what it looked like when I came back from the drive:

So I think I'm all good now - fingers crossed!!

Quick Reply: oil pressure sending unit leak?