Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be interested in this for my Cherokee.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67Skylark
Congratulation!! Looks like that is a hugh success. No way you will hear that over standard road noise. Any heat build up running the motor at low RPMs?
Keep us posted. Looking foward to the Zipster Speedo Conversion hitting the market soon.
I have had no heat problems whatsoever, tested low speed and high speed. The highest recorded temp was 90* and that was at 165 mph for 17 hrs, and the mount was not centered, it was made out of a piece of wood. It was very crude.

Originally Posted by bitterman
What motor controller are you planning? PWM I expect? DIY or something else?

The controller is a PWM, we are using an off the shelf unit that that is modified to do exactly what we want.

How are you planning to do the calibration?

Bruce
The ECM will need to be correct, gear ratio & tire size.

This is the cool part, there will be buttons on the front of the control box. One button puts it in calibration mode, then you speed up the motor to move the needle to certain points, 30mph, 60mph, 90mph, 120mph... when you have the target speed on your dash you lock in that setting, then the controller will know how fast to turn the motor to get the target speed based on the pulses from the encoder wheel on the motor.

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
Might be interested in this for my Cherokee.
I have an older Mopar speedo, I am working on the mount for it. I don't know if its the same as yours. Could you get me a pic?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zipster im very interested in this sub'ing
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Zipster, you are the man! I was leaning towards the tail-shaft modification, but would rather go this route once you get it finalized. I am really interested in this for my 86 Camaro. Great job!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zipster
The ECM will need to be correct, gear ratio & tire size.

This is the cool part, there will be buttons on the front of the control box. One button puts it in calibration mode, then you speed up the motor to move the needle to certain points, 30mph, 60mph, 90mph, 120mph... when you have the target speed on your dash you lock in that setting, then the controller will know how fast to turn the motor to get the target speed based on the pulses from the encoder wheel on the motor.
So your not taking into account the carb guys that just want to use the speed sensor on the tranz and convert this to a mechanical speedo?

My project is a carb project with 4l80e. I was hoping to use the stock gauges but might just do a dash instead.... Or use a GPS speedo.

thanks for the information, I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Bruce
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bitterman
So your not taking into account the carb guys that just want to use the speed sensor on the tranz and convert this to a mechanical speedo?

My project is a carb project with 4l80e. I was hoping to use the stock gauges but might just do a dash instead.... Or use a GPS speedo.

thanks for the information, I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Bruce
Bruce,

Ya know I did not even think of the carbed guys! But let me look at the outputs from the controller, I might be able to send 5 volt and power the sensor to run the speedo driver. I have to look at some schematics. It might be doable.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Well I looked at the schematics, the vss sensor is a two wire sensor and it seems to be an a/c voltage generator. The computer is sending out the 4000ppm signal. I loked at a couple of aftermarket electronic trans controllers and they seem to have an output signal. now I have contacted Optishift and talked to Kevin. He said the Optishift is able to have a 5volt square wave signal. I would assume the other controllers out there will do this also. So I would have to say It will work with other transmission controllers as long as they have the capability to supply a 5v square signal.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

The way I seen it at least in my case there are 3 wires coming from the VSS. 5v, speed signal and ground. The Autometer guys said I can get a 5 volt regulator at Radio Shack and run most any aftermarket speedo. The reg is very cheap and leaves several options open to speedo's, aftermarket, conversions, etc.

To answer your question from earlier, the connection from the cable is like the GM push clip retainer. Tried Googling the pic it but came up with everything but.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

The way I seen it at least in my case there are 3 wires coming from the VSS. 5v, speed signal and ground. The Autometer guys said I can get a 5 volt regulator at Radio Shack and run most any aftermarket speedo. The reg is very cheap and leaves several options open to speedo's, aftermarket, conversions, etc.

To answer your question from earlier, the connection from the cable is like the GM push clip retainer. Tried Googling the pic it but came up with everything but.
I think your speedo is similar to the 72 Challanger one I have. It does resemble the GM push on. What trans are you running?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

This is the cluster I'm working with.

Here it the speed sensor from the turbo 350, transfer case and Jeep speed sensor.
Name:  DSCN3947.jpg
Views: 3357
Size:  193.2 KB
Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Silly question, have you targeted a price so far? This could be the answer to my quandry.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

This is the cluster I'm working with.

Here it the speed sensor from the turbo 350, transfer case and Jeep speed sensor.
The vss sensor you have should work perfectly. Our controller will supply the 5V signal you need.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Silly question, have you targeted a price so far? This could be the answer to my quandry.
Yes we do. It will be under $200.00

Oh, and the prototype motor controller is being assembled and should be ready for testing be next weekend.

Last edited by zipster; 02-15-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Would you need the cluster for conversion or is it something that can be done myself? You're almost in driving distance too.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think I need your cluster, as long as its the same cable end as the older Mopars it will work. We are making kits so the end user can install it. Very easy to program, and only a couple of wires to connect.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to pull my cluster to check the style and how much room I have. I should be able to calibrate it with my GPS? Hopefully it'll be idiot proof. There are a lot of us out there. Price range is good, I would spend that much on a aftermarket speedo and a cup to mount it.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks outstandinding. Would love to use this in my '75 Corvette convertible that's getting an LS1 / T56 as we speak...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will help a lot of the swap guys out. It sucks driving with no Speedo
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Launching!

I have been think about this also and you got me thinking and going back to the days I did qa on embedded devices..

Something like a "Arduino Uno USB Microcontroller Rev 2" should work well as a micro controller for this project. they are only about $25-30

i was looking at this http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/DCMotorControl and it shows how to drive the motor using an additional chip such that you don't burn out the board. the board could receive inputs with some circuitry also.

I might go down this route if I have time and don't decide to totally replace my speedo on my build with a digital speedo.

The other thing this could be used as a data logger also Log RPM and Tranz vss RPM and see how much your torque converter is slipping. Lauch RPMS. RPM vs speed etc... could do a lot . I am getting more interested in this the more I look at it. Could even calculate 1/4 mile time possible form the data.... if you don't spin based on number of rotations of the tire to get to 1/4 a mile. etc... endless possibilities.

Bruce

Last edited by bitterman; 02-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Just checking in on this thread - I am working with zipster on this and doing the embedded electronics firmware coding for the prototype. Glad to see so much interest! Back to compiling...

Quick Reply: New mechanical speedometer drive solution