Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C320 Ls1 Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C320 Ls1 Swap questions

My buddy has a 97 Mercedes C320 that the trans is blown ....... he was thinking about swapping in a 5.3 paired with a 4l80e. Has anyone swapped an ls type engine into a Mercedes? If so what problems did you run into?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Teching In

I'm not familiar with the W202, but the 203 would be a nightmare if I had to guess. They are so reliant on computers... the body control module and the ECM/TCM are probably integrated to the point where you'd be pulling your hair out. Plus, they seem pretty proprietary, in that you need the STAR to do just about anything on these cars (I can't adjust my headlights mechanically on my '07... if that gives you an idea). STAR might not even be enough, I think there is another (more expensive) program that goes deeper.

So stand alone powertrain control obviously, and then maybe retrofitting gauges from a gen III equipped vehicle. I have no idea if or how you can integrate the electronic stability control/traction controll (hell, maybe even the ABS being that the ESC probably relies on the ABS to controll foundation brakes independently). I'm sure the traction controll works with the PCM if the W202 is DBW. I doubt it relies entirely on the brakes, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, enough with the gloomie stuff... if you really want to try this, I think you'd get some decent info at mbworld.org, if you havent been there already. There are some really smart people over there that are familiar with these cars.

Also, I would be seriously considering a 5.5 benz engine. I'd have to guess the E55 engine would have a better chance of retaining more overall vehicle functionality.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info , def. gave me something to think about

Quick Reply: C320 Ls1 Swap questions