Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring harness placement and positioning in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wiring harness placement and positioning in engine bay

I am almost finished wrapping my wiring harness in corrugated tubing. Parts of my harness are pretty close to my exhaust manifold (cast iron), spark plug wire, power steering line, and brake line. I have about 1.5" clearance from the exhaust manifold, 1/2" from the spark plug wire, about 1/2" from the power steering line, and about 1/4" from the (steel) brake line. Is this too close?

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about wire-tying parts of the harness together. Also, I am using PVC corrugated tubing, similar to what the manufacturers use.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

1.5" away from the exhaust is more than enough. Delphi's split tubing is rated for 800*F which is higher than the wires inside are rated for. The plug boots are made to go close to the exhaust without touching. Contact leads to wear which leads to arcing. If it's touching, use the OEM steel sleeves or buy a set of wires with flexible boots

I would move the brake and PS lines farther away though
Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I think the PVC stuff I ordered from McMaster-Carr is rated at around 200*F. However, most of my loom has been salvaged off of late model GM cars.

The thing about the (steel) brake line is that it doesn't move. The harness shouldn't really move, either, because the place they almost touch is 1" away from a spot where the harness is double-mounted to the chassis.

I am going to take some pics of my "trouble spots" and post them tomorrow night - that will describe it much better than I can.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats what happens with cheap aftermarket loom

Take some old loom and lay it on a hot piece of exhaust, nothing happens un less it's damn near glowing. Take the cheap stuff and set it near the exhaust and it will curl up and melt

You need to move the fluid lines away, be it bend the hardlines or run new ones. Fluids react differently to heat exposure than wires

Quick Reply: Wiring harness placement and positioning in engine bay