Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Firebird w/ BRP engine kit and Unisteer steering kit, any problems?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Firebird w/ BRP engine kit and Unisteer steering kit, any problems?

Hi all...I'm currently doing a '67 Firebird LS2 w/ T56 conversion using the BRP Hotrods conversion kit. What I am wondering is that I am considering getting a power rack from Unisteer and would like to know if anyone has any experience using the two and if there are any potential clearance issues. I know the Unisteer bolts up to the factor location, but I did not know if it was a bit higher up than the stock one, etc.

Thanks all and I look forward to posting progress pics in the near future!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Teching In

I didn't use the BRP kit but I did use the transdapt mounts on my 69 nova (same subframe) with a ls1. I already had a power R&P from unsisteer and it did not fit. I put spacers under the frame stands and still was hitting. It was hitting the oilpan and the block. Its the fittings that was hitting, Some people moved the rack itself from the the bracket over an 1" and redrilled the holes but I did not want anymore hassel. I did see the manual racks fit. I just went with a steering pump.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont do it. Its not made for the swap and it was a total headache to get it to fit with the LS1 swap. It was my biggest headache and regret.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM

It seems the rack actually sits lower than the subframe it bolts too, but I must be wrong. I have the LH8 oil pan and it seems to have enough clearance, ugh, I really wanted power rack and pinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 Firebird w/ BRP engine kit and Unisteer steering kit, any problems?