Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Impala L99 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Impala L99 swap

Need a little help, researched all over and I haven't seen this answered directly. This is probably a really obvious answer to someone who has done a ls swap. My first eeek

Bought a L99 outa a 2010 camaro and it came with the wiring harness still all connected minus the ECM.

I see slot of guys buy the GM Performance Parts LS Controller which has a new harness + ECM etc....

Can I just use the harness that came on the engine and pick up an ECM?? Or will that cause me more problems than it's worth?

I have the sneaking suspicion that using the harness from the Camaro is going to be more difficult? Is it just extra connections I don't need?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Launching!

I'd contact one of the sponsors that do this all the time. I don't know about the newest Gen IV stuff specifically, but there are plenty of swaps running around on original harnesses that have been modified. Speartech is just one of several that come to mind that will modify the harness for you at a good savings over buying all new stuff.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Jesse at wait4meperformance.com, you'll save a few hundred and get quality work.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Ok cool thanks for the replies, so I either need to have my harness adapted or buy the GM controller kit.

Does anyone know why the stock harness wouldn't work with out adapting it? Just curious.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Its not adapting, they take the stock harness and modify it by deleting all the unnecessary wiring and emissions sensors that you wont be utilizing, and they reprogram the pcm so it isnt looking for the deleted functions. When they return the harness to you it will look similar to the one that GM is offering. GM didnt start selling their swap harness until they realized the amount of money they were leaving on the table. The GM swap harness is fine if you have the coin to shell out and you're not willing to wait a couple weeks for your own harness to be modified, but if you're looking to save, then having the stock harness reworked is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, I get it now. Probably just adapt the one I have, no need to waste a good harness.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Default Driveshaft

Got the engine and transmission all mounted in and am working on my drive shaft.

I was planning on using the original drive shaft that was in the impala but I don't know how to convert it over, do I need a new yoke or is there something to convert it to the 6L80?

Is it a bad idea to use that original driveshaft? The car had a 409 in it, torque wise it's about the same as the L99 but had a little less HP.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

how are you going to measure the driveline angle? i got a 62 wagon that i am putting 5.3/4l60e combo in and im at that stage? any thoughts?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmdupont
Got the engine and transmission all mounted in and am working on my drive shaft.

I was planning on using the original drive shaft that was in the impala but I don't know how to convert it over, do I need a new yoke or is there something to convert it to the 6L80?

Is it a bad idea to use that original driveshaft? The car had a 409 in it, torque wise it's about the same as the L99 but had a little less HP.

Thoughts?
Probably be best to have a new shaft made, just be sure to inform the builder about the trans and rearend you're using.
As for setting driveline angle, go to www.hotrodlane.cc, click on the LS installs link and it provides info on how to do it.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Probably be best to have a new shaft made, just be sure to inform the builder about the trans and rearend you're using.
As for setting driveline angle, go to www.hotrodlane.cc, click on the LS installs link and it provides info on how to do it.
Its actuall under the LS1 tech

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ONLINETECH/...ineangles.html

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 06-25-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 65 Impala L99 swap