Sponsored by:

L92/6L80, 65 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92/6L80, 65 Nova

Howdy Ya'll...

My name's Steve. And I'm new here - lookin for advice after years of bein out of hot rodding. You know how it goes. Back burner "for a few years" to get through college. Life intervenes in the meantime. Then one morning you wake up, and say "Holy Cow! How did I end up middle aged so quick?!"

Hahahahahahaha....oh God, I crack myself up. You young guys will be there before ya know it. So en route to your life goals, always make sure you stop long enough to have some fun, automotive or otherwise.

At ANY rate, just back into things. Recently bought a clean, 6 banger & glide 65 Nova. Original owner gifted it to her nephew for his 16th birthday in 1980, then I bought it off of him.

This car is perhaps beneath what many of you would consider worthy of interest. And my proposed budget isn't likely to change that. But I'M pretty excited about it. Always liked these cars as drag machines when I'd see em at Milan or Detroit as a kid.

Long term, I'd really like to make the car a more serious drag racing machine. But that's just not likely to be in my budget for the next 3-5 years. In my immediate world, I just wanna get the thing on the street and enjoyin it. I've had it for a couple years now, and every time I get ready to sink some money into it, the company I work for spools up the fear and loathing about job security. So, I've felt a little heistant to spend the cash on this project.

That said, it's too easy to get old quick, and feel like you haven't had any fun for too many years! I'm putting this thing together and gettin er out on the street, and I wanna finish stage 1 of the project in the next 6-12 months!

So here's the plan. Low dollar budget for the original swap. I want reliability, some good power, and a foundation suitable for the longer term modifications that will come as the budget opens up. I wanna drive it! I wanna be able to afford to drive it to some car shows & cruises, some weekend bracket racin, and perhaps the occaisional longer distance road trip.

Originally the old school 400" SBC was my thought. 700R4 for the benefit of OD & lockup, allowing a decent cruise final drive ratio, but still have some torque multiplication. However, the more I research what's currently available, the more a L92/6L80 combo stands out.

Initially I just wanna swap in a stock eng/trans/harness combo from a single donor vehicle. And if possible, I wanna find a way to do it for under 5,000 bucks.

Ultimately, I want what I install to be something that's a good basic foundation for later mods (as the budget allows) to the basic originally installed setup. I don't intend to modify the front or rear suspension at this time. It's gonna be a skinny tire, drive conservative, go to car shows & cruises, fun machine. I'll solve the issues of the total package regarding making the rest of the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc catch up with the engine swap LATER.

Is 5 grand for the L92/6L80 swap gonna be do-able? How much am I gonna have to pay for a low mileage L92/6L80 out of a wreck?

What kind of issues do I face when it comes to motor mounts, exhaust manifolds/headers, intake to hood clearance, harness wiring, etc?

What are the ways of dealing with these issues? And what are some good resources for me to consult to give myself a basic education on these things?

I'm also interested in hearing the many points of view on why I should consider a different LS based motor for my project. But the "L92/6L80" is what I'm lookin at for now.

I want good power in the original unmodified engine/trans combo. But something that will adapt well to higher horsepower mods in the next 3-5 years, as money allows.

Whadya know out there? Lookin forward to hearing from the vast collective knowledge you all posess!

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Last edited by practically.fast; 04-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

By the way...just joined TODAY, so still gettin to know the website layout. If there's a better place to post this so as to get replies from folks who have the ability to get advice...please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by practically.fast
By the way...just joined TODAY, so still gettin to know the website layout. If there's a better place to post this so as to get replies from folks who have the ability to get advice...please let me know.

Thanks!
Welcome!

I am a Nova owner myself, but I kept the drivetrain traditional with a 350ci/TH350 combo. I love the LSx style engines in my newer F-bodies, but prefer the 4-barrel toilet bowl on the Nova.

I'm moving your thread to the Conversions section for better responses on your type of project.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the Nova community! You will find a lot of projects just like yours to help guide you along. Here are a couple of links that will help answer some questions you may have and also create some more. If and when you get a chance post up some photos of your ride.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...s-project.html

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...play.php?f=112

http://www.churchboysracing.com/cate...eadersexhaust/

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome...I think considering the objective isn't hardcore this or that, and you want to do it on a budget...I say go for a 5.3L/6L80 or 4L70 combo. You want to spend more time crusin' than figuring out how crap fits and works together, right?

The little things will nickel and dime you to death. Mounts, wiring harness compatibility, exhausts, gauges, frame/floorpan mods, radiator/coolant system, suspension, drivetrain (rear end & driveshaft), not to mention tires and wheels. You'll be up to your $5000 in a heartbeat!!

The 5.3L has more than enough oomph for that lightweight vehicle, they're inexpensive, usually come with a trans and harness, and can be easily hopped up to make some crazy power when more $$ rolls in. The 4L70 will be more than capable and more importantly, it will physically fit with less headache than a massive 6L80. Go with a GenIII 5.3L, stick a build 4L65 and you can plug in generic gauges and avoid the CANBUS gauge cluster issues with most GEN IV motors.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Chuck (Church), enjoyed chatting with ya briefly earlier today. Thanks for the callback. And sorry if I sounded rushed to get off the phone. I was headed out the door when ya called. You were very polite, and helpful. And I greatly appreciated your insights.

One of the things I'm REALLY enjoying about getting back into hot rodding, is how social and naturally helpful most car guys naturally ARE. It's not that I'd "forgotten" per se. But outside of my time in the military, I have to say that car guys, more than the majority of society at large, CONSISTENTLY seem to be near the top of the food chain when it comes to the desire to share and help and reach out. Thanks for the tips and contacts. I look forward to chattin with ya again sometime.

Re: the rest of ya'll, found a great donor vehicle that has the L92/6L80. But I'm gettin feedback that the 6L80 and the trans tunnel of a '65 Nova are not necessarily compatible without a hammer and or cuttin torch and subsequent tinwork.

Any thoughts on this? 6 speeds (vs the 3 or 4 in my other A/T options) is more in keeping with my overall goals. But balanced against the backdrop of trying to keep this project from getting into a complexity beyond my quasi-novice status as a long absent "re-entry"...well, I'd like to hear what ya'll think about how much hassle I'd be askin for.

What level of hassle am I not realizing I'd be takin on? I'm wide open for whatever wisdom anyone has to offer from their experience.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Teching In

btw, "TrueBlueGTO", based on your comments, it seems like you understand where I'm tryin to go with this project. You're right ON when it comes to realizing that I don't wanna make unneccessary hassle for myself. Never did any engine swaps in my younger years. Was always "Mr Bolt On & tune".

I loved the old SS cars.
Can't afford an authentic SS car.
Since mod'in the 6 pop/PG car is my route, its made me more open minded.
I like the LS technology - peformance/drivability-reliability/(some)MPG
The more C/I the better, but w/o gettin into the "GM Performance" motors.
Hence the 6.2 L92
Torque multiplication to further enhance performance with a "mild" motor.
Hence the 6L80.

BUT....

If anybody has experience with the 6L80 in the standard 65 Nova trans tunnel, and can share what a huge pain in the *** it is modifying such. Then I'd like to hear about it.

I'm not farmin out ANY of this project. It's gonna be a learn as I go deal on anything that requires creative problem solving. So insights gained from difficulties any of you have had are quite valuable.

Ok. That's all I have to further illuminate any of you re my goals/parameters. Thanks again in advance for the insights you all have to offer.

Quick Reply: L92/6L80, 65 Nova