Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Russell quick disconnect fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I was looking that issue on my ls1..Got it solved.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw

Edelbrock has gotten my last dollar, as this has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Regards, John McGraw
I'm sold, but I am also having trouble finding an good place online to buy anything else for a comparable price to the Russel stuff.

I need the 5/16 to -6 an and the 3/8 to -6 an. Anybody got any links?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php...11c794db6c7ad5

I used this stuff on my dsm from tank to rail and never had any issues with leaks or popping off, and this is by far some of the cheapest an fittings/lines I have found online.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, It looks like I spoke too soon. I got a message on my cell phone from a gentleman at Edelbrock apologizing for the way this was handled and telling me that they have a fix for the problem and to please call him. I will give him a call Mon AM and see what I can find out. He indicated that their new design with the captive retainer was coming out of anodizing right now and was about ready to ship. I will let y'all know what the outcome is.

I have had problems with both the 5/16 and 3/8 fittings latching in place securely, but have only had the 3/8 fittings on the fuel rails turn loose once latched. I would guess that the vibration at the engine is the reason for these turning loose. I really like the concept of using a quick-disconnect at both the fuel rail and the regulator/filter. Any compression type fitting will always necessitate the replacement of the nut an ferrule when you have to replace the regulator/filter, so the quick disconnect is a great idea, but we just need to get one that latches securely and will not come off unless desired to.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-01-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

I am using the black Russell QD and had the same problem. It seems to me (with my fitting atleast) that the powder coating is very thick in the area where the lock engages causing it to slip out.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

I am curious as to what they have to say as I have run into this issue myself, but still use them with a slight modification.

The issue I have seen is not so much with the fitting, but with the line it is going on to. One the line there is the locking "hump" or "bubble" that the plactic retainer grabs on to. Some of these humps are thicker then others and example is the C5 Corvettes are thicker compared to the 98-02 F-bodies.

On the thicker hump lines, the plastic retianer will not easily clip down behind the hump and is more resting on the lip as there is not enough room for the "tangs" or retainer portion of the clip to settle properly.

In the case I have trimmed down the actual tangs or retainers about .030" or so with a razor blade and never had another issue.

I am not the best at describing things, but hopefully this makes sense.

So let us know what they have to say for sure.

Mike Norris
Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

He indicated that their new design with the captive retainer was coming out of anodizing right now and was about ready to ship.
I am waiting on this thread to order my fuel fittings. Any news on these new parts?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine started blowing fuel out the sides at the rail too. I thought I just hadn't pushed it on completely. I simply reconnected it and wrote it off as me overlooking something. Now I'm not so sure, better go take another look around, as I think I have 3 of these things in service on my truck
Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hs70ss
Have you ever had problems with the return line or just at the fuel rail.
fuel and evap for me
Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by theomms
I am waiting on this thread to order my fuel fittings. Any news on these new parts?
I talked to them this morning and they told me that the new design would be available to ship in a week or so. I have seen pics of the new design and it looks bullet-proof. The retainer is split to go around the line and then it screws into the body of the fitting. It should be impossible for it to ever come off.

Check out the first two pics in the following link:

http://www.edelbrock.com/new_products/russell.shtml

This should completely eliminate any possibility of the fitting ever coming off.

Guys, the gentleman was genuinely surprised when I told him that many others were having this same problem. I don't know if people just have been not complaining, or whether the Russell people have just been downplaying the problem to Edelbrock management, but he was shocked when I told him how many people have told me that they have had the same problem with these fittings. If you don't call and complain, the problem will never be fixed.

Regards, John Mcgraw
Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

I have used a fitting from Pure Choice Performance on my fuel rail since 2004. Never had any issues. It was used on my RX7 and is currently installed on my GTO.

http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com...rod&prd293.htm

Andrew
Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am still going to continue to braze AN fitting on hard lines whenever possible (Fuel Rail, tank sender, etc). Then I plan on using them QD only leading up to the Vette FPR, using these new design only where needed.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Teching In

I talked to them this morning and they told me that the new design would be available to ship in a week or so.

I like how the "new" product was added 9/16/2010, but we won't be able to order until next week.

Last edited by theomms; 05-02-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Thnks for that info, you may have saved a few rides. I am anti edelbroke, i have had friends that work for them and the quality just isnt there. The fittings odviously suck, there headers crack, there shocks are horrible, fuel pumps suck and nothing worse than popping your hood and everyone thinking your sponsored by EDELBROCK.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to them this morning and they told me that the new design would be available to ship in a week or so. I have seen pics of the new design and it looks bullet-proof. The retainer is split to go around the line and then it screws into the body of the fitting. It should be impossible for it to ever come off.

Check out the first two pics in the following link:

This should completely eliminate any possibility of the fitting ever coming off.

Guys, the gentleman was genuinely surprised when I told him that many others were having this same problem. I don't know if people just have been not complaining, or whether the Russell people have just been downplaying the problem to Edelbrock management, but he was shocked when I told him how many people have told me that they have had the same problem with these fittings. If you don't call and complain, the problem will never be fixed.

Regards, John Mcgraw
so theyll take my old ones on a trade in?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I had this exact same issue with these fittings a few years ago...I decided to never use their product again.

I tried the Aeromotive version of this fitting, and I've had great luck with them...they are much easier to slide on, you can actually hear and feel when they click into place, and they've held just fine for me. I have them on the factory feed hard line, the factory EVAP that I've converted to be my fuel return (so one on each end), one of the fuel filter, and two on the top of the fuel tank. No failures yet, even though they are pretty easy to release with just your bare fingers (there's a window in each fitting that lets you pinch the plastic ears together to release the fittings from the hard line).

The down side? Retardedly expensive...you order the fitting, only to find out that in addition to each fitting, you also need a separate o-ring boss to AN adapter to adapt it to the correct size. That makes it even more expensive. But they did let me retain the factory hard lines, are truly plug and play, and are very easy to use.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I have used a fitting from Pure Choice Performance on my fuel rail since 2004. Never had any issues. It was used on my RX7 and is currently installed on my GTO.

http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com...rod&prd293.htm

Andrew
I just called Pure choice...they sell the 5/16 and 3/8 to -6an as a set for $35 ($18ea).
Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irish350
so theyll take my old ones on a trade in?
I will not presume to speak for Edelbrock on this issue, but if you have fittings that have failed, I would contact them and see what they will do. I would doubt that they will just exchange out fittings that are functioning to the new style, but if you have fittings that failed, I would expect that they will make it right. The key to them getting on top of this issue is for those that have problems, bringing it to their attention. I am amazed at the number of people who I have talked to who had these fittings fail and just pulled them off and threw them in a drawer, without ever calling and complaining. They can't fix it if you don't contact them.

I will post my thoughts about the new fittings when they arrive.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone tried to flare the hard line and adapt a AN fitting?

MeentSS02, do you remember which Aeromotive fitting that was?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Well at least I'm not the only one with this issue...This happened to me today on the way home from work...Plastic piece stayed on the fuel rail but the aluminum piece popped off...Spewed fuel all over the place luckily not catching on fire because I was at full operating temp and everything was HOT!!! My heart sank when I was cruising and all of a sudden loss of power and a STRONG gas smell instantly...But I popped the alumnium piece back on and tugged on it and it would not budge?!?!?! It got me home but I'm nervous to drive it...

Quick Reply: Russell quick disconnect fittings