Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 or ls2 into 86/87 monte carlo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 or ls2 into 86/87 monte carlo?

can anyone point me into the right direction? looking into making this swap, so far ive found a base 86 monte carlo for 2k, runs so good enough to get to my house and work on prepping for the new engine, not sure what route to go engine wise though, i have some time to think it over while i get the car ready, is there a difference in difficulty with the ls1 over the ls2? my plan was buying a crashed ls1 f body(engine/trans/important components untouched of course) and doing the swap.. has anyone done this? and is it just a straight swap (f body engine w/tranny wise) or would i have to change anything for it to fit besides the mounts, and anything else you guys recommend i do for efficiency?

so far my plans arent that major, getting the engine in and getting all the components hooked and just getting her running is the main part, since im not getting much income money wise, but after i get more funds im looking for around 450-500 n/a to the wheels, nothing over the top just good ol power
Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Launching!

oh and what computer will i need and wat else would i need to swap?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

LS1 will be easier to do..

This will give ya some info..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-carlo-ss.html
Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Launching!

damn sonn that build was clean as hell thanks for the link, how long did it take you all together to build? and how much did you spend on all the other accessories not counting the engine/trans? i want to see around how much im going to spend..

and as for the car, like ive said i found an 86 monte for 2k running, so idk if there would be a difference in the years as to making this swap easier or would it be pretty much the exact same thing?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
LS1 will be easier to do..

This will give ya some info..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-carlo-ss.html
Why would an LS1 be easier to do over an LS2? Only difference that I know of would be the electronics. Externally they are the same size.

SSGoat, if you decide to go with just an engine/tranny instead of buying wrecked car. Contact Travis, I think he is on here as DaytonayellaZ, he is on pro-touring.com if not here.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samckitt
Why would an LS1 be easier to do over an LS2? Only difference that I know of would be the electronics. Externally they are the same size.

SSGoat, if you decide to go with just an engine/tranny instead of buying wrecked car. Contact Travis, I think he is on here as DaytonayellaZ, he is on pro-touring.com if not here.
is he selling one?
the cheapest i saw just an engine/trans was a 5.3 from a 03 silverado but idk what the difference is between that and the ls1/2
i find ls1's complete around 2k or i can just buy a wrecked f body for around 2-3k

the 5.3 i found was from a guy that wrecked it and was selling engine/trans for 1200, right now the idea is to get a newer engine into a monte, id rather an ls1 since its easier to find on a wrecked f body and has good power, its my first swap and first time doing major work on a vehicle so its pretty much a learn as i go project, should be fun..
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DaytonayellaZ is always selling them. He gets low mileage ones with uncut harness & sells them on the net.

Obviously a 5.3 from a truck is 5.3 liters, the LS1 is 5.7L, LS2 is 6.0, LS3 is 6.2L. Externally they are the same.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

DaytonayellaZ is always selling them. He gets low mileage ones with uncut harness & sells them on the net.

Obviously a 5.3 from a truck is 5.3 liters, the LS1 is 5.7L, LS2 is 6.0, LS3 is 6.2L. Externally they are the same.
yea i know its not an ls series but it shares ls features, just didnt know if they were similar in size/components/mounts wise..

but thanks, seems easier to find a truck 5.3 so i may just go that path.. ill keep you guys posted.. any other info is appreciated! lol thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SSGoat
damn sonn that build was clean as hell thanks for the link, how long did it take you all together to build? and how much did you spend on all the other accessories not counting the engine/trans? i want to see around how much im going to spend..

and as for the car, like ive said i found an 86 monte for 2k running, so idk if there would be a difference in the years as to making this swap easier or would it be pretty much the exact same thing?
It took us a week to drop it in the car and have it running..majority of the time was waiting on the driveshaft and the Oil Pan. If we had all the parts it wouldve been 4 days.
It's been a while..I had the Engine assembled already from it being in my Camaro. Headers were $650, the Crossmember was $160, and then just your averae prices on the accessories..

A G-body is pretty much the same..the V6 ones 86-up have the EFI Fuel Tank in them already. No biggie..they take like 20 min to change.

Engine wise it's no biggie..I was referring to the PCM and wiring, the LS1 stuff is easier to work with. The early 24X LS2 will work directly with a LS1 Harness & PCM with little modification.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:10 PM

I have an 84 monte carlo i was just thinking of mabe putting a ls1 in, im glad i joined this forum lol ive found threads on about anything ive thought of so far

Quick Reply: ls1 or ls2 into 86/87 monte carlo?