Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS project...if it'll work. Will it?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS project...if it'll work. Will it?

Hey guys my names Joey, from both north Memphis and south Philly (wierd mix). I know pretty much zip about LS1/2 Hybrids / conversions... Im a volkswagon guy! WAIT, DONT LEAVE YET! lol. Anyway, I got ASE cert'ed back at highschool in 01, and have forgotten much since then. I joined the military the day after 911 and just got out a few months ago. I'm back out here in Iraq doing the whole bs mercenary thing now, newly divorced, debt free, and finally getting paid enough $ to get a project build started. now all I need is info! Long story short, I want to build my Pops a 57 chevy pickup with a c5 chassis & LS1.Can it be done? If im smart, can I do it for under 40 grand? Hes an awesome guy and want to pay him back for bringing me up right. Thats his one of his favorite engines / trucks combined... and he owns neither, lol. He's retired military, and we didnt have much money growning up, and I remember promising him when I was about 12 that when I grew up and could afford it, Id get him a 57. Now I can make good on my promise and get this ball rolling. Thanks guys
Old 05-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Look in the back of HOT ROD magazine or CAR CRAFT magazine or SUPER CHEVY magazine
And in the sales or vendors section you will find companies that will build you a complete frame with Corvette suspension .
There are a few options , just a frame with the suspension or a complete rolling frame set up with engine and all the drive train in it , you just drop your 57 truck body on the fully assembled frame and you finish the rest of it.........

I am not sure about pricing your going to have to make a list of everything you want in it and go from there,,,

Good luck in your search , and thank you for defending our country , from the enemy's of this fine land we live in ,,,,,,,,,
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C5 does not actually have a chassis, but lots of guys have put C5 suspension pieces on a tube chassis. There are lots of vendors that will make you a chassis for the truck, but expect to pay 6-7K for a bare chassis. The rear transaxle can make for some fitment problems on some vehicles, so a lot of guys will use a C4 rear end and C5 front stuff. The C4 rear uses a standard front transmission placement and avoids having to modify the torque tube and a bunch of fabrication. The C4 rear suspension can be adapted to almost any chassis since it is pretty much a self-contained suspension unit.

You can do this for 40K if you work smart, but it will be tight.

SRIII Motorsports has built several Corvette suspension frames for me. Mike Stockdale is a great guy to work with and an outstanding fabricator.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you build it I think you can do it for under 40. Also consider starting with someone else's unfinished project. Lot's of us using truck engines to save $$$ and it's hard to tell when you pop the hood.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the good info guys, I can tell im going to like it here.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

You can purchase a complete C5 or C6 rolling chassis with drivetrain from http://www.fpartssalvage.com/wrecks.htm guys for under 10 grand depending on what options you're looking for
Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Teching In

cleveland pick a part also has good deals on vette chassis'. i picked up a complete C5 roller with a six speed....less motor for around 4 grand. then all you need to do is graft it onto the pickups frame.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the chassis you could check out Art Morrison's offerings.
http://artmorrison.com/maxg.php
They have built a tri-5 Chevy and an early 'Vette using their chassis with impressive results. I haven't looked very deeply into what is involved with ordering a chassis, but I hear they are more than happy to talk to you about your project.

Ken
Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Anything can be done with enough time and money..... with that being said, what you are going to attempt will be very costly. as they stated above the vette has no chassis just a torque tube holding everything together.... no mounting points to place a cab and bed. you can get more bang for your buck if you don't purchase parts associated with a "vette" gen three iron blocks are stronger and are a fraction of the cost around 400 for a complete 5.3 and 800ish for a 6.0. transmission is still a modified t56 or auto set up for independent rears.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Yeah slick, im realizing that the more i research. This is the way im thinking of going now. I think i might just go with a kit.

Search this Thread