Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-06 GTO LS2 Which Alt Will Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 05-06 GTO LS2 Which Alt Will Work?

Finished my swap and noticed that the clearance, I thought was enough, between the alternator pulley and the Steering box is not enough under load.

Its a 05 GTO LS2 engine with the same accessories. The LS2 has a clutch integrated into the pulley and as a result of the design, the snout of the alternator pulley sticks out twice as far as other alternators.

I cant find a standard pulley that will fit this alternator so here are the questions I need help answering.

1. Does anyone make a standard pulley to fit this alternator?

2. If the definitive answer to 1. is no then is there another alternator that will work i.e. bolt in, work, in this application so that i dont have to swap out the accessory brakets?

Money is tight these days for me so please respond if you have answers to the above or any other economical solutions along the lines of my questions.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Found this but not enough specifics regarding if it will work (Dont know if it is a shorter pulley as pictured or if the image is just a generic image)

Also not certain what the implications are if I ditch the clutch style pulley if it is possible. Im assuming accelerated wear and or more vibration but dont know for certain..

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...drive-Pulleys/

Anybody? Sloan? Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited by 2Aspire; 05-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Checked the source above.. No Dice on the clutch driven alternator..

I'm trying alternator refurb shops today but still nothing concrete..

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well what are you putting the ls2 into? I put an 05 ls2 from a gto in my 68 camaro. for clearnce issuses i used a 01 camaro ls1 alt. it bolts up the same and the case is smaller so it cleared the gearbox. my ls2 alt had a regular pulley on it so i dont understand the clutch driven one your speaking of. just the case was to big.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by montyafteryou
well what are you putting the ls2 into? I put an 05 ls2 from a gto in my 68 camaro. for clearnce issuses i used a 01 camaro ls1 alt. it bolts up the same and the case is smaller so it cleared the gearbox. my ls2 alt had a regular pulley on it so i dont understand the clutch driven one your speaking of. just the case was to big.
Thanks for the response.. I put it in a 1986 Monte Carlo SS..

Does the PCM for the 01 LS1 Camaro control the alternator? If so I could probably get a plug and use that...

I'm assuming you used the GTO bracketry that puts the alternator on the low driver side?

Here is a picture of the clutch driven alt.. Notice the additional length the clutch pulley adds..

Matt
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
rao
TECH Resident

The GTO and F-body drive belts are the same distance out from the block. I think that the alternator is in the same place (I am not very familiar with the GTO setup).

http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...ry_Code=FD-LSX

The F-body alternator has 1 wire that is controlled by the PCM. It uses 1 wire of a 4 pin connector.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Thanks to all for responding..

I found a pulley from an 05 6.0 liter truck application that worked.

Had some issues finding it as its not like many others as the bearing surface is recessed in on the GTO Alt case but this pulley fit it perfectly.

Anyone want to post a link to Aerosmiths back in the saddle again?

Ahh what the heck.. I'll do it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgUh6BNdq9Y
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Glad to hear it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. You said a pulley from a 05 6.0 liter truck application worked for you. What vehicle was it from? Where did you source the pulley from?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neal.sprouse
I have the same issue. You said a pulley from a 05 6.0 liter truck application worked for you. What vehicle was it from? Where did you source the pulley from?
Im not 100% certain but I think it was a 3500 series Siverado (2005 Chevy truck 6.0 liter).

And just to update.. My Alternator bearing took a dump.. It might have been that the GTO alternator accounts for the extra weight and is balanced with the original clutch style pulley. I dont know this for certain but It worked fine (other than the clearence issue) without any noise until about a week after I swapped the pulley.

Might want to keep that in mind..

In short, I swithced it over to a Chevy 3500 series 6.0 truck alternator, the 105 amp one.

This might be the one I took it the pulley from but I cant tell now that I have it installed.. I looked just now with a flashlight and I cant see it well enough to know for sure.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6_191410_4443_

This one mounted perfectly but I had to switch plugs as the new one uses a 4 pin plug rather than the GTO that uses a 2 pin. (Just a note..Only 2 pins are utilized in the 4 pin plug). I got the new plug, pins and rubber seals from Howell Fuel Injection.

Last edited by 2Aspire; 05-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 05-06 GTO LS2 Which Alt Will Work?