Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls into c4 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls into c4 corvette?

I've contacted several shops about putting an ls engine into my C4 Corvette. No one says no, but I haven't been able to move forward to a serious planning/budgeting phase.

Can anyone suggest a shop within a 1 or 2 day drive of the San Jose area that

A) is capable of doing this, or better yet, has done it?

B) is interested enough to participate in the planning/budget phase?

This isn't a trivial swap, but is doable. I'm doing my homework & believe I have a reasonable idea of the gross budget. I just need someone who will take me seriously & work with me to hammer out the details and get 'er done.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try contacting these guys http://www.barrywhitesrrc.com/, their located in Corona.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I will.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Try Doug's Brea Auto Electric, Drive it in, drive it out.. ask for Doug.. 714-256-2250 They specialize in putting the gen3 engine in random cars. Awesome wiring work.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

Originally Posted by UnitZ28
Try Doug's Brea Auto Electric, Drive it in, drive it out.. ask for Doug.. 714-256-2250 They specialize in putting the gen3 engine in random cars. Awesome wiring work.
Yikes! Googled their shop, clicked on the link, virus protection went nuts. Now internet explorer doesn't work properly & I'm waiting on a call back from my technical support folks.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tryed the Corvette Forum?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Have you tryed the Corvette Forum?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/
Yes, there's lots of good info there. Some of the folks who've done, and are doing LS/C4, swap are posting there and on other forums so I've been checking out & registering at other forums to learn more.

I've also purchased several books on LS swaps but none of them mention C4's, as far as I can tell from an initial look.

I've spent the last couple of hours running malware and virus scans. I've got iexplorer working again but am still going to have to have my tech guys clean up my computer. I'm a bit leary of tracking down the last shop mentioned after that, at least on the web.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.yatesefi.com Check out the build they did on the c4 vette!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
www.yatesefi.com Check out the build they did on the c4 vette!
Wow! A bit more than I had in mind...but...Wow!

P.S. I sent them a message to get their take on this, just out of curiosity.

Last edited by 3D87C4; 05-11-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: PS
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Assuming my virus problems had more to do with my computer than their web site (and trusting on better virus protection on my work computer) I visited Brea Auto Electrics web site & spoke with them today.

They were very generous with their time & sound like a good shop. I learned a few things about CA smog requirements that I hadn't picked up yet (for example can't use my existing '87 vintage Cats!). Their rough estimate was a real reality check for my budget, though. That's ok...it just reinforces the point of this thread, if this is going to happen the budget has to be worked through in detail before I pull the trigger & I need to find a shop that will help do that.

Please keep your recommendations coming.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help with the smog **** but here is my thread, hope it helps.
There are a lot of things that will nickle and dime you to death add 1k for that. You might only spend $300 but be prepared.
BTW... what year is your car?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-my-swap.html
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
I can't help with the smog **** but here is my thread, hope it helps.
There are a lot of things that will nickle and dime you to death add 1k for that. You might only spend $300 but be prepared.
BTW... what year is your car?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-my-swap.html
Hi,

I've been subscribing to your threads on the various forums.

I have an '87. It's running fine so I can be patient looking for a shop to work with. I'm definitely trying to do two things "wrong"---pay someone else to do the swap, and comply with the CA smog requirements. I realise there's a cost adder to both of these choices & am willing to pay it, to a point. I think the key will be a shop with C4 swap experience who's prepared to offer this as a turnkey service. Several seem to be close, but not there yet. I may just do a couple more cosmetic things (paint, carpet, weather stripping...) and wait to see what develops.

The folks I talked to yesterday encouraged me to supercharge. I expressed concern about the bottom end of my engine (58000 miles) & they said 'so what, those engines are cheap, if it fails replace it'. I could go through several engines for what some folks are asking for the LS swap so there may be something to this.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
Hi,

I've been subscribing to your threads on the various forums.

I have an '87. It's running fine so I can be patient looking for a shop to work with. I'm definitely trying to do two things "wrong"---pay someone else to do the swap, and comply with the CA smog requirements. I realise there's a cost adder to both of these choices & am willing to pay it, to a point. I think the key will be a shop with C4 swap experience who's prepared to offer this as a turnkey service. Several seem to be close, but not there yet. I may just do a couple more cosmetic things (paint, carpet, weather stripping...) and wait to see what develops.

The folks I talked to yesterday encouraged me to supercharge. I expressed concern about the bottom end of my engine (58000 miles) & they said 'so what, those engines are cheap, if it fails replace it'. I could go through several engines for what some folks are asking for the LS swap so there may be something to this.
The hardest part is the wiring. I think you would be surprised what you can fins a LSX for. Your biggest challenge may be smog.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

5.3s are almost as cheap as 350s make the same or better power and get better fuel economy.

Going for an aluminum block or big cubes changes that but an iron truck engine is easily doable on the cheap.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
5.3s are almost as cheap as 350s make the same or better power and get better fuel economy.

Going for an aluminum block or big cubes changes that but an iron truck engine is easily doable on the cheap.
Not in CA though, no truck engines allowed.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Not in CA though, no truck engines allowed.
That sucks.

Another add to the list of reasons that I will never move to CA.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Just an update:

I'm starting to get real quotes and am going to have to make a decision soon. So far the numbers are a bit higher than I'd hoped, but that's because I'm starting to lean toward the EROD LS3 swap as the easiest way to satisfy CA emissions.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an update:

I'm starting to get real quotes and am going to have to make a decision soon. So far the numbers are a bit higher than I'd hoped, but that's because I'm starting to lean toward the EROD LS3 swap as the easiest way to satisfy CA emissions.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
I saw that on Hot rod TV.They are expensive. GL
Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
I saw that on Hot rod TV.They are expensive. GL
True. The quotes I'm getting are close to what I've budgeted but I am still losing some sleep trying to rationalize the expense.

One thing to keep in mind is that I'm replacing a fairly low mileage engine (58K) and don't want to swap in a used engine with higher mileage. This means finding a low mileage engine or overhauling a higer mileage one, both of which add to the costs. With the EROD I get a new engine (with warantee) for only about $3K more than the used one would cost (plus missing accesories).

If I could do it myself, my cost structure would be quite different, but I just don't have the time or energy (and am many years away from high school auto shop).

If the costs line up I'll do it, if not I'll put the money into paint and interior restoration and wait, the L98 will last a while.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True. The quotes I'm getting are close to what I've budgeted but I am still losing some sleep trying to rationalize the expense.

One thing to keep in mind is that I'm replacing a fairly low mileage engine (58K) and don't want to swap in a used engine with higher mileage. This means finding a low mileage engine or overhauling a higer mileage one, both of which add to the costs. With the EROD I get a new engine (with warantee) for only about $3K more than the used one would cost (plus missing accesories).

If I could do it myself, my cost structure would be quite different, but I just don't have the time or energy (and am many years away from high school auto shop).

If the costs line up I'll do it, if not I'll put the money into paint and interior restoration and wait, the L98 will last a while.
I had a custom HSR intake and Fast burn heads.. Buuutt I bet you make a lot of your money back selling your Low mileage stuff. I sold all the parts i no longer needed for close to 3K. I still have the short block

Quick Reply: ls into c4 corvette?