Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Step to LSX 70 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Step to LSX 70 Chevelle

I took my first steps to retrofitting my 70 Chevelle with an LSX. Sold a 4 bolt Gen I 350 and purchased a long block 02 Tahoe LM7 with 60K miles for $150.

First instinct is that something is wrong with it. I am going through the block and I've found the following issues:
1. Cylinder wall in chamber 1 has a slight scratch. Looks like the tried to install the head with the head bolts attached to the head and it scratched the wall. Very minor. Pictures to come soon.
2. Exhaust manifold bolt broke inside the head.
3. I have to look for LM7 or LS1 intake/TB/fuel rail/MF sensor/ injectors/coil pack, etc.

Any tips or suggestions?

Should I sell the engine and keep looking?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by motown07
I took my first steps to retrofitting my 70 Chevelle with an LSX. Sold a 4 bolt Gen I 350 and purchased a long block 02 Tahoe LM7 with 60K miles for $150.

First instinct is that something is wrong with it. I am going through the block and I've found the following issues:
1. Cylinder wall in chamber 1 has a slight scratch. Looks like the tried to install the head with the head bolts attached to the head and it scratched the wall. Very minor. Pictures to come soon.
2. Exhaust manifold bolt broke inside the head.
3. I have to look for LM7 or LS1 intake/TB/fuel rail/MF sensor/ injectors/coil pack, etc.

Any tips or suggestions?

Should I sell the engine and keep looking?
I would start with an engine package that is as complete as possible. The little things will end up nickle and dimeing you to death and in the end will cost more.

Andrew
Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Thanks. I am starting to lean that route. I have no experience with swaps, so I figured that I would piece it together, look for deals and a year from now have a nice engine built to drop in the Chevelle. I am in rush at the moment, but at the same time I don't want to pay more than I have to.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd sell the long block on craigslist for $175 and buy a complete motor that you know runs for $500 or so. 5.3s are about as common as, well, chevy trucks I guess.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I wouldn't bother with your engine much. I bought a complete 5.3 out of a 04 Silverado with less than 100k on it for $300. Good news is you prolly won't have a hard time getting your money back on what you have, I ultimately parted my 5.3 out (to get a 6.0) and made almost double my $300.

P.S. If you are in a hurry then now is prolly not the best time to do your swap. You will either make too many compromises or end up cobling something together that your not happy with and end up doing it over in the long run.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM

I sold the engine and made a $20 profit. So now I am researching like no tomorrow trying to make a low budget lsx swap.

The main purpose for the swap is dependability, no more gas/smog smell after a drive and budget. So I am definitely going with a 5.3L with the truck intake. Seen some for as low as $500 at the junk yards.

I've been reading the following thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...de-1500-a.html
and its good and all but there are some things that are not specific to an A-Body. For example: Can I go with the stock exhaust on a 5.3L ? Can I use my stock fuel tank? What if I use a 95 Impala gas tank? Will the driveshaft have to be cut if I use my TH350?

What other issues may I run across?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

You should be able to use your same driveshaft just use the 1" setback plates. Impala tank would prolly be the easiest.

Quick Reply: First Step to LSX 70 Chevelle