Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone please suggest some fuel fittings to me

Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone please suggest some fuel fittings to me

I am about to put through an order for fuel fittings for my LS1 swap into my 81 Corvette. I could really do with some help getting part numbers for the fittings I require. Also is there a good source (can be an Ebay seller) for getting all the fittings and cheap?

System goes:
Tank ----> flexible hose ----> Walbro external pump (with female 10mm threads I think) ----> flexible hose ----> Corvette filter regulator ----> flexible hose ----> Steel line down car ----> Flexible line across engine bay to fuel rail

The list of fittings I need are:
Fuel Pump
- Inlet
- Outlet

Filter Regulator
- Inlet
- Outlet
- Return

Steel line
- From filter
- To flexible hose in engine bay

Flexible hose in engine bay
- From steel line
- To fuel rail

Now I do not care what the fittings look like, brand name, etc... I just want what is a good set of fittings that will give me no hassels.

Last edited by cshaw; 05-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Suggest you list the parts and how the system is being set up..
Pump: intank, external, what brand, etc.
Same w/ filter info.
Line sizes.
Rail hook up info.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We offer internal and external fuel pump kits with braided hose and russel fittings. If interested, PM for price quote.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out this guy....

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/

go to 'engine conversion' and C3 LS1, and fuel system. I am attempting to the same exact thing he does to a C3 tank to my 2nd gen fbody tank. I'll be documenting all work and posting it here.

Leon
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

that's a good start
Old 05-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Teching In

That picture has been really helpful, thank you!

The only fittings left to choose are for the steel hardlines. Can anyone suggest some part numbers for these?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cshaw
That picture has been really helpful, thank you! The only fittings left to choose are for the steel hardlines. Can anyone suggest some part numbers for these?
Tongboy's diagram is an excellent example!

Are you still referring to the fuel system? The only place that comes to my mind for this application is at the gas tank sending unit lines.

Since I have the numbers handy, there are some fittings available to adapt AN hose to hard lines (in some sizes) from Jegs. The -AN6 male to 3/8" hard line adapter is part number 555-110551 and the -AN6 female to 3/8" hard line adapter is part number 555-110550. Jegs does not list adapters to any other hard line sizes.

Russell's website would be a good information source as would Aeroquip's.

Dorman also has some repair kits that may be useful.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

I would not recommend those quick disconnect fuel fittings to my worst enemy.
I have now had 3 of these fittings come off in use and have sprayed gas all over the engine. Russell has a new design fitting that should be available any day now that has a positive capture design that will not allow the fitting to blow off. The new design uses a split nut that threads into the rear of the fitting positively locking the fitting on to the line. Call the Russell customer support line for more info on these fittings. I am waiting for a shipment of them to come in right now and will post some pics when they arrive. If you can hold off a week or two, I would wait for the new design, but I would not put the old design on under any circumstances.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since my neighbor suggested I use his dorman fuel line kit for nylon lines, and my brother had a flare kit for the pump feed and return lines I decided to use this for my build.

I used a flaring kit to put the stock flare for the GM quick connect on the 3/8 feed and 5/16 return lines.

The reasons were simple..

1. Ease of connect\disconnect specifically for the fuel filter\regulator.

2. Ease of routing the length of the car.

3. No need to alter the stock fuel rail connection.

4. Cheap as I didnt have to buy much of the parts to perform

Since I have an LS2 from a GTO I dont have a return line on my fuel rail.. With this in mind.. I placed the regulator\filter as close to the tank as possible by putting it where the stock lines anchor to the rear of the car just forward of the gas tank..

The vapor line I left alone as I decided to leave the entire vapor line route for the car in tact ( you will see the stock vapor line in the picture of the fuel filter\regulator)

Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Ok I am a completely new to all the different type of fittings out there for fuel injection. I think I am now more than confused than before I started this post. So if I can get the following questions answered it might go a long way to narrowing down exactly what I need to buy.

1. Has anyone else had problems with the Russell quick connect adapters? Can someone please recommend a better adapter for the fuel regulator?

2. Is the quick connect fitting on the fuel rail that GM use compatable with all other types of quick connect? If not please suggest fittings to use.

3. I have read alot in the last week about how fuel vapour can "leak" from some lines. So can someone suggest what line I should use?

4. Can other people please post the fittings/hose they used for their systems?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

That picture has been really helpful, thank you!

The only fittings left to choose are for the steel hardlines. Can anyone suggest some part numbers for these?
I have atleast 1 6an to 3/8 hardline fitting maybe 2 I need 8an-3/8 so if u still need em pm me.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I would not recommend those quick disconnect fuel fittings to my worst enemy.
I have now had 3 of these fittings come off in use and have sprayed gas all over the engine. Russell has a new design fitting that should be available any day now that has a positive capture design that will not allow the fitting to blow off. The new design uses a split nut that threads into the rear of the fitting positively locking the fitting on to the line. Call the Russell customer support line for more info on these fittings. I am waiting for a shipment of them to come in right now and will post some pics when they arrive. If you can hold off a week or two, I would wait for the new design, but I would not put the old design on under any circumstances.

Regards, John McGraw

Russel is releasing a new design with threaded pieces on the hard line for security but all I do with the push on style is put an o ring on the line before the push lock then roll the oring in to prevent the push lock from disengaging. If I need to remove it I use a curved pick to back out the o ring. No problems with this method. However once the new style is out I will use them for cleaness of installation and added security.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

exactly what the guy above me said about the russell line - it's a good fitting if you use something to hold it on for a good guarantee, there aren't a lot of comparable options, I understand a few of the other AN manufacturers make an adapter that's about double the price. as I already have a russell line secured on i'll just replace it with a russell (hopefully via warranty) when they release their new one.

If I was doing it over again I wouldn't hesitate to take my fuel line and an AN bung to the local hose shop and have it welded on instead of dealing with the cost of an adapter - I bet it would be about the same price and guaranteed to never give you issues
Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Hang on, are we all talking about different things here? The original poster that said the Russell fitting could come off made it sound like he was refering to the Quick Connect to AN adapters, that attach to the filter/regulator and the GM fuel rail. Other posts sound like they are talking about the hard line to AN style adapters.

Can someone please clarify what the fitting is that is problematic?

Also opions on types of fuel hoses would be great.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Ok here is a picture of my system setup:

Has anyone used a flaring tool and just flared the fuel rail to put a AN-6 nut and sleeve on it? That is what I am thinking of doing in my setup.

Any comments would be good.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Hang on, are we all talking about different things here? The original poster that said the Russell fitting could come off made it sound like he was refering to the Quick Connect to AN adapters, that attach to the filter/regulator and the GM fuel rail. Other posts sound like they are talking about the hard line to AN style adapters.

Can someone please clarify what the fitting is that is problematic?

Also opions on types of fuel hoses would be great.
the russell fitting that is the issue is the quick connect on the rail or the fuel filter/regulator to AN adapter. the hard line to AN is basically a compression fitting to AN and you'd be hard pressed to get that to fail.

hmm... I just realized I have a second failure possibility at my fuel regulator I hadn't thought of after my fuel-rail fitting failed at the rail... i'm going to look at that tomorrow - though it wouldn't be as troublesome as it would have to shoot further to spray gas onto the exhaust compared to the top of the engine bay...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Any thoughts on the Teflon hose? The fittings are a little bit more expensive but the hose doesn't seem to be too badly priced. THe assembly of the hose seems a little more fiddly though.

Any opionions would be great?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

I used all aeroquip TFE Teflon hose on my car. Assembly was very easy and not a single leak on the 6 hoses on my car. Ive used a lot of different hoses over the years and I really like the Teflon the best.

I used Swagelok fittings for all my tube adapters. They are very quick to install, are rated at very high working pressure, and won't leak or vibrate loose. I had flared lines with tube nuts but they were nothing but trouble for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info here!!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Do the swagelock fittings require any flaring of the line? The car I am installing the engine into is a 81 Corvette C3. I think the original hard line I want to use is steel and a lot of the fittings that seem to be available look like they are made for aluminium lines only. I was just going to use a AN-6 nut and sleeve on the line to attach the fittings. Are these the types of fittings you had problems with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can someone please suggest some fuel fittings to me