Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 68 camaro hotchkis lowering springs? ride? and height?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 68 camaro hotchkis lowering springs? ride? and height?

Hey guys, i wanna know what you think about the ride and height on the hotchkis drop springs in a 68 camaro with an ls2. Now originally, i was thinking about the 2 inch drop springs for a small block set up. Furthermore, i know the ls2 is quiet a bit lighter. Which people are saying the hotchkis 2 inch drop leaves the car sitting more like a stock height... So, i was thinking to run a 3 inch drop spring. Would this leave the car too low or will it have a harsh ride? If anyone has any experiance or input on the topic don't be afraid to pitch in... thanks for any help
Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any opinions
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the bb springs with a LS motor in a 69. I went that way because I wanted the front and back to be even. That was before I put the ls motor in. The only difference is the spring is a 1/2inch higher than the small block spring. It should make the front pretty much even with the back since it appears my front is a little higher now than the back. Either way it should be pretty good to start since it will drop the car quite a bit from stock.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All things being equal or the same as before you put the engine in, I see no reason that it will drop after the engine is swapped... but should rasie the car some due to the lower weight of the replacem,ent engine. well have to use lowering spindels, springs or other methods to bring it back to where it was or lower than what it was originally.

Static height of the springs unweighted means nothing, it is the compressed height, weight of the car, the spring rate (in lbs), the number coils and how tight they are that will setup the car to be lower or higher.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Contact Detroit Eaton Spring. http://www.eatonsprings.com/ they can help you with your drop/stock springs or even springs to lift a vehicle. As posted above there is alot that determins ride height. Unfortunatly Springs such as hotchkiss and Global west Usually only make generic "drop" springs. In most cases they do not take into consideration the weight of accessories such as A/C, or type of trans Manual Vs. Auto. So there certainly will not be a magic spring that will put your LS swap exactly where you want the stance. Of course I know that most of us will not go through the effort but these guys have Spring blueprints for cars dating back to the 20's and have the ability to determine spring rates for these types of swaps based on engine weights. so if you wasnt tot put an LS in a 69 GTO and want it to be at the stock height, 1 inch lower or 1.5" lower they can do that for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
All things being equal or the same as before you put the engine in, I see no reason that it will drop after the engine is swapped... but should rasie the car some due to the lower weight of the replacem,ent engine. well have to use lowering spindels, springs or other methods to bring it back to where it was or lower than what it was originally.

Static height of the springs unweighted means nothing, it is the compressed height, weight of the car, the spring rate (in lbs), the number coils and how tight they are that will setup the car to be lower or higher.
Agreed with this statement, Just because the spring looks like it is made equal certainly does not make it the same. A BBC spring may only look like it is 1/2 taller but in actual fact the coils may be tighter bound togeter or the spring rate of the steel they are made from can be greater.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls2 68 camaro hotchkis lowering springs? ride? and height?