Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 or 4l80E? also a few other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 or 4l80E? also a few other questions...

I have an 01 2500 silverado with an Lq4 and a 4l80E trans that runs and shifts perfectly and dosent smoke at all.. first off the odometer reads 250K. The guy i bought the truck from said that his grandpa bought the truck and towed it behind a camper and thats how the mileage racked up.. i didnt believe that one bit, but I bought the truck anyway.. i could scrap it and profit off the deal.

Its possible this engine has 250K on it, but if the compression readings are good, is there any reason i should get another engine or keep going with the one I have? I plan to keep the engine stock besides the needed mods such as a ls6 intake and etc. I will be swapping this into a 93-97 camaro.

Next question.. I have the 4l80E in the truck and like i said, its cherry. Should I swap this transmission into the camaro or should I sell it and just do a T56? This will be a street car/daily driver. Ive had a couple T56 cars, one of which i swapped in and I loved it.. but I also like the fact of having an auto for a change. What would be cheaper in the longrun? T56 or 4l80E? IE how much money would it cost between shoehorning this trans into an fbody and just selling it to get a T56?

Also this dosent really matter, but Ill ask anyway.. how many MPGS would I between a t56 and 4l80E?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the compression is good these engines are supposed to last forever so you would probably be fine. On the other hand if you don't mind rebuilding it you might get away with honing it and being done with it, you could add a cam while you are in there. You are probably safe but do you want to pull it out later if you aren't?
With the 4l80, it might fit but you'll need a shorter drive shaft whereas the stick will swap in with junk yard parts. Plus its more fun if you aren't in traffic constantly.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Asking whether to go with the 4l80e or a t56, is kind of like asking for an opinion between the blonde, the brunette and the red head, it's all in what you like better. That said, since you already have the 4l80e, and you say it's good, then that will be your cheapest route. There's no way you could sell it for enough to buy a t56, at least where I live anyway. But, the t56 would make the car more fun to drive, and would get better mileage than the auto.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Ls1nova71... LOL..

Unless the 01 Truck has a cable driven Speedo.. then even if the truck was towed behind the Camper/RV.. the VSS, PCM and BCM would need to be powered up for the VSS to generate a signal the PCM and BCM would need to be powered up to do anything with the VSS Signal.

250k on the bottom end of the engine might not be bad as long as the oil was changed and the oil pressure and compression is good. But on the top end, I would consider a refresh of the heads (valve guides and seals).

Do it before you stick it in any thing.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Asking whether to go with the 4l80e or a t56, is kind of like asking for an opinion between the blonde, the brunette and the red head, it's all in what you like better. That said, since you already have the 4l80e, and you say it's good, then that will be your cheapest route. There's no way you could sell it for enough to buy a t56, at least where I live anyway. But, the t56 would make the car more fun to drive, and would get better mileage than the auto.
If I have to choose one, I'll take the red head... no wait, the brunette, well, darn I think I want the blonde... Hell I can't decide.
Man, you're always good for a laugh.

I agree, using what you own is going to be MUCH less expensive than finding a used T-56. I have a project that needs a T-56 and trying to find a deal on a one that doesn't need to be rebuilt is like living through getting struck by lightening twice in the same evening, winning the lottery later that week and living long enough to enjoy it all.

...and if you drive like I do, I would have the transmission gone through before you do your swap.

Quick Reply: T56 or 4l80E? also a few other questions...