Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to switch from Truck to car accessories

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to switch from Truck to car accessories

I just got off the phone with Andrew @ Jaguar Specialties. He makes a kit to put LS engines into XK8's. He said I need to have the car accessory setup and not the truck one.
I bought a LY5 (gen 4) 4.8L out of an '07 silverado with all the accessories included. Do I just need to buy a different bracket deal or something or do I have to totally replace the stuff I have, or a mix of the two?

TIA: Jason
Old 07-09-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go to a salvage yard and use the 98-02 camaro accessories or buy them individually from the dealership. I bought the crank pulley new from the dealer. I bought a 2004 GTO water pump from Advance auto and the alternator bracket, idler pulley, and tensioner I have is off of a 2008 corvette from the dealer. You can mix and match but spacers may be needed to accommodate. I would find a wreck camaro or firebird and strip off all of the front accessories if it were me. You could look in the classifieds here on LS1tech and see if someone has what you need. GM sells the entire kit if you want to go that route and can afford it. I think its like $800-$900 for everything brand new.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck finding any F body parts at a salvage yard. But like said above check the classifieds on here.

The F body and truck drives run the belt a different distance from the block. the vette set ups run a different spacing than the truck and F body. That is why you typically have to source everthing together to make it work right.

For a complete everything it includes the water pump, crank pulley and accesory brackets. Like said above sometimes you can use spacers to make one work with the other. It is also possible to move the WP pulliy in or out to make it work with different accessories.

Easiest solution is to trade everthing with someone who needs what you have.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

You can also buy complete accessory kits from GMPP. They are available in Corvette and F-Body with or without air conditioning and I think it is a really good price. I think you can get a complete Vette accessory system with A/C for under $900. It includes everything.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Holy crap! $900 to put car type accessories on the front of a motor. I only paid $740 for a 61k mile motor,trans, accessories and a bunch of other stuff. I dont want to wind up with $3000 worth of stuff to put a sub $500 engine into a car.... this is frustrating.

TY for the inputs so far tho....
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by postal14
Holy crap! $900 to put car type accessories on the front of a motor.
I paid $500 for used Vette accessories and by the time it was over I had to have the alternator rebuilt, replace the idler pulleys, replace the harmonic dampener and the belt. So I would say I have $750 in my Vette Accessory set up but that includes the starter.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The front end accessories aren't cheap! This is why I am using the stock truck FEAD.

Try LKQ for used brackets, accessories, and pulleys.

IMHO it is going to be a LOT easier to find truck accessories in a junkyard than vette or F body.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I have a full set of truck accessories already, they came on and are still installed on the motor...
I did go out and spent about 30 mins staring at the accessory set up. I THINK the reason Andrew at jag specialties is saying I need to switch to the car set up is because of the altenator. The truck altenator mounts high on the drivers side. It looks like it would be a good bit higher than a LS1 style intake manifold. The alt is also at the front of the motor where hood clearance in an XK8 is at a minimum (low hood line and it really dives when you get up close to the radiator).

BTW its kind of funny to see that two of the guys responding to this are buick guys. I am a long time GN owner. I have owned 3 gn's, 1 t-type, and one turbo TA. I have a 87 gn twin turbo stage car in progress right now. I also have a spare 86 motor and a spare stage II motor. An argument could be made that maybe a turbo Buick motor should be going into this Jag. Then maybe put this LS motor into something else. Infact I have a buddy that has a 87 T-type for sale thats already caged and a few other things that would make putting this LS motor in it with a turbo........ I need another toy like I need a hole in the head tho.

BUT.... I do have a brand new garrett GT4202R dual ball bearing turbo thats good to about 1000hp just sitting in my garage on the shelf.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Old School Heavy

I had an 87 T-Type and an 87 GN. I totaled both of them. I don't think I am allowed to own those anymore.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

You can probably mount the alternator in the F body position with the truck accessories. You would need to get an F body alt bracket, but since the truck runs the belts farther out you would need to mount the bracket with some spacers. You would also have to modify the back mount (or delete it).
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Is the f-body altenator smaller than the truck one? Even tho the truck pulleys are farther out in front of the block than the car ones the back of the truck altenator still goes over the top of the driver side head / valve cover. If you lowered a truck one you would hit the head unless you moved it even farther forward, and then the belt wouldnt line up anymore. If the car ones are lower then I'm thinking they have to be smaller. I did go back and review the budget swap guide sticky and the guy who wrote that was saying something about using a pre-LS (tpi /tbi) altenator. There is only a pic or two in that sticky, but it looks like these older alt's are small enough to go in front of the head instead of over the top and still have same space between the back of the alt and the head when the serpentine is lined up. He also states that making a bracket for it isnt a big deal. I have a TIG welder and I have a decent amount of experience welding aluminum and also stainless with it.

I have to have atleast 2 GN altenators out in my garage I wonder if they are the same ones he is talking about? I'll have to dig one out tomorrow and check it out.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by postal14
Is the f-body altenator smaller than the truck one? Even tho the truck pulleys are farther out in front of the block than the car ones the back of the truck altenator still goes over the top of the driver side head / valve cover. If you lowered a truck one you would hit the head unless you moved it even farther forward, and then the belt wouldnt line up anymore. If the car ones are lower then I'm thinking they have to be smaller. I did go back and review the budget swap guide sticky and the guy who wrote that was saying something about using a pre-LS (tpi /tbi) altenator. There is only a pic or two in that sticky, but it looks like these older alt's are small enough to go in front of the head instead of over the top and still have same space between the back of the alt and the head when the serpentine is lined up. He also states that making a bracket for it isnt a big deal. I have a TIG welder and I have a decent amount of experience welding aluminum and also stainless with it.

I have to have atleast 2 GN altenators out in my garage I wonder if they are the same ones he is talking about? I'll have to dig one out tomorrow and check it out.
The bolt spacing is different on the GN alternators. It does not fit the LS alt. brackets. I went there.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

F body's mount the alternator sort of below and off to the side of the head. No need to move them forward. you would just need to move it out enough to align the belt.

I made a bracket to mount a Denso mini alternator off to the side of the head. No real reason to stick to GM models if something else works better.

Kwik performance sells a bracket that lets you mount the alternator in the vette position with the truck accessories/belt spacing. If you have room off to the side of the head it might be an option.

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html

Interestingly the thread I pulled that picture from talks about using the truck alt with an F body bracket and truck accessories. You will need to drill and tap a hole to mount the bracket, and the truck alt is an inch longer than the F body but otherwise works.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...n-block-2.html

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: need to switch from Truck to car accessories