Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 GTO fuel tank options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 GTO fuel tank options

Hi, Looking for advice on my fuel system for my 1970 GTO. Many of the threads I've found are a few years old so hopefully someone has found a few more options out there.

My goal is to run with the stock 400ci carburated setup for the next couple of months while I plan out the conversion build. I need to get a new tank b/c the stocker rusted and had too much sludge, but I would perfer to find an option which allowed me to purchase only one tank and reduce the amount of work during the conversion. Here are some of the options I've come up with:

1) Purchase a Spectre Premium stock replacement tank (for the carb setup) and later add the Tanks inc. FI pump setup. My problem with this is I'm unsure if this tank is baffled or has a bucket which may lead to fuel starvation problems.....any feedback from others?

2) Purchase ^^ tank and modify tank with Competition Engineering (or similiar) sump prior to carburated use so that I can just run lines with an external pump for the conversion. (keep sump lines plugged until conversion)

3) Thunderstruck507 idea. I need to see pics to understand because I'm unsure how he got his bucket into the tank and was able to weld it in place without completely cutting open the tank?

4) Run stock replacement tank and then run early 90's impala tank (works for chevelle's so it should for the GTO too right?) I don't really like this option due to the visibility of the tank from the rear, but I think it may perform better than the other options, no?

5)Custom surge tank setup?

6) purchase Rick's Gas Tank for $$$$. Not sure if I care if I have a show quality tank. Wish there was a compromise replacement that would function well with both Carbed setups and FI in tank pumps which was plastic or just OE.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by nlpy8b; 07-14-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on what your going to do with the car, drag or road/auto-x ? or just street and daily driver..

IMO go with #1, #3 and #4

#2, external.. too much noise. I would if was a Racing application
#5, why, would if could not come up with a alternative.
#6, if you can afford it.

I went with #4 myself. it should work with very little modification. Just stick a Warlbo 255 pump in.. i used a Racetronix pump and wiring kit for a B-Body. your gas gauge will also continue to work, 90ohm..!

#1 You can just pick up a stock replacement, it really doesn't have to be a Spectra tank, Many (most) have used this setup without problems. I most likely will go this route for my 71 Nova that is just slowly moving along.

keep us posted..

BC
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your input. I actually learned of the impala tank swap through one of your old threads, but I'm still unsure if I want it hanging out in the back.

FYI..It will be an aggressive street car (forced induction ls based motor with 6-650whp), with just a few road/auto-x days.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Choice 7 could be to get a tank from the junkyard ( I know, I'm cheap). I run an external pump off the stock carb tank setup. As far as noise, the exhaust is waaaayyyyy louder than the pump will ever be.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
Choice 7 could be to get a tank from the junkyard ( I know, I'm cheap). I run an external pump off the stock carb tank setup. As far as noise, the exhaust is waaaayyyyy louder than the pump will ever be.
This was my thought. I'll be running Lt headers with a pair of performance mufflers out back, I can't imagine being able to hear a fuel pump over exhaust???

The only concern I have with this is some post I've read that mention having to mount the external pump below the tank because although they "push" fuel very well, external pumps dont pull fuel very well from the tank TO the inline pump. Have you had any of these issues or starvation issues? What kind of driving do you do?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have read that people don't like the whine of the low end elect pumps. Some people have really good hearing and the noise annoys them. It is a different sound/frequency than the exhaust pulses. It doesn't really bother me though.

Quick Reply: 1970 GTO fuel tank options