Sponsored by:

Questions on a LS 68 Camaro Swap I am preparing for

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions on a LS 68 Camaro Swap I am preparing for

Hello Everyone,

I am getting ready to take the plunge and start an LS conversion on my 68 camaro. I have a good idea of what I want to do but have a few questions. I would be happy to hear any comments or answers to the following questions. I might be mistaken on some things below as there is alot of info out there and it is hard to sort it all out:

Regarding the use of different mounts or adaptor plates I have read that BRP's mounts require the use of the LH8 pan which is kind of deep.
  • How far down does this pan actually go below the frame and are there any more shallow pans anyone has successfully used with the BRP mounts.

I also read somewhere that BRP 'plates' cause clearance issues with the transmission tunnel.
  • Are the 'plates' the same as the mounts that they sell in their kit and are there clearance issues when using with a 4L60 style transmission?
  • How about exhaust pipe clearance, any issues?

If I go the Autocraft route using their pan and adaptor plates it sounds like there are not any issues with the pan hanging down below the frame.
  • If I am using a 4l60 transmission what type of trans crossmember have people been using with this combo?
  • Are there any exhaust clearance issues?

Any other combinations I should look into besides what I have already talked about?

Thanks for any and all input you can give me on this.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used street and performance motor plates,an autokraft pan and stainless works headers!everything fit really nice!my header is close to my power steering pump but im using aftermarket pump !my exhaust sits at the perfect height!just make sure what u use all works together!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The later style of BRP designed the kit with the LH8 or CTS-V pan. The LH8 pan is about 2.5" deeper that an F-Body pan (5") with the CTS-V being about 6.75". So, with that in mind, they mounted the engine a bit higher to give the pan some more ground clearance (per the image, about even or just a bit below). Anytime you push the engine back or up, it might cause clearance issues.

With the kit, you can pretty much us any pan as long as the slump will clear the Steering links and ends (1st gen F-Body is rear steer). So..Any of the aftermarket will also work (they all have smaller rear slumps) with the kit.

Cast pans like MAST or Holley is another good option over the Steel ones (Champ, Autocraft, etc)

The BRP kit comes with a Trans X-member. There are aftermarket kit (Speedway, etc) and custom fitted one also. G-Force (and others).

I used a Th400 and modified it to work.. i cut the center section out. Welded some 1/4" plates going backward and then put a tube between the plates with a tab. So it has the Exhaust area that raises up to clear pipes ok. still finishing it up, else I would post a picture.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

see my build thread in my sig....
Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I used street and performance motor plates,an autokraft pan and stainless works headers!everything fit really nice!my header is close to my power steering pump but im using aftermarket pump !my exhaust sits at the perfect height!just make sure what u use all works together!!!
Thanks for the response BMF5150. What transmission are you using and if it is a 4l60 what trans crossmember are you using?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
The later style of BRP designed the kit with the LH8 or CTS-V pan. The LH8 pan is about 2.5" deeper that an F-Body pan (5") with the CTS-V being about 6.75". So, with that in mind, they mounted the engine a bit higher to give the pan some more ground clearance (per the image, about even or just a bit below). Anytime you push the engine back or up, it might cause clearance issues.

With the kit, you can pretty much us any pan as long as the slump will clear the Steering links and ends (1st gen F-Body is rear steer). So..Any of the aftermarket will also work (they all have smaller rear slumps) with the kit.

Cast pans like MAST or Holley is another good option over the Steel ones (Champ, Autocraft, etc)

The BRP kit comes with a Trans X-member. There are aftermarket kit (Speedway, etc) and custom fitted one also. G-Force (and others).

I used a Th400 and modified it to work.. i cut the center section out. Welded some 1/4" plates going backward and then put a tube between the plates with a tab. So it has the Exhaust area that raises up to clear pipes ok. still finishing it up, else I would post a picture.
Thanks for the reply BcZEE. Is the project you are working on the Nova that is in your signature or are you working on a Camaro? If it is a Camaro did you have to cut the tunnel at all?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c6matt
see my build thread in my sig....
Thanks for the response C6Matt. Quick question for you. Somewhere in your build thread I think you mentioned that you would probably use the bowtie overdrives crossmember instead of hte S&P one if you were to do it over again. Also read about hte TH400 one you used instead. Did the S&P crossmember have any specific issues?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The project is a 71 Nova.. no problem just a bit of hammering in a few spots.. other than that. no problem with trans tunnel
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the BRP mounts an LH8 pan with a 4L80 like stated above just a little hammer clearance and it was good to go. If you buy your mounts all from the same manufacturer you will be ok, I tried mixing trans mounts and motor mounts on my first swap...what a pain in th azz that was! The LH8 pan will hang down about 2" if you knock a hole in it you will have way more damage than just the pan to worry about ie don't sweat it.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the S&P trans crossmember and yes I'm using a 4l60 trans
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my build thread!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1369420-stans-1968-camaro-ls-swap-other-upgrades.html
Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is c6matt build

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1233163-my-67-camar0-ls1-4l60-swap-thread.html

Quick Reply: Questions on a LS 68 Camaro Swap I am preparing for