Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 78 camaro / 00 corvette hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 78 camaro / 00 corvette hybrid

It has been a looong couple of years and i finally got my baby back on the road. This project has had plenty of its ups and downs, time delays and setbacks but it was all worth it.

I started this project because i wanted to mix two of my favorite cars i have ever owned. I originally took the camaro apart just to do a basic restoration, (which is where everyone gets into trouble) and make a couple of engine and small handling upgrades. Then i got to doing some research and found everyone was upgrading sub-frames and going to C4/C5 suspension components. I tried the C4 route at first to find out the frame i bought was for an earlier Camaro. After scraping that idea i started to let the mind wander and a lot of "what ifs" came up. Then i looked into the measurements for a C5 and found they were extremely close to my 78 Camaro, only difference was 3.5" in wheelbase. Easy to make right!? Not so lucky. After buying a wrecked 2000 Corvette parting it out and finding a local place to build a frame for me everything went smooth. i went and talked to guy about the project everything seemed to go well and then he completely blew me off, never called back never followed up. So i kept searching the dangerous place called the Internet and noticed a few similar pictures found on his website as another semi-local shop. So needless to say i got in contact with them. After a few phone calls and a visit i found out they were the ones that made the frames for the other guy so it was decided to bring it to the horses mouth. After several months i got my car back new frame and torque tube completed. I started to put everything together, wiring, suspension, cooling system etc.... Then it was 1st startup time car ran like crap misfired sputtered couldn't hold a decent idle. Come to find out the computer was mis-tuned causing the problem and to top it off in a 4500 rpm snap the shaft in the TQ tube let go (set back and time delay). The car eventually made it back the the place where the frame and TQ tube was done at and it sat there for 8mo. untouched (major time delay) b/c they were waiting on parts, we all know why it sat. After several phone calls a surprise visit and a couple of threats the car was finished a few weeks later. On the trip home in the trailer the shop neglected to secure the vehicle down properly and came loose hitting the front and back of the trailer luckily only causing minor damage to my car. They took it back fixed what was damaged and made their second successful attempt. So for the past 5mo. i have been working on this car to get it into driving condition to shake test it the rest of the year and tear it all back apart this winter (possibly) to get the paint and body work done.

So without further due here a some pics and a link to the project:

HERE IS A LINK TO THE REST OF THE BUILD:
http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/z...ect%20Cormaro/
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Very Cool Swap.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Nice car man. Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope you post lots of detailed pictures. I always wanted to see how to slice and dice to make that happen.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

check below the last picture. my entire picture library is on photobucket.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Thats pretty cool. From the video, it looks like the engine sits pretty deep in the eng. compartment. Alot of work. What was the ballpark cost of having that shop fab the custom frame and sheetmetal work to the point of you picking it up? Does it drive ALOT better? Please say YESSSSSSSSSS lol very cool
Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

YESSSSSSSSSS lol The car hasnt even been aligned yet and it handles/rides like a dream. Lower motor means lower center of gravity and plenty of room for a maggie or turbo. I have a 1" body bushing in the front end that i will be taking out which should even out the ride height. approx. cost for the floor and tq tube mod with frame 10k.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

So far so good on the car, now major issues with the drivetrain. Rattle test is complete now for the bodywork and engine work.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Project looks great! I have an 80 that I would love to splice with a vette, but my pockets aren't deep enough. Nice to see the late second gens getting some love. I hope to have mine back on the road in the next few years. Keep us updated, would love to see the finished product.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Id definitely not a cheap project. I will keep everyone posted
Old 01-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Recent update: Currently doing a head and cam swap rolling with a tsp224r cam and Cartek 3x heads.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Update: Head and cam package done Car sounds awesome cant wait to drive again. Click the picture for video:

Quick Reply: My 78 camaro / 00 corvette hybrid