Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette C4 dana 36 & 44 or viper dana 44 rear end traction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette C4 dana 36 & 44 or viper dana 44 rear end traction?

So im curious what you guys with these rear ends in light cars are doing to get the most traction out of them? Sticky tires isn't everything, and i know there are some turbo LS rx7's and such, so id like to know how well you can get them to launch.

Im about a month away from any hard launching around 500rwhp. After my break in and retune with a 150-200 shot i'll have more issuse so i'd like to get a head start on research and options.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM

the dana 36 is worthless with more than 450 hp and slicks in a vet. i have an 86 vet with this dana 36, and 3.54 gears. if you have the choice and have not bought the rear end, get the 44. the 44 can support plenty of power.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

I have the D44 in my C3.
I read up that they can't support much beyond 500rwhp on Slicks.
Now, I don't have any personal experience. So, when I rebuilt mine, I installed hardened half shafts, and solid U-joints everywhere. I don't plan on drag racing mine, but I will do the occasional Track day once my LSx swap is all done. So, I will just keep an eye on mine and see what happens. Hopefully I get a few years out of it, LOL.
Oh, mine is going behind a T-56. Auto's are a LOT softer on them, but I'm not building it to go in a straight line.

Just an FYI, you can have a billet steel cap installed into it to help. Machine work has to be done, but it comes out looking pretty nice once its all done and helps keep distortion under hard acceleration down to a minimum.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, do you experience wheel hop at all. I have a dana 44, and what ive read is the dif itself is as strong as a 12bolt, but the half shafts and u joints tend to get beat up. I may look into cv joint conversion for strength.

Buttt.....what can be modified for added traction/reduced hop. I know there are anti squat methods, but do they help traction?

Quick Reply: Vette C4 dana 36 & 44 or viper dana 44 rear end traction?