Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 mustang w/a TH400, no VSS & won't idle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 mustang w/a TH400, no VSS & won't idle?

Having some trouble finding a straight answer on what I need. The local dyno owner says that since my computer has no VSS reading it's lost as to what to do with the idle. He say's it's partly due to the T rex cam being so big, I drilled the plate in the t/b and he tried his best to get it to idle but it still wants to idle itself down and eventually die. Neutral, park or in gear it won't idle either way. In gear it's really bad, it's almost trying to die before I've even come to a complete stop. Computer is for a M6 car and the computer, tune and motor worked fine in the Camaro it was pulled from. He sayed something about a VSS "box" that plugs in to the speedo cable spot on the TH400? Just looking for advice and what options I have to make it idle. It's obnoxious having to keep the pedal down at intersections.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

try dakota digital GM pass thru vss
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant imagine the VSS would affect the idle but I really dont have any input on a fix. Sorry bud
Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't have to drill a hole in the TB. Plenty of people have got those big cams to idle just fine without it. Make sure that everything that has to do with the trans is turned off in the PCM. I know when I installed my TH350 into my car I had to to that. Can't remember what I did about the speedo though.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't care about the speedo working, I use my GPS to monitor my speed. The computer and tune are from a M6 car, so I'm not sure what supposed readings the computer would even be taking from the trans to control idle. The cam is a T rex cam, I realize it may be over the local tuners head to figure it out now that it's behind a TH400. I just don't see why it's so difficult, hell he's the one that tuned it with the 6-speed while it was in the camaro and it never had any idle issues. This is frustrasting, starting to wish I'd gone with my original idea of a carb.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

So add a VSS, it will cost you $30. They generally fix stalling issues, but for $30 and 2 ecu pins, try it.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how tight is your converter?

did you call tom?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by parish8
how tight is your converter?

did you call tom?
The converter isn't tight, it's a custom converter from Neal Chance so I'm not positive of it's exact flash, but it's moderately sloppy under regular driving conditions. An educated guess would be somewhere in the 4400-4500 range.

I haven't contacted Tom yet. I guess if I can't find any definitive answers on my own I'll have to call him and see if he can tune it properly as it is or if I'm going to need to purchase parts from Dakota Digital to make it work. I think I'm done with the Lincoln tuner scene at any rate.

Thanks again for your time on the phone earlier.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garys 68
So add a VSS, it will cost you $30. They generally fix stalling issues, but for $30 and 2 ecu pins, try it.
That right there is part of the problem, I've found a a few different parts to try but there's been no one that can guarantee that any the parts will correct the issue. I don't care to throw parts at it without knowing I'm spending money on the right thing. Been there and done that more times than I care to recall.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Post up the tune and data log[s]. That will hep in determining what/where the problem lies..
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RATBOX
That right there is part of the problem, I've found a a few different parts to try but there's been no one that can guarantee that any the parts will correct the issue. I don't care to throw parts at it without knowing I'm spending money on the right thing. Been there and done that more times than I care to recall.
Even if you find someone to tune it so that it idles all day long, sitting in the driveway, you still stand a good chance of having stalling problems while coming to a stop when you're driving. That's caused from not having a vss. You might as well spend the money on one and cover that problem before it ever starts. Stop that problem before it starts and then work on the tune.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kind of what I'm thinking at this point. I spoke with Dakota Digital yesterday(real helpful people btw)and he has the parts to get me a VSS reading. But, he's asking for some info that I'm not sure about. I called the local dyno owner and he had no clue, wtf? Greg at Dakota Digital is asking for pulse wave he needs to set it up for?
He said he normally sets them for 4k, but can go as high as 32k. I'm lost as to what exactly my setup requires, as this GM efi has been a new learning curve for me since the start of my swap.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm looking into a VSS with the TH350 swap into my MCSS..there are a few important tables depending on that VSS..

I might use the ABS Reluctor in the front Hub and tune that in as the VSS..
Old 08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I think it was "Sux2BU" did a write up on how to do that exact thing. It was an old write up though. I can find if you need me to.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's kinda easy really..you just have to understand how HP Tuners works..lol..

For the MCSS I have 2000 Blazer Brakes & Hubs, which have built in ABS Reluctors. I dont have ABS on the car so I just put plugs in the holes. I still have the wiring so I'm just going to run a wire from one and put a connector on it so the VSS connector will plug into it.

Tuning wise you run the same tire size, for rear gear ratio you put 1.00 since it's the hub itself, and for the Reluctor Pulse value you just have to count how many pickups there are on the Reluctor Wheel.

I havent dont it yet, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

I dont think he has anything setup like that on the Mustang..may have to put a reluctor of some sort on the driveshaft.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Dakota Digital stuff is what I've decided on and then it's going to be re-tuned at a Dyno in Omaha. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pulse per rev of the VSS needs to be 10 or higher if the tuner is using EFI Live. EFI Live won't go lower than that unless it's had an update recently. HP Tuners will go lower. I think the vss from Dakota Digital is 8 PPR.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 AM
TECH Junkie

The standard DD cable driven VSS will prevent stalling. The ecu simple needs to know if the car is moving. As was pointed out, to get an accurate speed reading, you'll need HP Tuners software. But adding the VSS with either software will prevent stalling issues. I know that because I'm running a DD VSS on one car with HP tuners and another with EFIlive.
The only problem with the DD VSS is that it does not provide a high enough pulse count for a stable signal if you want to run GM DBW cruise control.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's my understanding, the Dakota stuff should work out for me.

Quick Reply: LS1 mustang w/a TH400, no VSS & won't idle?