Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor starts and then dies? Sounds like VATS, but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor starts and then dies? Sounds like VATS, but....

Need some help here guys - I'm stumped!! This spring I pulled my running 2004 LS1 from my '69 camaro to install a brand new LS6 crate motor with a magna charger. The car sat for 3-4 months with the battery unplugged.. I finally got the motor in and all hooked back up and went to fire it up today, it runs and idles perfectly for 3-5 seconds and then dies like you cut a wire! No spittin, no sputterin' - just dies! The motor will even rev up if you do it within the first couple seconds!!

It will usually start back up and run for a few more seconds and dies again. Then it wont fire unless it sits for about 5-10 minutes and then it does the same thing again. Runs perfectly for 3-5 seconds and then dies.. Sounds exactly like VATS from what I read on here, but I dont understand as the car ran great this spring with he '04 LS1 in it? I had the harness reworked and computer flashed by Speartech a year ago. I was going to call John on Monday and pick his brain.

I checked all my connections, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure, grounds, fuses and everything seems to be hooked up right.. Is there anything else I am missing that might cause this? About the only thing different was the magna charger, which has no electrical connections. The only new electrical that I hooked up was the water pump for the intercooler and it runs fine.

Appreciate any help or ideas! Thanks, Jason.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Couple other things I can think of is when I was hooking up the battery, the + terminal arc'd pretty good a couple times when trying to hook it up and I couldnt figure out why? Later I found that the + terminal on battery cable at the starter end had rubbed through the shrink wrap tubing and was grounding out on the starter case. I'd wondered at the time if I had done damage to the starter solenoid or possibly the CPU? No fuses ever poped and the stater works fine and everything else seems to be working ok - just wont stay running. Just a thought.

Last, I don't have the IAT sensor in the supercharger hooked up becuase I wasnt running an IAT sensor with my old set-up, but I dont see how that could effect anything. Again, appreciate any help. Thanks, Jason.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Default Couple of swap pics for reference

Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried reflashing the ECU? Possible it reset some of the programming or something?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sarg
Have you tried reflashing the ECU? Possible it reset some of the programming or something?
No not yet. I was wondering the same thing though. Plan on calling Speartech in the morning and see what he says..
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

only code it is throwing is a P0102 - mass air circuit low. The MAF is new and worked ok with the other motor. The motor starts and runs for 3-4 seconds with or without the MAF plugged in. For what that's worth..?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Launching!

http://youtu.be/CDZLfw0rEZE

Got her running.. I guess just unhooking the battery a couple times and letting it run long enough to re-learn? Seems to be running and starting fine now. Took her on a short trip around the block. Didnt lay the wood to it, but just a couple quick 1/2 throttle squirts - OMG wicked... :-)
Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Glad to hear it turned out to be something simple.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bronco3738
Glad to hear it turned out to be something simple.
Me too! Talk about heart breaking when you spend all your time on something and then it doesnt work! What a relief it runs and drives!! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Motor starts and then dies? Sounds like VATS, but....