Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/4l80e/241c in my 88 Grand Wagoneer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4/4l80e/241c in my 88 Grand Wagoneer

Parts are slowly coming in after my TF 727 decided to die. It did have 160k on it. The current engine in the Jeep is a megasquirted AMC 360 with ford EDIS. Engine runs great and has lots of torque...but I think it's time to move onto something more modern and get another 20 years out of it (then swap again!).

Here's a pic the night the LQ4 was dropped off. Thanks to dp.drift for bringing it over from Naples for me. Great guy!

It's out of a 03' silverado 2500.

It has cable throttle, which I thought only ran till 02' Also the EGR hole is on the top of the exhaust manifold, not the side. The EGR pipe looks like it wants to go to the side???

Anyways, I'm tearing the front of the Jeep off and going to try and remove the whole drivetrain in one piece.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Always loved the Grand Wagoneers. I think with the new motor you have, you`ll see LOTS more years of that big Jeep running, good luck !!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Epic swap!! I love Waggies!

While you have the front off, you ought to upgrade to the 60's "Gladiator" style front end, that'd look super cool. I love the retro look of that swap, which will be doubly cool considering the modern drivetrain you'll be running.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool idea.
Good luck!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet!!!This is a swap I was considering,if I lucked into finding the right big Jeep,keep us posted...
Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Well, 4l80e and 241 came in. Tranny only had 60k on it from a 04 sierra. Even came with the torque converter. The stock one should do me well as I won't be making any power changes for a while.

I think I'm going to replace the front and rear seals on the 4l80e.

I already have the return fuel system from the TBI trucks, but I believe my lq4 is a returnless, so I might end up with the corvette filter/regulator.

Is there an adapter from the TBI line to LSx style?
Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

It is a return fuel system. That should be easier.

Does anyone make an adapter for the tbi lines to LSx fuel rail pushlocks?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SurWagon
It is a return fuel system. That should be easier.

Does anyone make an adapter for the tbi lines to LSx fuel rail pushlocks?
Yes, It would be fit but you have to search at Russell fuel fiitting thru online.
I love to watch on your prograam on your Grand Wagoneer build.
Good Luck
Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Finally got back to it. Drivetrain out last night and I still have all my limbs. Spent today clening up the frame and trying to rid all cancer spots. Waiting for my engine mounts from another Jeep guy.

Also, the lokar shift rod looks like a no go. Not going to line up. Need to figure out if one out of a silverado will work well.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

You can see the tires are wearing a bit on the outside. Most of the bushings are old and shot. Yay...time to spend more money!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Still waiting on the motor mounts. Guy making them for me has had a tough time getting the parts for them. Frame is all clean and painted and ready to roll.

Replacing seals and such right now.

Got to decide about EGR and AIR. How much of a difference in mpg do they make? My exhaust manifolds only have an AIR input on them, so I'd have to buy different manifolds.

Also gotta decide if I want to rebuild the np241...

I did grab tons of great stuff at the junkyard: cruise control module. shifter cable. two axels, 4x4 shifter, etc
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

This thread needs more pics

Clean...no rust...lots of time

Motor mounts from JeepinPete (ifsja.org)

The engine cleaned up. Don't think the vette pan will work though

Should I hook EGR up? This manifold doesn't even apear to have the spot to hook it into.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

So it looks like they build LQ4s without EGR or AIR. I think I might go that route and get a Right manifold that has neither fittings. There is the possibility that I could move to a place where they smog test. Just trying to keep my options open.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

EXCELLENT !!

I have an 89 GW but I'm using Creeper's engine mounts. I bought a complete pullout 5.3 / 4L60E /241 Tcase (electronic shift). I'm going to use a tranny mounted shifter like a gennie or lokar. Not sure how to tackle the transfer case wiring yet, the project is sitting kinda still right now. It'll be my boy's first vehicle and we're building it together.

I will be following closely for idears to steal...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

That's awesome Nashty! I saw someone just pull the switch panel out of a Tahoe and use that. I thought about the electronic case, but just ended up getting a cheaper mechanical one. The floor mounted Lokar is the easiest solution for the tranny. I wanted to keep the middle seat, so I'm going to mess around trying to get the cable to work.

Can anyone tell me what the AIR system looked like? Did 02 03 LQ4s even have them?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashty
EXCELLENT !!

I have an 89 GW but I'm using Creeper's engine mounts. I bought a complete pullout 5.3 / 4L60E /241 Tcase (electronic shift). I'm going to use a tranny mounted shifter like a gennie or lokar. Not sure how to tackle the transfer case wiring yet, the project is sitting kinda still right now. It'll be my boy's first vehicle and we're building it together.

I will be following closely for idears to steal...
Aside from a scrap yard, where the hell do you find an 89 GW in Illinois? Haven't seen one of those runnin around here in many, many years. I don't think they were too resistant to the salt treatment we see 6 months out of the year. Congrats on finding one, hope you & your boy have some good times with the swap.

Oh and OP, thats an awesome swap. Its one I'd love to do in the future. Family truckster/grocery getter/tow vehicle/4WD toy all wrapped up into 1, can't beat it!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

My parent's mechanic said (back in the 90s) "there aren't too many vehicles you can go mudding, clean it up, and then go to the opera....and look perfect at both places."

I grew up in the Jeep. My mom used to pay me and my brother 25 cents to wash it. I'm glad we did a good job and I always washed the mud out from under it. Probably saved it from a lot of rust. It lived in PA/MD for most of it's life. Drove it through salt water a lot in Hatteras. I can't wait to get her back on the road and take a trip back to PA. Thought about even grafting a 42 gallon Burb tank for uber long distance cruising. It's got a 1000 wrms amp and a 12 Earthquake Magma in the back. Greatest cruising vehicle
Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

waggys are the bomb, glad to see this swap! I been thinking about putting a 5.3 in my xj
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Took the pan off to change to the truck version and change the gasket (I heard they are reusable...but didn't want to chance it right now).

Here's what it looked like:

So how does it look?

Is this a crack in the pan? It was really dirty in there.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Test fit & rear main seal replacement

It's been imposible to find the right rear case seal for the 4l80e, ended up ordering it online. Hopefully early this week all the seals will be replaced, then it goes in for good.

Let me know if you see anything wrong with the internal engine pics.

Quick Reply: LQ4/4l80e/241c in my 88 Grand Wagoneer