Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling dry 03 LQ9 with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling dry 03 LQ9 with coolant

This swap does not have a temp gauge. PCM has ECT connected.

The engine has a stock thermostat and appears closed from a look down the top connection. Heater connections are a short loop.

I want to be sure there are no air pockets, and avoid a mistake that will destroy my engine before I even run it 10 min.

If this were a GEN 1 SBC I would fill it and go, but I'm not as familiar with this type cooling system.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

If your engine has the coolant tubes on the front of the heads, I recommend cracking them open and filling until you get a steady stream of coolant from both heads. My LM7 kept overheating until I did this.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I noticed there is a cross over tube connecting the cylinder heads, there is a tee on the driver side connection with a hose connected to it.

Do the bolts holding the cross over tube to the cylinder heads, block an air bleed unless unscrewed a little bit?

I'm using a old school radiator with a 15 psi cap, I'm thinking the rubber hose connected to this tee maybe should be connected to the overflow stem at the cap?
Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well they are supposed to be tight, but yes crack them open until you get coolant. Yes to your second question, just t it in with the overflow hose
Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The crossover tube is a steam vent. It's under pressure. The overflow stem at the radiator cap is intended to feed a reservior, not under pressure.
You can connect the steam vent line to an added fitting on the water pump or radiator hose.
I filled mine by leaving the radiator cap off, making sure the front of the car (radiator) was high, and just kept topping off the radiator after it started.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
If your engine has the coolant tubes on the front of the heads, I recommend cracking them open and filling until you get a steady stream of coolant from both heads. My LM7 kept overheating until I did this.
I heard I had to fill from the engine, but I never heard or thought of this.
Good to know
Originally Posted by garys 68
The crossover tube is a steam vent. It's under pressure. The overflow stem at the radiator cap is intended to feed a reservior, not under pressure.
You can connect the steam vent line to an added fitting on the water pump or radiator hose.
I filled mine by leaving the radiator cap off, making sure the front of the car (radiator) was high, and just kept topping off the radiator after it started.
Both are very good ideas anf good to know. Thanks for sharing guys
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Yeah, don't hook it to the overflow!

As for filling, I usually fill the radiator almost all the way up, then take the upper radiator hose off at the radiator and hold it up and fill through it until it's full, then put the hose back on. It's a little messy unless you are quick, but I've never had a problem doing it this way.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the critical info. small details can sometimes be very unforgiving.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes they are right don't listen to me. There's is a nice fitting in the help section to run it into the smaller heater hose. Glad I put my previous comment or I'd never even think about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I recommend pulling the upper radiator hose from the radiator and filling the block by pouring coolant into the hose. This should only be necessary on the first fill.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I recommend pulling the upper radiator hose from the radiator and filling the block by pouring coolant into the hose. This should only be necessary on the first fill.
I literally just did it this way, seems to have filled the system up will.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This part allows installing the steam vent tube into the upper radiator hose, it allows checking if the air is out of the system, and it has a petcock to allow purging air out of the system.

I created this part after a number of people who bought our radiator kits for LSx swaps complained about cooling problems, which were caused by air in the system.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

If you want to fill the system in 5 minutes with NO air pockets just buy one of these...

Coolant fill tool

And as a side note, this is the downside of not running an expansion tank with the head vents run back to it. It gives the air a place to collect when run correctly, so if you do get air then it will end up in the tank instead of in the engine.

Just my .02

Mark
Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Marky522
If you want to fill the system in 5 minutes with NO air pockets just buy one of these...

Coolant fill tool

And as a side note, this is the downside of not running an expansion tank with the head vents run back to it. It gives the air a place to collect when run correctly, so if you do get air then it will end up in the tank instead of in the engine.

Just my .02

Mark
I think I would have to be filling a lot of dry engines to spend that kind of money.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

$100 to not have to deal with any of those issues? Doesnt have to be a dry engine, i use it anytime i drain coolant! I guess its all about what your after, i dont want to have to fight air in the system so 5 mins vs 30 minutes at the best!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Marky522
$100 to not have to deal with any of those issues? Doesnt have to be a dry engine, i use it anytime i drain coolant! I guess its all about what your after, i dont want to have to fight air in the system so 5 mins vs 30 minutes at the best!!!!
Once the initial fill of the block is done through the upper radiator hose, I don't think anyone will have an "air in the system" problem as long as their cylinder head steam vents are plumbed properly unless I am missing something.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

I find it funny you feel the need to argue with me about a VERY easy solution to this problem! The difference between us is obvious!!!

Mark
Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Argue? No chance Mark. That is more of a Porsche guy thing. JK of course.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

I think it may have to do with the fact i spend $500+ on tools a month, but even if i didnt this tool is awesome... Now if it was a "Porsche" thing i would be pushing my $500 hydraulic flaring tool!!! To each there own!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Old School Heavy

A good friend of mine had a 944 that had some kind of head problem. I think it bent some valves. The car was in really great shape and he hung onto it for the longest time talking about a motor swap. I don't know whatever came of it, but he sure did love that car and he grew up a Mopar guy. So, that something about how well it must have drove.

PS. I would have loved that hydraulic flaring tool when I was making all new steel fuel and transmission lines.

Quick Reply: Filling dry 03 LQ9 with coolant