Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Fuse Box Hook-Up

Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Fuse Box Hook-Up

I'm trying to take some of the wiring for the LS3/T56 Install. The instructions that came with the GMPP harness/fuse box are meager at best, so I'm looking for a little help with integrating this with my Painless harness.

As of now (It is stuffed in a corner and I'm really not sure at this point if I'm going to keep it there since it may get wet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/modernm...in/photostream ), it looks like there are only two main wires coming out:

Grey: fuel pump
Blue: fan

However, I saw from another thread where someone was putting in an LS3 that those two main studs have wires connected to them as well (roughly 12 gauge). I assume at least one is a power wire. Can anyone offer some direction in this department? How many connections should I plan to make to get it to mate to my Painless harness? I have almost no idea how to wire this up due to the lack of instructions that came with it. I have already mostly installed the Painless harness throughout the rest of the car, so I assume minimal connections need to be made.

I'd really like my fans to be powered per the attached:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/...05032577_o.png
(two electric fans) but the LS3 fuse box only has one relay and one wire. I have other external relays ready to go under my dash, but I have read that it is better to have the ECU control the fans.

Here is some info on my ECU if that helps...
GM Racing
GM# 19258268
Gr. 3.670
GM Performance Parts LS376

Also, the diagram on my fuse box cover is faded after being left out in the sun for a day, so if anyone can provide a screenshot of theirs, that'd be great. Or...maybe I can just order another cap?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

I dont know what a 'Painless' harness is...but the two studs are for in/out 12v power from the battery. I have mine going on to the car relay box from there. In addition to the two wires there should be a connector called 'bulkhead connector'. Use that to hook up all other signals (tacho, mil etc). I have an installation guide coving that. Can e mail it if you need it...

Mark
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. "Painless" is the brand of my internal car wiring harness (they sell a lot of harnesses for cars).

After looking a little more closely, these are the primary connections I have (separate from the connections that go to sensors:

Grey (fuel pump) - I can wire this one up
Blue (fan) - I can probably figure this one out
Bulkhead connector - All the misc signals - I can probably figure this one out as well
Threaded terminal A
Threaded terminal B
Extra threaded terminal that appears to be some sort of bus bar

(The instructions state that there is supposed to be a pink wire for the 12V connection, but there is no pink wire coming out of the fuse box)

In bold is what I don't know how to hook up. See attached photo below. At the top you'll see the extra (oriented 90 degrees from the other ones) threaded terminal. Is this a ground or a powered source?

Something else to note: on the back side of the two terminals that are oriented together is the text "RED." So, is one of these a power and one a ground? Concerning the power wires, should be be a switched wire or a constant power from the battery?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

On mine all three studs are for +12v. Do a continuity check on them. The pink wire is for ignition. you will need that unless there is another connection for it.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Old post, but to clear it up:

One side post for DC in.
Two top posts for accessory DC out.

No ground on the block.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know the stud threading size of the horizontal stud, for the DC in?

Edit - Measured and purchased an M6x1.0 and it threaded the post well.

Last edited by AJG87; 07-03-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:36 PM

There’s no pink wire coming out bulkhead. 83 cutlass supreme was v6 car
Old 10-17-2023, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by robrockett
There’s no pink wire coming out bulkhead. 83 cutlass supreme was v6 car
Meanwhile, four years lateur.....
Old 01-18-2024, 06:24 PM
Teching In

so iam currently swapping a e hot rod ls3 crate motor came with engine harnesseverything is wired in but need a diamgram from the stock bulkhead for these 2 last brown wires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 Fuse Box Hook-Up