Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Impala Convert LS2 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is seriously awesome. I have a 66 biscayne that I plan on putting an LSX motor and 4l60 trans into in the future, and this is a great help. As far as a know, this is the first real, complete mid 60s B body build thread I've seen.

I just have a couple questions about the fuel system- are both of the pumps you have in the pics GTO pumps? What exactly is removed from them?

And just for clarity- If you use the GTO pump, you do not need a return line?

Can't wait to see the tank installation.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

great work! i wish somebody make a thread like this for b bodys
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrets bueller
This thread is seriously awesome. I have a 66 biscayne that I plan on putting an LSX motor and 4l60 trans into in the future, and this is a great help. As far as a know, this is the first real, complete mid 60s B body build thread I've seen.

I just have a couple questions about the fuel system- are both of the pumps you have in the pics GTO pumps? What exactly is removed from them?

And just for clarity- If you use the GTO pump, you do not need a return line?

Can't wait to see the tank installation.

Both pumps are GTO pumps....the shortened one was a spare I had around that I took the pump out of to keep in the trunk for a spare.....Just in case.....So....I hacked up that one to see how short I could get it and do a Test trial with.........

No return line required if you use a GTO LS pump assy.......it's a self contained unit returns the excess pressure fuel internally into the pick-up area of the pump assy body .....

I used this set-up in my 37 Ford build.....Basically......I am going to replicate the system in the 37......10,000 trouble free miles so far...

Lot's of info in the thread......But....Lot's "O" pages....LOL

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-install.html
Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Both pumps are GTO pumps....the shortened one was a spare I had around that I took the pump out of to keep in the trunk for a spare.....Just in case.....So....I hacked up that one to see how short I could get it and do a Test trial with.........

No return line required if you use a GTO LS pump assy.......it's a self contained unit returns the excess pressure fuel internally into the pick-up area of the pump assy body .....

I used this set-up in my 37 Ford build.....Basically......I am going to replicate the system in the 37......10,000 trouble free miles so far...

Lot's of info in the thread......But....Lot's "O" pages....LOL

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-install.html
Thanks, man! I'll get to reading, lol.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got another 2 cartons of "Stuff" today.......Had the Mint Survivor Bumpers straightened and replated......I sent them to Tri-City Plating in Kentucky.......I would highly recommend these guy's......they took out all the dents and the plating is perfect..........Reasonable pricing also.....

High Quality with reasonable prices..........Great Job Tri-City
Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Got another 2 cartons of "Stuff" today.......Had the Mint Survivor Bumpers straightened and replated......I sent them to Tri-City Plating in Kentucky.......I would highly recommend these guy's......they took out all the dents and the plating is perfect..........Reasonable pricing also.....

High Quality with reasonable prices..........Great Job Tri-City
PM me that price, thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well......Now we can get Serious.......Got a phone call from Puleras today to bring the car there.......

In its new home for a while.....

A picture of the owner of Pulera's..........Randy

George , the Body guy that did the 37 Ford is going to do all the work on my Mint Survivor car also.......so....I'm sure he might be able to save the "Beater"......He already started on the doors .........

Now ....After SEMA, I'll have ambition to get all the parts organized, detailed and be ready for reassembly.......
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Kwhizz, thanks for the post. I have a 66 Buick LeSabre 2 door ht. I've been buying parts for my conversion. I'll be looking forward for your updates. This is the first time I heard of anyone using a GTO fuel system for the EFI. Once again thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered the Fuel Pump/Fuel Tank mounting ring flange..., I will be doing the Fuel tank when I get back from SEMA.....
Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Teching In

that is gonna be a sweet LS powered ride!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stopped at Pulera's today.....Walked into the "Dirty Room" and here's what I found......all my parts staged and waiting for George to work his magic....George had already hammer and dollied dents out of the passenger side quarter panel......couldn't feel a thing where the dents were.....he was also starting to patch the wheel openings.....Good things happening.....And the real fun is starting......George also told me that this is the first time he had ever patched a Mint Survior car.......LOL

Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Launching!

they are moving right along, seems like an awesome shop
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back from SEMA..........While we were gone, some of the "Stuff" I bought arrived.....LOL......Just in case you missed the beginning of this thread.....My "Mint" Survivor car needed a little attention in the Radio area....LOL....(You would think a "Mint" Survivor car would have a Radio........LOL.....Those crazy Nu Yawk Jokesters)

So.....The one I bought off eBay arrived and I'm sending it out to Vintage Auto Radio for am-fm/sirius solid state conversion

I also got my Fuel Pump assy mounting flange that was cut out of a GTO tank so I can continue with the fuel system/Tank modifications ( got it from Cleveland-Pick-Apart.....great people to deal with)

And.....I stopped at Pulera's to see the progress that George had made on the car.......He's gonna be on vacation for a couple of days this week so nothing's gonna happen till later in the week....But, he got the quarters pretty much finished last week........here's some pic's....

I also received a set of repro wheel opening mouldings that had one of the pieces damaged, called the vendor ......and here we go again.......Nuff Said!!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because this was a small block car, it had a 10 bolt in it with standard gear ratio and a open rear ...........so, if I decided to change the ratio and add a posi unit, I would still have a 10 bolt (which would probably be fine) but I ended up finding a 12 bolt rear end that was missing the differential and the ring and pinion......I bought a 3:55 Ring and pinion, a new posi unit and we are good to go now without the worry of breaking anything with the LS power........the 12 bolt also has 2 upper stut rods where the 10 bolt only has one......gotta order another one from Ridetech.......the rear Disc brake set-up is the same for the 10 or 12 bolt.........Moving along....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a couple more boxes today........Rear Sway bar and because I switched to a 12 bolt, I needed to order another upper control arm (10 bolt has 1 ....12 bolt has 2)so....the suspension is now complete......Can't wait to get to the point to where I get to put all this stuff on the car.....

I also stopped at Pulera's today as it was Georges first day back this week........he has the passenger side quarter ready for priming........

And.....at the shop the next task at hand.......Getting the GTO pump assy to fit in the 66 Tank......More Pic's to come...

Right now it's a big mess, but......there is a plan.......

Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Teching In

looking nice
Old 11-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ken, I loved your last build but this one....wow...drool. I mssed seeing your cars on both of the last Power Tours but I am going to look for you really hard this year. I want to see this car! My Dda had a 65 Impala when I was growing so these always have a soft spot for me. I saw this video over on Bangshift yesterday, had to share it. You have probably seen the edited Chevrolet commercial but this is the complete story. Enjoy!

http://bangshift.com/blog/Awesome-Vi...w-in-1965.html

Tom
Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

George was a busy boy today.....He got the passenger quarter pretty much finished and was doing some minor sheetmetal repair to the driver side wheelhouse today.......

Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went today and picked up a 12 bolt housing for the project....Bought it off eBay.....it is missing the differential and ring and pinion.....I already have a 3:55 gear set for it...I ordered a new posi unit.....

Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well.....George has the back of the car all finished except for final blocking........he's moving forward and getting the doors hung........Moving along....

also....I should have the fuel tank finished next week....more pic's at that time....

[/quote]

Quick Reply: 66 Impala Convert LS2 Conversion