Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Into '72 Camaro!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile LS1 Into '72 Camaro!

Copied this from my post on Nasty. Thought people would like this over here too!

I've been debating putting an LS-based engine in my car for the last couple years while I've been maintaining my SBC 406. Up until recently it had only been a dream.

Last week I was browsing craigslist and found an LS1 out of a 2001 Corvette C5 with roughly 20,000 miles on it. The engine was complete, minus the PCM, the accessory drive, flex plate, and the TAC module. It came with the complete wiring harness, the pedal assembly, the rails, injectors, the ls6 intake, o2 sensors, exhaust manifolds, coil packs, etc, pictures to follow. I opened it up and it is indeed a new engine. Almost no signs of wear throughout the engine, the cross hatching on the cylinder walls is still very visible. The engine still has the stock spark plugs and they look perfect.

This is the beginning of my build, I still have to get myself a flexplate, for use with my TH400, thinking of getting the TCI part number: 399753, GM flexplate spacer, TAC Module, Computer (have a friend who has one from a 2003 Escalade I might snag depending on some stuff), motor mount adapters, MAF Sensor (going to get a used one from a junkyard or on ebay), accessory drive, and some other stuff.

Here are some pictures of my '72 Camaro and the engine it will be replacing:

And this is what will be replacing it:

The passenger side fuel rail is slightly bent but after inspection the weld held up perfect and I'm going to bend it back to make it straight. The injectors are like new.

More will definitely come as I collect parts and as progress continues!

Last edited by dot0dotdot; 08-20-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Update: Been a little bit since I've updated, I've been working almost non-stop and finally was able to find some time to update. I was able to pick myself up an F-body oil pan assembly from the dealer for under $300. Included the pan, the baffle, the dipstick, dipstick tube, the feeder tube, all the bolts and the gasket. I still need to get myself an F-body windage tray as the Corvette one does not fit with the oil pan. I'll be picking that up sometime next week. I was also able to get my wiring harness completely labeled and ready to be reworked.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That engine looks super clean. Good find.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuckd71
That engine looks super clean. Good find.
Thank you, I can't wait to get it in the car. I'm only a couple items short of being able to hook it up to my TH400 and start trying to drop it in!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, you doing anything to the the LS1 (heads, cam) or keeping it stock. Sure headers are planned. I'm on Nasty also, same user name.
Will keep an eye out for updates.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Teching In

I'm going to eventually be doing a cam, which comes with a multitude of other things including push rods, valve springs etc, and I'm going to get my heads ported but for now I'm just going to leave it stock.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Nice project. I just finished doing an LS1/4l60e swap into a 72 split bumper. Let me know if you have any questions you need answered.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Time for a well needed update! I ordered myself a set of pacesetter headers and a flexplate from summit. I am going to be modifying the headers to fit by hitting them with a rosebud and some leverage to bend them. The flexplate I ordered was for use with my TH400 but since then I've changed my mind and am going with a 4L80E. I should be having a local guy start building that either today or tomorrow so I am going to send the flexplate back to Summit. I drilled and tapped the water temp port on the passenger head to 3/8th NPT and picked up an adapter for the oil pressure sender to fit in my Corvette oil temp port above the oil filter. I also picked up some Dirty Dingo sliders! When the transmission is done I'll be pulling my Camaro into the garage and taking out the 406 and TH400 to start checking clearances.

The Headers

The previous flexplate:

I also picked myself up some Corvette fuel rail covers. I know the engine is going into a Camaro but I felt they were appropriate seeing as the engine came from an '01 Corvette.

Last edited by dot0dotdot; 10-11-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Looks sweet, but id get rid off the top...rust waiting to happen. Thanks to the vinyl on our 71, we had to replace roof and both quarters.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Thank you both! I hope to get the ball rolling faster here shortly. I'm heading down to the transmission guy tomorrow to work out the details with the build.

I'm dreading the day I pull that vinyl off but I think I'm going to end up keeping it. My plan is to remove it in the near future and assess/replace any rusted areas. I'm probably going to be layering the thing in POR-15 and getting the vinyl put back on.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Purchased an ECM and a TAC module. The TAC will be here sometime next week.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Loooking good. Keep the updates coming!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Picked up the TAC module from LKQ today.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like you're on your way. Very clean LS1 and very clean Camaro. Is that the OEM color? My '70 Nova is "black cherry" with a black vinyl top - your car looks like a close cousin.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks! The car was originally spring green but the person it was bought from had it painted that red. It wasn't very clean when I got it. Wires were tied together with produce bag ties etc. It needs to be blocked and repainted, but it's a great 10 footer, or closer with certain lights! Rust free floors and rear quarters. A slight bit of rust under the bottom of the front fender. I'm scared about under the vinyl though. I'll get that fixed when I paint it!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Been a long time since I've updated this post. I was waiting for a transmission build for the last couple months and its finally finished!

Its a built 4L80E out of a 2006 6.0L

Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Teching In

How do I start, there has been quite a bit of stuff done since I last updated this thread over a year ago. I've been updating it on Nasty but not here so I will give the abridged version with photos. I've managed to get the engine mounted to the transmission and bolted into my engine compartment. I used my same aftermarket crossmember for my TH400, I just turned it around and drill new holes in my frame for it. I sent my harness and computer off to Speartech to have him rework it and program it, amazing how neat it looks, he does great work.

I purchased a set of Kook's SS Headers, they bolted up to my engine with just a few modifications needed; had to remove my factory AC unit to make room for the passenger side header, I'm going to purchase a Vintage Air unit here shortly so I can retain my air conditioning. I have to pound the corner of my floor board on the drivers side to provide enough clearance for the flanges to bolt together on my driver's side collector.

I plummed my fuel system using half of the previous hard line I had mated with -6AN Summit PTFE braided hose; had to purchase a Summit Racing LS1 Fuel Rail do to the amount of distortion and bending my factory LS1 rail had, I was unable to bend it back into shape enough so that all the injectors aligned properly. I purchased a stock replacement 2013 Camaro ZL1 fuel pump to put into my tank and I had a machinist friend of mine fabricate a mounting ring and o-ring groove to secure and seal it to the fuel tank.

I purchased the Corvette accessory drive kit from a GM dealer and installed that, I'm using all of it with the exception of the AC compressor and bracket, I'm going to sell that and purchase either a S&P bracket or a Kwik bracket with a Sanden compressor.

I still need to purchase myself a set of gauges, I believe I'm going to go with AutoMeter Ultra-Lite 2s as well as purchase or create an aluminum bezel to mount them in.

This is what the engine looked like when I set it in with a dummy transmission (for alignment purposes):

The accessory drive mounted:

Here are some pictures of the headers:

And here is what the progress on the fuel tank looked like:

I filled the tank with water before I started cutting and grinding on the off-chance that there would still be some fuel vapors in there.

I ground the original mounting ring off to make room for the 5'' hole saw to do its work:

I had to weld a piece of metal to the hole inorder for the pilot drill bit on the hole saw to align it and hold it steady:

Heres what the finished mounting system looks like with and without the pump and o-ring installed:

For those that were interested in the build, I apologize for the delay on updating it here, I got caught up in working on it and updating it on Nasty that I forgot to crosspost the updates here.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dot0dotdot
How do I start, there has been quite a bit of stuff done since I last updated this thread over a year ago. I've been updating it on Nasty but not here so I will give the abridged version with photos. I've managed to get the engine mounted to the transmission and bolted into my engine compartment. I used my same aftermarket crossmember for my TH400, I just turned it around and drill new holes in my frame for it. I sent my harness and computer off to Speartech to have him rework it and program it, amazing how neat it looks, he does great work.

I purchased a set of Kook's SS Headers, they bolted up to my engine with just a few modifications needed; had to remove my factory AC unit to make room for the passenger side header, I'm going to purchase a Vintage Air unit here shortly so I can retain my air conditioning. I have to pound the corner of my floor board on the drivers side to provide enough clearance for the flanges to bolt together on my driver's side collector.

I plummed my fuel system using half of the previous hard line I had mated with -6AN Summit PTFE braided hose; had to purchase a Summit Racing LS1 Fuel Rail do to the amount of distortion and bending my factory LS1 rail had, I was unable to bend it back into shape enough so that all the injectors aligned properly. I purchased a stock replacement 2013 Camaro ZL1 fuel pump to put into my tank and I had a machinist friend of mine fabricate a mounting ring and o-ring groove to secure and seal it to the fuel tank.

I purchased the Corvette accessory drive kit from a GM dealer and installed that, I'm using all of it with the exception of the AC compressor and bracket, I'm going to sell that and purchase either a S&P bracket or a Kwik bracket with a Sanden compressor.

I still need to purchase myself a set of gauges, I believe I'm going to go with AutoMeter Ultra-Lite 2s as well as purchase or create an aluminum bezel to mount them in.

This is what the engine looked like when I set it in with a dummy transmission (for alignment purposes):

The accessory drive mounted:

Here are some pictures of the headers:

And here is what the progress on the fuel tank looked like:

I filled the tank with water before I started cutting and grinding on the off-chance that there would still be some fuel vapors in there.

I ground the original mounting ring off to make room for the 5'' hole saw to do its work:

I had to weld a piece of metal to the hole inorder for the pilot drill bit on the hole saw to align it and hold it steady:

Heres what the finished mounting system looks like with and without the pump and o-ring installed:

For those that were interested in the build, I apologize for the delay on updating it here, I got caught up in working on it and updating it on Nasty that I forgot to crosspost the updates here.
dot0dotdot,

It looks like you have been very busy. I am jealous that you can do all that yourself. Keep up the good work.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Thank you, I can't wait for it to be done. I had to cut an access hole into my trunk to allow for clearance because my pump mounting ring has it sit up just a little too high; because of this, it allows me to also eliminate the need to drop my tank if I need to service the pump, even though its incredibly easy. I'm going to hinge it and build up sides to it so it seals and such, I'll eventually add carpet to give it a cleaner look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Into '72 Camaro!