Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone made their own speedo reluctor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Has anyone made their own speedo reluctor?

I'm running a Muncie behind an LS motor with a speedo cable driven VSS from Dakota Digital. The DD VSS regsters correct speed to the ecu, but does not provide a stable enough signal for the DBW cruise control. It's only about 1 pusle per revolution with the current speedo gear.
There's plenty of room in the muncie tail to add another speedo drive gear, and I could machine off the spiral gear and notch it for a reluctor. Any suggestions on how a reluctor has to be configured, ie. depth of notches, distance to sensor?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good question Gary! I'll be watching this one.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There has been a few thread and company that show how to convert to a VSS. I think JTR has an artical on doing it on a Auto 4L60E trans.. Maybe you can apply those step to a Muncie.

JTR also a kit that I have seen that will add a reluctor wheel on the rear end pion and a bracket for the sensor.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...ctor-Diff.html
Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

I saw the JTR reluctor, but it looks like it's for the S10 7 1/2" rear. Not sure it will work on a 10 bolt A body diff pinion.
I did find reluctors for some other trans, thinking I'll buy one and copy its dimensions for tooth size, depth, etc.
I've also got a spare muncie tail housing to experiment with.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Come to think of it, TheMerv is using a wheel speed sensor on his 1987 Monte Carlo. I think he was using 2WD S-10 spindles (same as G-Body) for the conversion. I'm not sure what spindle would work for you or if that is even a viable option.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

I don't know if your Muncie is 27 or 32 spline but for 27, the f-body/gto had a 17 tooth reluctor.
The 2010 Camaro reluctor can be honed to fit a 32 spline output.

A lot of different GM VSSs for a lot of applications look quite similar but vary in price. They need to be spaced away from the reluctor for clearance (sometimes an o-ring as a shim works) but semi-close for pick-up and installed in a hole that is sealed by the primary o-ring. Not too bad; just tig a sleeve into your tailhousing & a small bolt hole next to it; the retainer clip/bracket can be removed and something subsituted.

Look at a 4th Gen f-body T5 or T56 or a lot of other GM models for reference.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

It's a 27 spline. But I can get a 40 tooth reluctor for about $8 and it looks like pretty much any 2 wire GM VSS should work. A threaded VSS might be easier to adjust the distance.
I'll post pics.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Just taking apart the T10 I'm planning on using. Unfortunately the T10 requires splined reluctors on the output shaft, as opposed to the muncie pressed on. So guessing I could cut off a chunk of yoke and modify that for a reluctor in the tailhousing.
But I also noticed the square cut reverse drive gear in the tailhousing. It looks very possible to simplt drill and tap the tail housing for a bolt in VSS. It would not be accurate except for 4th gear, which it would be calibrated for. But I only need the VSS for stalling and to signal cruise control. I'll still be running the cable speedo.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

If all you need to do is alert the PCM when the vehicle is or isn't moving, who cares if it's accurate? I say go for it Gary.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

So I picked up a 700R4 reluctor. It fits over the th350 output shaft but not the th400. My oddball 82-83 super T10 has a th350 output, but the speedo and reverse splines are th400. Difference is about 0.020.
If you look at the bottom of the pic you'll see the metal spacer I made to press the reluctor on and hold it in place. Problem is there was not room in the tail housing for it to fit. I think you might be able to fit one on a th350 Muncie in front of the speedo gear though. I don't have a muncie output shaft handy to test it.
But if you look closely there is a huge reluctor forward of the speedo gear already. It's the reverse gear. It will only line up when the car is running forward, but who cares. It rides close to the housing, so I'll probably need to weld a bung to the housing to mount an Oring or threaded VSS.
Can anyone give me dimensions and pics of a 2 wire VSS with O ring or threaded mounts?

Quick Reply: Has anyone made their own speedo reluctor?