Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taurus fan using ecu to control high/low

Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Taurus fan using ecu to control high/low

I picked up a taurus fan and want to use the ecu to control both the low and high speed, and from some reading it looks like the ecu is set up so the GM fans have both fans powered unlike the ford setup where the low needs to be open while the high speed is a closed circuit.

So.... down to my questions
1. Are the two pins for the ecu actually a ground that completes the circuit?
2. Is a three relay the only way to get this to work?

3. I picked up as much of the wiring I though was part of the fan, and pulled a relay with part #F0AB-14B194-DC and am not sure if this is enough relay to do the job as I could not tell while at the yard if this was part of the fans wiring, or for something else, so I grabbed it anyways. edit: from what I can find online it is a 30amp relay

4. There also had been a 30A fuse in the factory ford wiring and am wondering if I should incorporate it in the wiring somewhere, if so, where?

I plan on going back to the junk yard and pulling two more the the relays if they are the right ones for the job, as I need to pull a cruise control box out of a Blazer to add in the swap

Last edited by billsnogo; 09-05-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want, PM me the year/make/model/engine of your PCM and your email address I will email you some wiring diagrams for the cooling fans circuit. They will tell you (and me) whether it's a +12V or ground.

By the way, do you have any shots of your Nova with the electric fan? My brother has a '71 and his car will run a little hot in traffic. He has a cheap electric Summit fan on his car, and I have been trying to talk him into upgrading to something with a shroud. I would really like to see how you mounted the Taurus fan!

-Dave
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Sorry, can't help on the mounting issue as I don't even have my radiator yet. Bought the fan a couple of days ago and am trying to figure out what else I need to buy/pull from the yard when I go back.

the ecu is for a 2004 van.

thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For a single fan you only need 2 relays. This is a pretty good diagram. Replace the temp switches with the ground signals from the ECU

I grabbed the two Ford relays when I pulled the fan off the Taurus. Put the fuse where they show it in the diagram. By the way, if your swap is like mine you won't need the high speed fan.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the diagram. I'm planning on using the same fan in my 240.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Thank you Pop-n-wood

a couple more questions though
1. I had only seen one relay. Does yours look like mine?
2. Does it really matter if it is switched or constant 12v?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the diagram pop n wood posted but I see 2 issues

1. On that diagram temp switch 1 and 2 seem to be transposed as temp switch 2 would be the low temp/low speed switch and #1 would be the higher temp/speed switch.

2. I don`t know exactly how many amps the tarus fan draws (I have seen claims anywhere from 23 amps to almost 80 amps) Most bosch style automotive relays have a 30 amp rating on the Normally open contacts (terminal 30 to terminal 87) but many of them only have a 20 amp rating on the normally closed contacts (terminal 30 to terminal 87a). So you might have to connect a couple relays in parallel to get sufficient amperage capacity.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I pulled that diagram off Google but it has the two relays hooked up the same way I have them so I know it works. That previous diagram had that 3rd relay for no reason. It wasn't doing anything.

Like I said, if you use the same relays Ford did they should handle the current. billsnogo said he was using the same fuse so I would think that would be good also. I have mine connected through a 40 amp fuse and I am not using the high speed fan. So G-Body might be right, it may need a larger fuse. But that is easy to change, the hook up is what I was trying to show.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taurus fan using ecu to control high/low