Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF ? speed density?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF ? speed density?

I have searched and read over and over and nothing seems to be clicking for what I'm needing..

I have a 5.3l from a burban going into my mustang.. I'm sending the ecm to get reflashed so I can run it N/A to begin with and then in a few months I'll be going single 76mm turbo at around 8lbs. so the question is...

Should I buy a truck MAF and get it reflashed keeping the MAF or get it turned off "speed density" until I go turbo?

When i go turbo I'll be getting HPTUNERS so I'll be able to do it myself but for now I'm getting it done "mail order" and I do plan to drive the car a little while N/A and maybe take it to the drag strip just to see what it will do N/A.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seeing as how it's a mail order tune, you should definitely keep the MAF. A speed density tune takes a bit of fine-tuning, something that a person with hptuners 1000 miles away will have a hard time 'guessing' what will be needed. It's all about what the car sees then tuning for that.

And since you're going to have to re-tune for the turbo, save the SD till then.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the quick reply.. thats pretty much what I was figuring but trying save money and get out of trying to find a maf around here.. but it really makes sence..

And what about once I go turbo, could I run maf then since it does help with "auto tuning" the ecm

Quick Reply: MAF ? speed density?