Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam swap complete!!! Car is crazy fast already and needs a lot of tuning, so I'm ready to see the end result! I put a base tune in using HP tuners so its at least drivable. Heading up to Vengeance Racing in GA for a tune hopefully in the next few days.

Nothing major to report during the cam swap. A little cross threading on one of the spark plugs that I straightened out. I did have to redo the valve stem seals after I installed the new springs. Nothing happened, but after only pressing them on by hand(two piece-seal and seat) and finally finding a thread in a search about tapping them down with a hammer and a socket, I pulled the springs back off and tapped the seals down until they seated correctly(see the pics below). I used a 12mm socket and used a flat washer to protect the top lf the seal. The dual valve springs would have chewed the seals off! Luckily I caught my mistake. The crane cams valve spring compressor is incredible. Made a time consuming job way less painful!!! Worth the money, hands down. I used the TDC and rope in the cylinder method instead of an air compressor. Worked like a charm.

The only casualty.. And a semi bad one. Didn't scratch a fender or anything during the entire swap. I let the garage door up and the handle caught the rear bumper...... Scratched the s#%+ out of the car! Luckily I looked on the bright side. I originally wanted a satin black stripe down the middle of the car anyway. This will just prompt me to do that!!

Make sure and watch the vid!

First test drive after cam swap. Untuned.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Also check out the photoshoot and article canibeat.com did on the Vette!!!!!

http://www.canibeat.com/2013/06/the-...e-grand-sport/
Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't wait to see this thing in person! Awesome build
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Ill be heading up to Vengeance Saturday morning for a 9am tune. Hopefully everything goes well and I'm able to post some good dyno numbers shortly after we finish!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Made 440 wheel hp! 404wtq!
Thanks to Mike at Vengeance Racing!

Last edited by Ellis Juan; 06-30-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great work, that car is awesome!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks!!!

Couple of clips and pics of the new exhaust.

Compared to:

Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Launching!

The air filter I was running was a touch too small and had to be on the edge of restricting flow. If you flip back a few pages you can see where I bought a bell mouth velocity stack and fiberglassed a ram air box. Needless to say I didn't go that route. I wanted to use that damn bell mouth but without a crap ton of intake piping or modifying the hood and radiator core, I wasn't getting in front of the radiator. However wishful thinking led me to think I may be able to fit it all straight off the front of the TB. Bell mouth filter came in and I literally laughed out loud when I opened the box. This thing was Abe Lincoln top hat big. So after scouring summit and jegs until my eyes burned I found an Air Raid filter that fit what I wanted to do. Instead of taking the filter to the cold air I decided to bring the air to the filter. Some brake cooling duct hose and scoops and presto. I'm working on a box that the hoses will plug into. I'm also going to fiberglass a hood chamber that will seal off to the filter. So this is temporary but you can get the gist.

You can see here how freaking big the bell mouth filter is!!!

Old filter compared to new.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Attended Holley LS Fest this past weekend! 3 days of racing and it was incredible! Car will be featured in Vette magazine,
Popular Hot Rodding and Chevy High Performance. For my first ever race event I placed well. Vids and pics to come!

http://www.vetteweb.com/events/1309_...s_fest_sunday/
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Been a while since I updated! Santa brought new goodies for the GS! Ridetech triple adjustable coilovers and a Banski rear setup! I also installed C6 front calipers in place of the J55.

New iSS FM-10R wheels have been ordered as well!
Trying to decide on gunmetal or black centers

SPC upper control arms, Del-a-lum lower control arm bushings, and Exotic Muscle Racing heim end sway bar links, are on the way. That should do it for the suspension.

Rear shocks have since been flipped upside down, like the fronts, to minimize unsprung weight.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Chevy High Performance magazine April 2014 issue! Check out my Vette's feature article!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Teching In

I have read the write up on your car. Well done! Great to have someone from our area in a mag! I have friends and family that live up in your neck of the woods. Who did your exhaust and are they here in lower Alabama? Thanks, Jim.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Thanks! I built my first pipes and then had the second set welded together in Georgia. I just reused the shields I built on the new pipes. Actually building ANOTHER set now ha. Going to be black and more tucked under the car. Building essentially Borla multi core inserts
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM
DWS

Wickedly cool build!

If you sold that thing, you would totally deserve a punch in the face! lol

Question for ya... Where did you get the coil covers? Been looking for something like those...

Cheers,

Ds
Old 02-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks! Yeah I would have deserved a punch in the face!

Ridetech.com can hook you up with anything you need. The units I bought are triple adjustables but they also have double and single and even electronically adjustable units. They have a coilover spring rate calculator where you plug your measurements in.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Launching!

All sanded down! Making some changes!

I really like the c2 tail light bezels. I am going to paint them satin black. They almost fit right in! That shows how close the molds are for this car. They are tapered and made to fit the contour of the rear bumper. For them to fit with light sanding is impressive!

The doors have never fit properly.. No thanks to the first painter. We never adjusted them on the second paint job, but this time around I remedied that problem!

Headed to the painter

Had to switch to the louvered hood!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Tyler,

It was a pleasure talking to you at the Chevy High Performance event last weekend in Atlanta. I've followed the build and was stoked to get to see it in person. I'm glad to hear directly from someone that really gets to use the car that the quality of the Mongoose product has held up well over the 20K+ miles you've driven. That goes a long way to aid my future decision to go with a Mongoose. Thanks again for taking the time to talk about the Mongoose quality and your build experience.

Brent
Old 06-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Teching In

officially subscribed!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

My dream car. I love this build. I want it. I guess subscribing to this thread will just have to do for now.

James
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Thank you and great to meet you, Brent. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm!

Its been quite some time since I updated, so here we are since all the sanding pics and upgrades!

Quick Reply: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics!)