Sponsored by:

LS1 in 68 Camaro - exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS1 in 68 Camaro - exhaust question

Hey all,

Just picked up a 68 Camaro a few days ago. It currently has a 307/TH-350 combo in it with less than steller power AND MPG lol.

Am considering the LS1 swap and have been doing a good bit of reading. One question I have, which is perhaps too difficult to answer as each case is different, relates to the exhaust setup of the swap.

Will the stock manifolds clear the steering assembly okay? Did you all have to do much fab to connect it down to the exhaust. The car currently has headers, but for cost savings initially, I'd rather not drop another 500+ on a good set of headers for the LS1. I don't currently have a welder or tube bender, and while I'm comfortable doing the installation/swap, it would be nice to know if I'd need to tow it up to an exhaust shop to get them to connect it.

Again, I realize each situation may be different and there is a "think on your feet" aspect to all this, but any advanced knowledge is appreciated.

PS here is what I picked up on Tuesday:
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your new camaro. You wont be able to connect your old exhaust to the stock LS manifolds without modifying the pipes & flanges. Stock manifolds fit easily, but you will have to block off the EGR ports in them as well as the intake (unless you keep the egr). If you have headers now and decide to put headers on the LS motor, it would only take some slight exhaust work to hook up the old exhaust to the LS headers. A lot would be determined by what is on the car now and what headers you use on the LS motor. If you plan on using headers for sure down the road, just wait until you can pick up a set before you do the swap- it'll be cheaper in the long run by not having to pay twice to connect the existing exhaust. Summit or Jegs has some for $400. Unless the exhaust shop is a long way away, just drive there it with open headers/manifolds I always do. Keep us updated on the swap
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a set of manifolds from a trailblazer in a 70 chevelle and fit great and had plenty of room.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4th Gen F-body headers and stock manifolds will fit. BBC headers can be modified by cutting the flange off and using LSx flanges and maybe minor tube adjustments.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at my Thread on my build i used Patriot Clipster Headers on my 1972 Nova. A Nova and 68-69 Camaro's use the same headers and the Clipsters only cost like $350.00 and are Half tub headers so you get lots of Ground Clearance.

Quick Reply: LS1 in 68 Camaro - exhaust question