Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Relay Hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Relay Hot

I just realized that when I wired my fuel pump relay, the switched +12V (not the signal, but the hot to the relay coil [86]) is wired to key on, power off durring cranking. It has always started just fine, but I'm wondering if the stock Fbody circuit runs the fuel pump relay +12V when key on, power on durring cranking?

Andy1
Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1
I just realized that when I wired my fuel pump relay, the switched +12V (not the signal, but the hot to the relay coil [86]) is wired to key on, power off durring cranking. It has always started just fine, but I'm wondering if the stock Fbody circuit runs the fuel pump relay +12V when key on, power on durring cranking?

Andy1
Without knowing anything about your engine or PCM or what body it's in or what wiring you have... Most PCM's send a 2 second pulse to the FP relay when the key is turned to "on". It then shuts off the pulse and awaits a start condition before re-energizing it.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

The reason for my question is that in the current scheme, there is no power to the fuel pump durring cranking; power is only in run. Yes, I'm aware of the 2 second pulse (though I always heard it was 3 seconds). I just was wondering if the Fbody has power durring cranking. This is a 914/LS1 swap; motor is '01 LS1. The change to make it so that there's power durring cranking is pretty simple.

Andy1
Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would wire the relay hot term (#86) to a fused +12v battery source and not switch Ign. That well leave switched power from the IGN to control the relay. That way as the pcm sends a 2 second activation, the relay will have +12v to prime the fuel system.

BC
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No , none of the GM's have power during cranking unless You turn the key on and as quick as possible turn it to start . Turn You're key to on don't start and listen to the fuel pump run and turn off . It won't turn back on until the engine is started .
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As mentioned above, feed the load side (switching circuit) of your fuel pump relay with 12v+ directly from HOT AT ALL TIMES (fuse protected) This takes the current draw of the fuel pump away from your ignition switch. You should do the same with any FAN relays as well.

The PCM supplies 12v+ to trip the relay coil for the fuel pump. Make sure other side of relay coil is GROUNDED. Keep in mind ANY other devices the PCM controls, like fan relays, the PCM supplies GROUND for relay control.

The fuel pump is energized for 2 seconds or so on initial KEY ON, then is commanded OFF until there are ignition reference pulses received from the crankshaft position sensor. (You can just bump the starter and fuel pump will activate again for 2 seconds and stop) This means as soon as you start cranking again, the fuel pump will activate. (this also serves as a diagnostic aid for a no start condition. If fuel pump activates when cranking, you know the PCM is reading the crank sensor)

Good Luck

-Brendan.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

All great input, and some things I hadn't considered. As usual, this forum is a fantastic rescource.
Thanks a lot!

Andy1
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Where did you get your switched source? I'm trying to run a second pump and need to find the stock swithced source and I'm not having any luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Where did you get your switched source? I'm trying to run a second pump and need to find the stock swithced source and I'm not having any luck.
My swap is in a Porsche, but I used a switched hot on the fuse panel.

Andy1

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Hot