Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 1st Gen Camaro fuel tank modification for ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock 1st Gen Camaro fuel tank modification for ls swap

Quick question, Can I just use my stock tank with stock sending unit to a hp inline pump? If not, can I fab in a sump and feed the pump that way while using the stock sending unit to gauge fuel level?

Thanks in advance!

There is SO much information on ls swaps it gets so confusing what works and what doesn't. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this question. If it helps, I have a complete '99 z28 donor car.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barryp
Quick question, Can I just use my stock tank with stock sending unit to a hp inline pump? If not, can I fab in a sump and feed the pump that way while using the stock sending unit to gauge fuel level?
I used a Competition Engineering rear sump (~1/2 gallon volume) with fewer/smaller (and more centered) holes in the 1st Gen tank for better fuel retention. Yeah, I know that it can be seen from the outside and it's funky looking.

The sending unit is an OEM BBC replacement 3/8" with a vent. The 3/8" line is used for the return, the vent is still a vent and the sending unit works fine.

It's plumbed with -6AN to a Walbro 255 inline pump and Corvette filter/regulator that's mounted in an aluminum housing that is isolated from the frame/body with 6 isolators. The whole unit is set up so that it can be serviced without removing it from the car.

The pump housing unit is located on the subframe. Except at startup, the noise level is about the same as my 02 Silverado.

The line from the filter/regulator to the fuel rail is also -6AN.

Last edited by scatillac; 09-20-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put the LS1 "bucket" assembly in my stock 1st gen tank. It was no easy task, you'll have to cut down the bucket to 7" tall, graft in the ring from the LS1 tank (welding on tank required), and I had to reverse the wires on the stock ls1 sending unit to get it to read in the right direction after I modded it. It was a lot of work, but it didn't cost me much more than time. Here's a few pictures of how I did it.

Fuel pump before

And after cutting it down to fit my tank

I'm running the aeromotive regulator because I want to be able to run with a Carb for a while, and with a spring change you can bump it up to 4 bar pressures.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Tanks Inc. In Tank Pump Assy. works great, very quiet. You will need to boil out your tank for 80.00 or for 70. more you can buy a new one spectra.
Attached Thumbnails Stock 1st Gen Camaro fuel tank modification for ls swap-gas-tank.jpg   Stock 1st Gen Camaro fuel tank modification for ls swap-filter.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't respond to this one cause he asked about using 1st gen tank and external pump. but as long as your looking at the 4th gen sender ..

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm

which would work also with what Beach did... !

Hope it helps some. IMO, if not racing. Intank is he way to go...

BC
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a link to some pics on how I put a Tanks Inc unit in mine. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...fuel-pump.html

I like mine till I saw beachcruisers. That looks a lot nicer than mine.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Beach Cruiser, that is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for throwin up those pics--that will help a ton! I noticed you didn't use the vette filter/reg? Any reason why?

I was hoping to modify a stock tank because it is brand new... I bought it before an ls1 opportunity knocked AND I have a full donor ls1 car

I'll start working on it this week and post up some pics
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Teching In

One more question Beach Cruiser, how is the clearance on the top of the tank? should I recess the sender down further?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Teching In

bump?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't use the corvette filter because I went with the aeromotive regulator so I can adjust pressure from carb to 4 bar. I have a carb motor in the car at the moment. If I wasn't for that, the corvette system is the way to go. As for clearance, it's up against the trunk, but the straps fit and the tank is snug as you can see.

I wanted to keep the stock look, plus I didn't have the moeny to throw down on a after market tank. In all, I think it cost me less than $100, not counting the regulator.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

We have had great luck with the Tanks Inc setup and we do a simple line kit to plumb it right to your new motor. Give me a call I'll get you setup.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
We have had great luck with the Tanks Inc setup and we do a simple line kit to plumb it right to your new motor. Give me a call I'll get you setup.

With these tanks and sending units are there any issues with fuel slosh with gas lower than a quarter tank?

I know msot guys doing auto cross ran into this when taking hard corners.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcz28
With these tanks and sending units are there any issues with fuel slosh with gas lower than a quarter tank?

My car isnt a Pro Touring car by any means so i havent been able to duplicate loss of fuel pressure under hard cornering, i have done some playing in the corners and there is no issue yet even under 1/4 tank.

The Tanks Inc setup includes a bucket at the bottom of the pump to hold prob a 1/4 gallon of gas.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Thanks for the info, but I think I have everything I need...I'll hit ya up if I decide to go a different route!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usmcz28

I'm planning on adding some baffles to the stock tank when I cut it open to section in the pump and sender like beach cruiser did.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure you get a 99 or later tank and pump, the 98 assembly is different and doesn't have the Venturi feed into the "bucket"
Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot to mention, that if you could come accross a 5th Gen Assembly, it's already shorter and much less work.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
Make sure you get a 99 or later tank and pump, the 98 assembly is different and doesn't have the Venturi feed into the "bucket"
Got it! Yea, I have a complete 99 Z28 as my donor car--Next stop, tackling reworking the harness.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help btw!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

beach , what welding process did You use to weld the tank back together ? mig

Quick Reply: Stock 1st Gen Camaro fuel tank modification for ls swap