Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up an LQ4 today - have some basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up an LQ4 today - have some basic questions

I'm brand new to the LS scene so what i'm looking for is just a basic diagram or schematic that points out what each sensor is on the engine plus other items. Evap pump? EGR setup? etc.... trying to figure out what I need and don't need when I put this in my mustang.

No power steering or a/c - alternator, water pump and crank so what is the preferred belt routing for that?

I'm actively using "search" but sometimes you get answers a bit quicker by posting so that being said, i'll answer my own questions if I run across them before someone points me in the right directions.

Thanks all!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Launching!

lt1swap.com for the schematics
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks I have that one saved. I'm looking for something more along the lines of all the sensors on the engine, I have no idea what each of them are. For example there's a sensor in the head and I have an idea that it's the coolant temp. Trying to remember my LT1 Z from 6 years ago is a little tough but I think that's the same thing on this LQ4.

Does this have a crank trigger? I bought it as a 2002 but i'm starting to think it's a 2001, has 317 heads but I was trying to match up the intake just to double check. Block ID is pretty vague and i'm not really sure how to tell one year from another. Just the little things i'm trying to start with, I need to know what each of these sensors and other items are on the engine so I can determine what I need and don't need.

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Found the belt routing I was looking for

Thanks to this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...cessories.html
Old 10-07-2011, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Crank Sensor: behind the Starter
Cam Sensor: back center behind the Valley Cover
Oil Press Sender: drivers side next to the Cam Sensor
Knock Sensors: in the Valley Cover..pretty much in the center of the front four and rear four Cylinders
Temp Sensor: front of the drivers Head

That's pretty much all that is on the Gen III Engine.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Merv - how about the connections on the throttle body and I thought I saw one on the intake? I'll end up picking up a book on these things at some point. There's vacuum lines and some other things hanging off this thing. Will try to get pics of everything that i'm lost on and see if you guys can point them out for me.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is DBW, had one connector on the throttle body, DBC had two connectors, idle air control (IAC) and Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). On top of the intake is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) is joined with the Inlet Air Temp Sensor (IAT) into one 5 pin MAF located adjacent to the Air Filter. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

All of this is helping thanks

I found an lq4/lq9 .pdf file last night - appears to be a service manual that I must have downloaded a while back when researching the swap. It has quite a bit of information in it.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you're on the right track but i don't know about that belt routing. I'm not sure if you'll have hood clearance for that alternator position. most mustang/lsx combos use the f-body accessories. do some searching, i think you'll find other options could be better.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostnut
sounds like you're on the right track but i don't know about that belt routing. I'm not sure if you'll have hood clearance for that alternator position. most mustang/lsx combos use the f-body accessories. do some searching, i think you'll find other options could be better.
Thanks, i'll keep looking into it. The car has a 2 1/2 or 3" hood on it and i'll be flipping the truck manifolds and making another turbo kit for the car so I have to keep that under consideration too.

Is there anything else I need to change if I run the f-body alternator bracket?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Check out my photobucket, I have modified a lot of things to get them to fit. I also started with a LQ4

Quick Reply: Picked up an LQ4 today - have some basic questions