Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l with ls1 intake ...which harness to use ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3l with ls1 intake ...which harness to use ?

Got a 5.3l 99 truck motor I wanted to put an ls1 intake on. I was gonna use a painless harness "maybe" but I dont know what to get. Will a truck harness work with an ls1 intake. What are most of you guys using in this combination ? I have the truck harness but I know the reluctor is different for the 5.3l and 5.7l ls1. Any advice or knowledge would be helpfull. Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as the harness, the car injector plugs are different then the truck injector plugs and some of the routing may be different, as far as where the alt is, etc. are you using the truck acc. and just putting the ls1 intake on? and if you dont mind me asking, why do you want to switch? if for hood clearance you may have to move the alt too
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As LScustomers stated, the injector plugs are going to be different. Also, the location of the MAP sensor is different (Truck is on top of the intake and the car is on the back). Not sure what you mean by the crank reluctors being different. They are both 24x engines. Our harness HAR-1012(4L60E transmission) or HAR-1013(T56/TH350/TH400/Powerglide) will work for your application with the car intake if interested.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

{ LSCustoms : as far as the harness, the car injector plugs are different then the truck injector plugs and some of the routing may be different, as far as where the alt is, etc. are you using the truck acc. and just putting the ls1 intake on? and if you dont mind me asking, why do you want to switch? if for hood clearance you may have to move the alt too }

I have no reason other than Cosmetics/ and I was offered a car intake for free.
Heres what I got : An 88 monte carlo, A motor with only a/c bracket and an idler pulley and tensioner and no accessories, A truck intake and oil pan and wiring harness and computer. I was gonna make my motor mounts because I'm running the 200-4r thats in the car, so the motor will end up where ever the trans puts it. I'm on a budget so it limits everything. The painless harness was offered to me at a very good discount.

I'm open for suggestions / knowledge on fitments of which brackets and accesories will work. I've done alot of research and have not really seen to many g bodies that run the 200-4r trans in the stock location.

{ psiconversion : As LScustomers stated, the injector plugs are going to be different. Also, the location of the MAP sensor is different (Truck is on top of the intake and the car is on the back). Not sure what you mean by the crank reluctors being different. They are both 24x engines. Our harness HAR-1012(4L60E transmission) or HAR-1013(T56/TH350/TH400/Powerglide) will work for your application with the car intake if interested }

I'm definitely interested in seeing your price for the harnesses. The HAR-1013
I thought the reluctors are different between the car and truck. Or early and later yr. engines. I guess you cant believe everything you read on the internet..lol
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing an LS1 intake on a 2001 5.3L

The truck harness will work. Cutting the black (ground) wire for the coil harness will allow you to relocate it wherever you want, just need to extend the ground wires.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by psiconversion
As LScustomers stated, the injector plugs are going to be different. Also, the location of the MAP sensor is different (Truck is on top of the intake and the car is on the back). Not sure what you mean by the crank reluctors being different. They are both 24x engines. Our harness HAR-1012(4L60E transmission) or HAR-1013(T56/TH350/TH400/Powerglide) will work for your application with the car intake if interested.

Jon
PSI
glad you chimed in, im going to be ordering a pcm and program from you shortly... i have a 1999 camaro harness that i modified... i havent found and purchased a car intake setup yet, but i have the truck intake and complete motor pretty much ready to go in, i also have the factory truck harness, i dont want to cut the injector plugs off the other harness and solder them into my car harness, i know i will be switching to a ls1/ls6 soom...

EV1 TO EV6 FUEL INJECTOR ADAPTER HARNESS, is this what these are for, like a plug and play adaptor to the truck intake from the car
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm running a 6.0l Block with all F-body Accessories in my 1984 MCSS, I'm using a LS1 F-body Harness & PCM. It fits nice.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rikoshay
I'm doing an LS1 intake on a 2001 5.3L

The truck harness will work. Cutting the black (ground) wire for the coil harness will allow you to relocate it wherever you want, just need to extend the ground wires.
Now you are reffering to the factory truck harness right?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, factory truck harness. The coil harnesses are restricted by a very short ground wire (black). Once you snip those you can move it anywhere you want by extending the black wire.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
I'm running a 6.0l Block with all F-body Accessories in my 1984 MCSS, I'm using a LS1 F-body Harness & PCM. It fits nice.
Thanks, thats good to know. I was entertaining thoughts of using the qwik brackets. I dont mind buying a new alternator and power steering pump to fit whatever brackets i go with so it kinda works out good. The only crappy part is that here in hawaii ls1 accessory brackets seem hard to come by from junkyards. They wont sell anything off the motor. Complete motors only. which might be a good excuse to buy another motor which i'm sure will fit nicely in my 69 chevelle.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rikoshay
Yes, factory truck harness. The coil harnesses are restricted by a very short ground wire (black). Once you snip those you can move it anywhere you want by extending the black wire.
Ok, My concern was if I was to order a painless harness which one would I want.. Damn I guess I shoud just set up my factory truck harness to work with what ever intake i end up using. Did you set up the factory truck harness your self ? If so do you have any reference material on doing that ?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nic Morales
Ok, My concern was if I was to order a painless harness which one would I want.. Damn I guess I shoud just set up my factory truck harness to work with what ever intake i end up using. Did you set up the factory truck harness your self ? If so do you have any reference material on doing that ?
lt1swap.com
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

this 4 part shows how easy it is, and if you had the car harness like me its even easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITS_uOXZrU
Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Launching!

but again, the truck intake injectors and the car intake injector plugs are different, so which ever you use, you just need to make sure you put the correct plug ends on... as shown in the video... i did my car harness and it was fun and easy, with the help of this site and lt1swap.com's info
Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nic,

Reluctors are the same on car or truck for Gen III engines.

LS,
The adapters that we have are for EV1 to EV6 setup. You will need adapters for the Multec to EV1 injectors. We dont offer that type of adapter. Not sure if anyone does.

JON
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Nic,

LS,
The adapters that we have are for EV1 to EV6 setup. You will need adapters for the Multec to EV1 injectors. We dont offer that type of adapter. Not sure if anyone does.

JON
PSI
ok, thank you, then if i use the stock truck intake, i have to cut a solder, which i dont wanna do, so ill keep searching for a ls1 style...
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by LSCustoms
but again, the truck intake injectors and the car intake injector plugs are different, so which ever you use, you just need to make sure you put the correct plug ends on... as shown in the video... i did my car harness and it was fun and easy, with the help of this site and lt1swap.com's info
Ls, Thanks for the resources. You made my life easier..lol. Following the videos and lt1swap.com I have just completed setting up my truck harness to be a standalone set up. I found some pictures of a truck intake a guy had smoothed out and painted, So i may just try this out for the fun factor ! Thanks again..
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Nic,

LS,

JON
PSI
Thanks for the info and help... Why does msd sell 2 different coil pack control boxes if they're all the same ? I'm confused..
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nic,

Below states the reason for two different MSD controllers. In general (there are exceptions to the list below but for ease of discussion I am negating outliers)........

1997-2007 Generation III LS/VORTEC Engines, used a 24x crank reluctor (most easily identifiable by the cam sensor on the rear of the engine).
2007-Current Generation IV LS/VORTEC Engines, used a 58x crank reluctor (most easily identifiable by the cam sensor on the front of the engine in the timing cover).

As stated above, yes I know that the LS2 was available originally as a 24x engine with the Gen IV arcitechture but for the sake of this discussion I dont believe it matters. Hope this helps with confusion.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nic Morales
Ls, Thanks for the resources. You made my life easier..lol. Following the videos and lt1swap.com I have just completed setting up my truck harness to be a standalone set up. I found some pictures of a truck intake a guy had smoothed out and painted, So i may just try this out for the fun factor ! Thanks again..
cool glad i could help...

Quick Reply: 5.3l with ls1 intake ...which harness to use ?