Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv routing and rear main seal issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pcv routing and rear main seal issue

I just got my carbed 2002 lq9 running and I routed my front passenger port on the valve cover to the port on the front of my carb. I soon noticed a squealing noise and thought it was my serpentine so i adjusted the power steering pulley because it was a little off and took a test drive. During the ride it still squealed a bit but i could not help myself and i gave it wot a couple of times and the last time i noticed a cloud of smoke so i pulled over and found that oil had shot out onto my exhaust. I still have to get the car up in the air to verify but i think It came from my rear main seal due to improper routing of my pcv. I swapped the carb port to the driver rear valve cover and put a mini breather on the pass front port and that seemed to help with some idol surges i was having and silenced the squealing but now im wondering if my rear seal is toast. if that is in fact where it shot out from and the squeal i was hearing was air pushing out, my question is can a rear main seal have a leak from to much pressure and not leak after the problem is fixed? or will it always leak once breached. cant say i have ever come across this problem and wondering if someone else has.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know, I didn't give mine a chance. My seal leaked and I (prolly) wasted a bunch of time and effort changing it out. I added a pair of "old school" breathers and all has been well since...
Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

got under the car today and cleaned up the mess. The squeal came back but just a little and i haven't been able to verify because it's intermittent and stops every time i stop and get out to look
Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you sure the squeal is not your serpentine belt ! Sorry, but this is one of them problems you have just get hints and keep going over it until you find something that is the root cause.

If you PCV system is not pulling vacumn from the crank case, Yes it can cause blown main seals. As without a fresh air in take, it turns into a close crank case. And by running the engine in higher RPM will create and build pressure that can blow oil past the seals.

Normally the front port on the valve cover is for the fresh air intake via the Throttle body or and air cleaner, Not sure if they a baffled differently that the port (on the valve cover) for the PCV to intake (carb) side. but yes.. the two back ports are used for that.

Let us know what you find..

BC
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the front pass port on a carbed situation should just have a breather filter on it.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

thats how i have it now breather on the pass front and the driver rear to the carb port. I will take off my belt again tomorrow and make sure the belt can ruled out for sure.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

ok so it's not the belt. This sounds weird but i think it might be my trannny. the fluid it spit out seems to be trans fluid and the squeal is still there but not the same squeal as when i routed the pcv backwards. It really sounds like it's coming from the trans near the tq. I've never heard a tranny squeal like a loose belt sound though,anyone else?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing this out there. If you installed a new seal or cover on the rear, it is possible you may have rolled part of the lip on the crank surface enough to create a whistle or squeal once crank pressure builds and the oil follows suit. You say the pitch changed when you altered the PCV system. Hard to say for sure but, possible. I've heard of vacuum pumps pulling air past the seal and creating a squeal but, this is reversed. Let us know what you find.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Finally found the squeal, it was my header rubbing on my lower control arm support. I couldn't see where until my starter quit and I removed the header to get to the wires. With the header off i noticed the wrap was frayed and the header had a scratch on it. A little bit of grinding and so far no squeak.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sherman8r
Finally found the squeal, it was my header rubbing on my lower control arm support. I couldn't see where until my starter quit and I removed the header to get to the wires. With the header off i noticed the wrap was frayed and the header had a scratch on it. A little bit of grinding and so far no squeak.
This reminds me of that AAMCO Transmissions commercial where the owners of cars are trying to describe the noises they hear coming from their cars. There is a big difference between a SQUEAL and a SQUEAK you have everybody trying to identify a squealing noise when in fact you say it was just a squeak, your engine must be running very rough if the header is rubbing that hard to make such an audible noise and this still doesnt explain your big oil leak, did it magically repair itself?

Last edited by lizeec; 11-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

lol. I know it sounds odd but it sounded exactly like a loose belt to me and everyone else that heard it, and the fact that it was right near my tq baffled us all even more. I would have never guessed that was it because the engine runs real smooth but there must have been just enough movement for a noise to develop. it does make sense now why it was intermittent. as for my oil leak I have been dry ever since so I guess i will just keep an eye on things until I see a reason to worry.

Quick Reply: pcv routing and rear main seal issue