Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Mustang GT Convertible. Is it worth puttinga LSx into it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 Mustang GT Convertible. Is it worth puttinga LSx into it?

I picked up this car a week ago for $450. It has no engine in it. It is an automatic car and it will need a new top. I am getting the original engine for the car which is supposedly bad. I have 3 other projects in the works,one of which is a LSx swap into a 1963 Chevy Chevy II Coupe which I am going to put a 5 spd behind it.
Anyway,what kind of problems will i run into putting a LS engine into it? i can get a 4.6 engine for $600 and i am tempted to just stick it into it and just drive the POS but thought it might be fun to put a GM eninge into a F**D product. What would you guys do.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should be a pretty easy swap...an LSx will bolt in if you drill a hole in the 4.6 mounts. Chevy auto transmission will also bolt in without much hassle.

You'd be bolting at least 100hp more than stock and at least a couple of MPG better...heck yes I'd do it.

The only real issue I can think of is getting the gauges to work, but worst comes to worst, you can always put a Camaro cluster in it...they even look like they belong.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0Nova?
That should be a pretty easy swap...an LSx will bolt in if you drill a hole in the 4.6 mounts. Chevy auto transmission will also bolt in without much hassle.

You'd be bolting at least 100hp more than stock and at least a couple of MPG better...heck yes I'd do it.

The only real issue I can think of is getting the gauges to work, but worst comes to worst, you can always put a Camaro cluster in it...they even look like they belong.
Yes it's worth it! You can swap out the gauges for 94-95 cluster, I'm in the process of doing that with mine. No real problems, everything about this swap is documented on this site at least 6 times.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

All the gauges work in my 1997 Thunderbird, I don't see why you would have problems in a Mustang.

A link to build topic on the swap is in my signature.