Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a couple LSX questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I have a couple LSX questions...

My first question is are there any differences in a 4L60E from a car & a 4L60E from a truck. I would think the trans from the truck would be geared more towards towing & stuff like that but ...

When doing a LSX swap is there a certain year trans that you have to use or are they all pretty much all the same? My engine is 5.3 from a 2002 & I'm just making sure that I do not need to have a 2002 transmission or something like that...

I will not have enough room under my hood to clear the truck manifold & alternator so I am putting the LS1 intake manifold on with the rails & injectors. I have been reading that the connectors from my harness will not will not match up with the LS1 injectors. I also read in a couple threads that people are using Ford injectors on LS1's and its a direct swap so I started thinking... Instead of paying $70 bucks on eBay for a set of pigtails for the LS1 injectors I could just go the local salvage yard and get some pigtails off of a Ford car but which car could I get them from???

Last edited by veltboy618; 05-22-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS1 injector pigtails can come from a yard as well. Most 90's multi point injected GM vehicles came with the same style plugs. My set came from a V8 Oldsmobile Aurora.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
The LS1 injector pigtails can come from a yard as well. Most 90's multi point injected GM vehicles came with the same style plugs. My set came from a V8 Oldsmobile Aurora.
Thanks for that info!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As for the trans the only difference between the 4L60 that came behind an LS1 and one from a 5.3 is the LS1 trans had a "vette" servo from the factory. That's an excellent mod for any transmission IMO and cheap (like $15).
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss454327
As for the trans the only difference between the 4L60 that came behind an LS1 and one from a 5.3 is the LS1 trans had a "vette" servo from the factory. That's an excellent mod for any transmission IMO and cheap (like $15).
Whats a servo??? You lost me with that post. Can you explain that a little?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

It has to do with shift speed/quality. The servo actuates a band inside the transmission, and the vette one likely does so more quickly to give a firmer shift.

The truck transmission has a smoother/slower acting servo than the car transmission. If you get a truck transmission, its a bolt-on affair to upgrade (according to the previous post, I don't know if that's the only difference).
Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
It has to do with shift speed/quality. The servo actuates a band inside the transmission, and the vette one likely does so more quickly to give a firmer shift.

The truck transmission has a smoother/slower acting servo than the car transmission. If you get a truck transmission, its a bolt-on affair to upgrade (according to the previous post, I don't know if that's the only difference).
Any links to what I would need or write ups on how to change it because the only thing I'm finding out this way is transmissions from trucks & vans
Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vette+servo+install
Old 11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Hahaha!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Simply put the Corvette servo has a larger surface area that the fluid pushes against, which gives it greater holding power.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Also, forgot to mention that the car transmission doesn't have the external range switch located on the side of the transmission. When I was working over my truck harness I had a couple connectors left over. I'm using a 4l60e from a 98 TransAm.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

In the section for the red connector on LT1swap.com site I see some wires are high lighted yellow to remove. It looks like some of those wires go to the A/C. I want to put A/C back into my car. Will I need to keep any of the yellow high lighted wires go get my A/C to work?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Teching In

If you are going to use a truck transmission you might want to do some investigation on the differece in the torque converters as well. I am pretty sure there are differences in stock converters. Maybe someone else can sine a little light on this.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Unless you add all the original sensors to your system, the AC controls to the ecu wont work. I'm running aftermarket air (Classic and Vintage) without AC request, etc to the ecu, no problems at all.
Originally Posted by veltboy618
In the section for the red connector on LT1swap.com site I see some wires are high lighted yellow to remove. It looks like some of those wires go to the A/C. I want to put A/C back into my car. Will I need to keep any of the yellow high lighted wires go get my A/C to work?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think car trans also has torque arm mount on the case?? Ideally I'd be looking at a trans for genIII, although I am not positive on differences in bellhousing, etc., if you find one from an older vehicle...

As far as ratios, they are all the same I do believe, but could be wrong.

vette servo can easily be had aftermarket, so I wouldn't worry about that when looking at the core trans...

And yeah, to run LS1 type injectors on your truck harness you need to cut off the mini plugs and us an EV1 pigtail plug, which like mentioned, can be easily found in many vehicles at junkyard, or ordered direct from Racetronix for ~$5 ea. and they come with shrink tube and solder... I just got done doing this.