Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion

Old 12-20-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FINALLY!!! The damned radiator and fans showed up! It's a MIRACLE that was a mere 3 months in the making.....FINALLY Griffin delivers what I ordered...

Also got the exhaust back today from being purge tig welded.....turned out nice, so I'm pretty happy with it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, the rear suspension is pretty much done now. The strut pockets had to be relocated (upper and lower) to clear the cv axles...but that was not all. Turns out, the Xida coilovers are substantially shorter than stock (my first time buying true high-end struts)....so we had to "gain" 1 inch in the lower pocket to work as well as we wanted in to on the street. No biggie, as we were already moving/relocating the pockets....

[IMG][/IMG]

All-in-all, it's starting to come together pretty quickly now. I'm hoping for no more than 2 weeks from now to be back in the driver's seat.

More to come.....
Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few more updates....

Exhaust is now completed and installed....

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally got the correct-length pushrods, and installed the COMP trunion upgrade kit....

[IMG][/IMG]

Completed the new suspension, and dropped it down to see where it sits. I'm not sure yet on where I want to go with it...maybe a little lower??

[IMG][/IMG]

Everything under the car is now completed...minus this temporary fix. I'm hoping to find a "one piece" solution, but this will work for now.....

[IMG][/IMG]

So, here's how it sits now....just starting the wiring process. We've decided to keep the PCM inside the car, to keep wiring as clean as possible under the hood. We'll see how it goes....

Next....it's time to finish the intake setup, and fab a cold air housing of some sort to keep as much hot air out of the fresh air charge as possible. Not much room to work with though.

More to come....it's getting close now, and I'm pretty stoked about it!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Watching this closely.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

what a sweet build
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.

Here's an updated/obligatory pic of the engine bay with 'Vette engine covers. A BUNCH of time and effort was spent here to make it look this simple and un-cluttered. All engine wiring is done, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. We still have to fab the air intake, and finish a bunch of other stuff...but it's coming along nicely now. I'm hoping for completion late next week.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks great, you're doing one heck of a good job! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks killer,will be a fun ride
Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That looks great, you're doing one heck of a good job! Bob
I can't take credit for it, but thanks It's turning out better than I'd hoped for.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Awesome build, can't wait for the finish product with maybe a video it two...??....
Old 12-31-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lupers3
Awesome build, can't wait for the finish product with maybe a video it two...??....
Thanks. Yeah, I plan on doing a couple of short videos of it once it's running...mostly to give people an idea of what the exhaust tone is like. I'm hoping that it is quiet...but we'll find out next week some time. Right now, we're fighting the A/C wiring...should be sorted out soon.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

So....I've been getting a few PMs from people wanting to know what other oil pan I was referring to earlier in the thread that might work for this swap. It's made by Mast Motorsports (MTM401-111), and looks to be a great choice...as far as I can tell. I have not called Mast to verify the pan dimensions, but will post pics below so that it might help others verify fitment for themselves.

With that being said, I'm hoping that someone will reply back here with a definitive answer once they are able to verify fitment. $825.00 for an oil pan from V8R is just too much $$$ for what you get (IMHO), and the piece from Mast comes in at almost HALF of V8R's pan....and is cast aluminum.

Anyway, here are the pics of my car with the measurements:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope this helps some folks. The only thing I will add here, is that the measurement at the front of the oil pan is VERY close with the V8R pan....there is not much room to work with. I'd say maybe SLIGHTLY more than 1.5" from the bottom of the engine block before the rack gets in the way.

Last edited by salemetro; 01-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

A little bit of an update....sound deadening is 90% done (still have the rear deck area left to do), and we should be starting the car tomorrow night!
[IMG][/IMG]

Still lots of tidying up left to do, but it should go pretty quickly. A shorter shifter needs to be fabricated as well, but that should be no big deal. I'm really getting anxious to drive this thing, and it should be completed in it's entirety by roughly next Wednesday...so not too long now.!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Man that is a sweet build. Lots of time and effort. Good luck with startup dude!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
So....I've been getting a few PMs from people wanting to know what other oil pan

I used the stock F-body pan. Although, know if it works w/ any Billy Bob's XYZ Miata kit or not.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

A little more of an update....IT RUNS!!! We're now done chasing down the all the demons in the A/C system, so I've just got to install the compressor (once a custom manifold is made) have hoses made, and charge the system.

So, in the mean time;

[IMG][/IMG]

We decided to go ahead and run all the wiring for the new stereo. We had to remove the freakin' doors to get the wiring through the factory harness plug....was not all that bad, but ridiculous nonetheless.

Next, we had to make room for the Morel Elate 9's going in where the old speakers were....a bit of a chore...still need to sound deaden/seal the doors once it's all done. I was surprised to see how much speaker can acually fit in the door!

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm using a bit of new high-end gear on this one (Morel, Audison) combined with some old-school clean power....mostly stuff I've had for a while now, but some newer stuff that I've wanted to try for a while. I'm hoping that it sounds good when all the work is done....

More to come....
Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, I've been slacking on updates. So...

The car is now complete...minus A/C plumbing. I've logged about 1200 miles on it, and we've been working some bugs out. The exhaust tone is just what I was after...the car is quieter at 70mph (1750 rpms) than it ever was before....but if you nail it; pure awesomeness!! Let's just say that dropping from 6th to 3rd at 65mph is quite the experience LOL

I'll post some videos of it here when I have time...and when the rain stops long enough for me to detail the car a bit. Yep...nothing has changed...it's still my commuter/daily driver....and it's a freakin' blast!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Nice build. I'm doing an L33 in my 1990 RX-7. Inspirational. Can't wait for the videos.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Got any videos yet?

Im eyeing a 1993 miata, have my 6.0iron/l92/ls3 in the garage, almost don't want to put it in the camaro.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

I want to see videos too.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for updates

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion