Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliment. It's been a fun "sleeper" car....but after 40k of beating the **** out of it, the clutch went bad....so it was time for some upgrades. This is where things are with it currently:

80/83 S480 rear-mount turbo (Trunk will be welded back in once fab is done)

LS6 383, and T56 Magnum with Quicktime scatter shield and twin disc clutch.

I'm hoping to really get moving on finishing it up in the next few months....still lots to do.

Last edited by salemetro; 01-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was searching for LS swapped Miatas & found this.

Sweet build bro. Years in the making.

I've wanted to do a turbo Monster Miata for some time. When I started reading I was hoping to see you go turbo. Then you started talking F1... Then stroker.

Now today I see you did go turbo... LUV IT.

I'd love to see more pics of the turbo instal.

Any reason you went with the 7.5 over the 8.8?

What A/R did you go with on the turbine side? That looks like a T4 rather than a T6, correct?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
I was searching for LS swapped Miatas & found this.

Sweet build bro. Years in the making.

I've wanted to do a turbo Monster Miata for some time. When I started reading I was hoping to see you go turbo. Then you started talking F1... Then stroker.

Now today I see you did go turbo... LUV IT.

I'd love to see more pics of the turbo instal.

Any reason you went with the 7.5 over the 8.8?

What A/R did you go with on the turbine side? That looks like a T4 rather than a T6, correct?
Thanks man. I knew that I wanted to go F/I early on, but the time involved (and $$$) was just too much to take on all at once when doing the conversion to a v8....so I drove it N/A for a while.

The reason for going 7.5 at the time, was simply that I knew that the car would only be in the neighborhood of 400rwhp (actual 390 on my dyno)....so I couldn't justify the expense of going with the 8.8 at the time. It all lasted 30k miles on the street before I snapped the axles. I have since converted to the 8.8 with the 900hp axle/stub setup from DSS, so it should be good for the estimated 750-ish rwhp this time around.....but it was a chunk of $$$ to make it happen....cash I just didn't have when originally doing the build.

Yes, the s480 is a T4...I'd have to double check housing sizes, as I just had the guys at ForcedInductions.com size it all for me after telling them exactly what I was doing. Needless to say, this car will only see dry pavement....on drag radials from now on. Even so, it could easily be argued that this whole build will be largely useless on the street. I don't see it doing well from a dig at all, but I'll see what I can do in the tune to tame it down low. We'll see. I'll try to remember to post updates here....haven't been on here much over the past couple of years...so no promises. lol
Old 01-20-2016, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for coming back, & please, keep us updated.

Good to see you upgraded the rear. I was wondering how long the 7.5 would last. It's lucky it made it as long as it did.

A little laggy might be a good thing in this beast. What do you think the weight is with you aboard?

Did you consider piping the air inlet up into the trunk area to keep it from pulling up so much road dust?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
Thanks for coming back, & please, keep us updated.

Good to see you upgraded the rear. I was wondering how long the 7.5 would last. It's lucky it made it as long as it did.

A little laggy might be a good thing in this beast. What do you think the weight is with you aboard?

Did you consider piping the air inlet up into the trunk area to keep it from pulling up so much road dust?
Yeah, for the street, the 7.5 will survive pretty darn well when n/a. I broke mine at the dragstrip....with 30k on the axles/diff....with wheel hop. Bad overall combination. lol

You're also correct about lag...it will definitely help with this combination. Weight with me in the car...previous to any turbo mods....was right at 3k. It's definitely not the lightest car around, but is FAR from a gutted track car, and maintains a nice quiet interior. It really is intended to be a "real" street car. I have no plans currently to run the intake up into the trunk area. I considered it before, but decided against it....at least for now. We'll see.

Last edited by salemetro; 01-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really dig the 2nd gen bodies. Never cared for the pop-ups. It seems like its exactly how I would want it, but I could probably only afford a SBE 5.3/Turbo set-up... should be plenty fast for me.

It's on my list... for over a decade now...

Thanks for a helpful build thread.

Quick Reply: Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion