Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Sensor as VSS Source?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensor as VSS Source?

I am running a D44 out of a Rodeo in the rear of my Jeepster. It has an unused ABS tone ring mounted to the ring gear. I will be swapping in a LM7 with manual transmission and dana 20 transfer case so I really just need a vss for driveability reasons. I don't need an accurate speed reading for the speedometer or tranny. I have done some research on this forum and I think the abs output will work for the vss input (answers to vss questions are about as numerous and varied as answers to fuel pump questions). Has anyone done this or something similar? As far as numbers, it looks like the tone ring has about 100 teeth and since it's mounted on the 4.30 ring gear, that would be approximately equivalent to a 24 tooth ring mounted to the driveline. The other thing I am unclear on is will the pcm need to be flashed with the correct ppm or am I just looking for any kind of signal?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm working on this now with an addition of a vss to a muncie/T10 trans.
It looks like the 2 wire sensors will all work if the signal amplitude is adequate. It would seem the amplitude is related to vss magnet size (and subsequently vss diameter) and distance from reluctor.
My suggestion, get a huge vss to give more leeway in the vss/reluctor clearance.
As for programming, the only basic thing the ecu needs to know is if the car is moving. My uncalibrated Dakota Digital VSS only thinks I'm going about 5mph max and it prevents stalling issues while barely moving.
Other parameters do have issues. Looks like you dont have to worry about auto trans. But DBW cruise control needs a stable minimum reloctor count for stable operation. In addition I'm guessing there might be overspeed conditions that could affect you engine performance if the reluctor count makes the ecu think you're driving 300mph....
Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I once was looking into this also.. I found an kit that would mount the reluctor wheel on your Rear End Pinion and mount the VSS Sensor on the Rear Diff.

You would have to run a wire all the way back to it.. but it would work and seem like you can build off of that idea also.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you're referring to the JTR kit, that VSS looks very similar to a brake sensor I already have. Too bad that kit is for an anemic S10 pinion. Dont think it would work on a 10 or 12 bolt.

Originally Posted by bczee
I once was looking into this also.. I found an kit that would mount the reluctor wheel on your Rear End Pinion and mount the VSS Sensor on the Rear Diff.

You would have to run a wire all the way back to it.. but it would work and seem like you can build off of that idea also.

Quick Reply: ABS Sensor as VSS Source?