Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to t5 questions...I searched

Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to t5 questions...I searched

Hey guys, i've been lurking a lot and i'm in my research/collection stage. I've got an 86 foxbody with a 5.0 and 5 speed. i've been planning to put an LS1 in and i'd like to mate it to my ford t5. Now i know im going to hear all sorts of things about it being a bad idea but it's a built t5 and this will be street driven so please none of that. I've done research and i plan to use the quicktime bellhousing adapter. where i'm lost is the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and anything else.

Basically anyone who has successfully done this please tell me, cheapest way wouldnt hurt either haha.

you guys have a lot of great info on this site so thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

who built the transmission? and is the ls1 modded?

you should be able to use the stock clutch and everything. I KNOW that the gm wc T5 has the same spline count, but not totally sure on the ford T5.

just so you know, the most built t5 is just BARELY stronger than a stock t56.

and FYI, i have a 98 v6 fbody with a t5 in it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Stock LS1, and an astro performance t5. this will hardly be raced, more like a weekend cruiser so i'm really not worried about breaking anything. I was under the impression that a ford t5 had a 10 spline input shaft
Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

quicktime adapter
ls1 flywheel
mustang clutch disk
ls1 pressure plate?

would that work? or is there a better/correct way?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like it would, give it a whirl.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by battousai;

just so you know, the most built t5 is just BARELY stronger than a stock t56.
I dunno about all that bud.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Quicktime may make an adapter bell housing that's 0.5" longer, but you'll still need an adapter pilot bearing for the larger ford input shaft.
GM is 26 spline, ford 10 spline. You might be able to mix and match pressure plate and clutch.
If the trans has a 2.95 1st gear, you could swap out the input shaft fot a GM one, use an 86-89 astro van bell housing (drilled for GM and ford bolt patterns), LS1 clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, and an LS7 pilot bearing.
Originally Posted by Gregamuffin
quicktime adapter
ls1 flywheel
mustang clutch disk
ls1 pressure plate?

would that work? or is there a better/correct way?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

is anyone currently running a configuration that is known to work? i know the ford t5 is not on the top of the list of trans options but i figured someone must have put this mess together. appreciate the opinions so far!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

so it looks like i got my answer from another member, thesource, when i pm-ed him about my problem. looks like the parts list that will work for me reads as follows:

Quicktime bellhousing RM-6037
Ford throw out bearing
gm pilot bearing with ford inner diameter
ls1 flywheel
ls1 pressure plate
11" ford 10 spline clutch disk from 2000-up gt mustang
Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gregamuffin
so it looks like i got my answer from another member, thesource, when i pm-ed him about my problem. looks like the parts list that will work for me reads as follows:

Quicktime bellhousing RM-6037
Ford throw out bearing
gm pilot bearing with ford inner diameter
ls1 flywheel
ls1 pressure plate
11" ford 10 spline clutch disk from 2000-up gt mustang
Does this bellhousing allow you use the factory Ford clutch cable?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BrianI
Does this bellhousing allow you use the factory Ford clutch cable?
Yes sir.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thesource
Yes sir.
Sweet!! I'll be contacting you soon about the bellhousing
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

This makes me wonder if I could've kept my old gm t-5 to use with my 5.3L. I really hate this A4!!! I kida half *** tried to see if the t-5bellhousing would bolt up to the 5.3 and it looked like it would have. I just didnt continue looking into it....
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaroboricua
This makes me wonder if I could've kept my old gm t-5 to use with my 5.3L. I really hate this A4!!! I kida half *** tried to see if the t-5bellhousing would bolt up to the 5.3 and it looked like it would have. I just didnt continue looking into it....

I would like to know the same thing. I know that the t-5 Chevy bell housing will bolt up. What flywheel and clutch set up do you use?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not really the original posts question but, by all reason a gm t5 and bell will work fine but the ls1 flywheel would need to be spaced just like when you mate a th400 or th350 or even the 700r4 then you need the pilot spacer as well
Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

This is good to know.

Levy Racing makes a very stout T5 as does GForce. You could make a pretty stout T5 using GForces case and either GForce or Astro Gear. That would make for a pretty smooth and strong T5.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tig
This is good to know.

Levy Racing makes a very stout T5 as does GForce. You could make a pretty stout T5 using GForces case and either GForce or Astro Gear. That would make for a pretty smooth and strong T5.
The a5 gear kit is the way to go. Problem is that the cost of a unit is in t56 territory. I build about 5 units a year with that gear kit in it mostly for guys with street cars in the 500 hp range.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by F-bomb240
I would like to know the same thing. I know that the t-5 Chevy bell housing will bolt up. What flywheel and clutch set up do you use?
I have an A4 mated to my 5.3 right now. When I had the t5 and gen1 I was using a GMPP flywheel with a ram clutch. Not sure on the clutch I used though....
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Default T-5 behind LS

I was just researching adapter pilot bushing/bearings and ran across this thread.
I am using WC T5 behind 5.3. Basic old school steel scattersheild I hacked up to utilize a Monza fork, so i can use cable set up. (this is going in early Vega).
I'm looking for the adapter bearing/bushing. to make up for the shorter input shaft length.
I thought I had this handled, but now after further research there seems to be multiple stories on which part works for this set up. the T5 is basically the exact same as old Muncies, saginaw, Etc... I have done tons of these T-5 swaps behind Gen I SBC's without any big stress. The locater bore in bell is bigger, so i have a spacer made for that. Use 1 of the collar bolts with a waher to hold it in place.Then just ream the trans bolt holes just a bit for the bigger bolts to the bellhousing.
The length is the only hang up on the LS that i have found. You cant space the flywheel cause it will screw up starter engagement.
SOOO. is GM 12257583 What I need for this????? T-5 LS combo

Also, a side note. I'm using an LS1 Flywheel, Took it and had it re-drilled to old GenI preasure plate pattern with countersunk holes 3/8" and running GenI preasure plate and 26 disc.
Cost $100.
You cant just wobble out the holes on an old style plate and put on LS flywheel.
GenI style plate uses the shoulder bolts to center the plate to flywheel, LS uses dowel pins to locate it, and of course, metric fasteners.
Hope this may help someone.
Thanks in advance for anyone that can clear up this bushing thing.
Darrell
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1100kaw
I was just researching adapter pilot bushing/bearings and ran across this thread.
I am using WC T5 behind 5.3. Basic old school steel scattersheild I hacked up to utilize a Monza fork, so i can use cable set up. (this is going in early Vega).
I'm looking for the adapter bearing/bushing. to make up for the shorter input shaft length.
I thought I had this handled, but now after further research there seems to be multiple stories on which part works for this set up. the T5 is basically the exact same as old Muncies, saginaw, Etc... I have done tons of these T-5 swaps behind Gen I SBC's without any big stress. The locater bore in bell is bigger, so i have a spacer made for that. Use 1 of the collar bolts with a waher to hold it in place.Then just ream the trans bolt holes just a bit for the bigger bolts to the bellhousing.
The length is the only hang up on the LS that i have found. You cant space the flywheel cause it will screw up starter engagement.
SOOO. is GM 12257583 What I need for this????? T-5 LS combo

Also, a side note. I'm using an LS1 Flywheel, Took it and had it re-drilled to old GenI preasure plate pattern with countersunk holes 3/8" and running GenI preasure plate and 26 disc.
Cost $100.
You cant just wobble out the holes on an old style plate and put on LS flywheel.
GenI style plate uses the shoulder bolts to center the plate to flywheel, LS uses dowel pins to locate it, and of course, metric fasteners.
Hope this may help someone.
Thanks in advance for anyone that can clear up this bushing thing.
Darrell
Did you ever get an answer on a pilot bearing that will work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 to t5 questions...I searched