Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Xj V12

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jaguar Xj V12

I'll be finished building the Porsche soon, probably by spring and it'll be fun driving it. I think the next project may have fallen in my lap. Without jumping too far ahead though here's the idea. An Jag XJ series 3 Vanden Plas with the 12 banger. The 12 banger was a good engine and when gas was 50 cents a litre almost affordable. The LS on the other hand and the electronically controlled tranny makes it a sweet match with a possible fuel economy in the thirties. That's not why I'd do it though. Big luxurious cars that handle and have serious power make a great drive.

The car is parked in a very wealthy neighbourhood and apparently hasn't moved in a long time. It is visually in excellent shape. There is one big issue though. In Ontario, prior to 1988 cars in Ontario are exempt from emissions testing so thats a consideration. Not that I would look to making it noxious.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Jag- LS Conversion

Sounds like an interesting project, and we can help. This is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties, and we offer all sorts of GM conversion kits for Jaguar models, and are the only company to support the LS engine into these cars. We have kits, related parts, and plenty of know how. You can see our website here:

www.JaguarSpecialties.com

and the LS-specific section is here:

http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/LS-Overview.asp

Have a look- there's lots of info and a ton of pics.

And let me know if you have any questions. We make these swaps an (almost) bolt-in deal, so it's worthwhile checking out what we offer.....

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew@jaguarspecialties.com
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just be aware the electrical system in those things is pure JUNK! I had one back in the '80's and it was a nightmare to work on, so be careful what you wish for. And good luck with it if you go for it...
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Just be aware the electrical system in those things is pure JUNK! I had one back in the '80's and it was a nightmare to work on, so be careful what you wish for. And good luck with it if you go for it...
My dad's into British sports cars. There's a joke in that community...

Q) Why do the British drink warm beer?
A) Because they have Lucas refrigerators!

I did a SBC Jag V12 swap back in the 80's. It was a fun car. It'll be a lot more fun with an LS!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Jag electrics...

Actually, that's really only true for the 70's Jags that used mostly Lucas electrics. They were the worst

In the 80's, Jaguar cars were primarily Bosch-based, just like VW BMW and Mercedes, so electrically they weren't bad at all. I've driven these cars daily for 20+ years and still have an attic full of spare parts "I thought I'd need". Do things need to be fixed occasionally? Sure- what car doesn't? But for what you get with them- all independent suspension, R&P steering, 4 wheel disc, full power, leather, and now the LS motor- makes for a tough decision. They're fun, stylish and fast, oh and can get 25+mpg as well. Not bad for a big car.....

My $.02

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com

Quick Reply: Jaguar Xj V12