Sponsored by:

Build thread...LS1 / T56 into 1975 Corvette convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:23 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Build thread...LS1 / T56 into 1975 Corvette convertible

Well, it’s time for a new project…one I’ve been wanting to do since I owned my first Corvette (also a ’75) 5 years ago. I’ve been working on cars since I was 14 years old (21 years ago), and I’ve slowly been progressing in project difficulty. My last car was a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 that started as a Procharger car until the stock LS1 let go, and then became an N/A car with an LQ4 shortblock, LS6 heads, custom cam, etc. You may have seen my build thread on that car…if you like, you can find that build thread here…

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-debacle.html

I got the opportunity to pick my current car up in a trade for the WS6. It’s a ’75 Convertible with some custom tweaks…white and black interior, hooker sidemount headers and pipes, and a NOM…a recently built 406 with Brodix heads, Performer intake, Holley 650 DP, Howards hydraulic-roller cam, and some other small mods. The car also has a nice radiator…a Be Cool unit with the automatic trans cooler built in. Transmission is the stock th400, although it has a very recent rebuild and actually shifts very nice and firm. The car has all new brakes and brake lines, as well as some suspension mods. It also had a ton of stereo stuff installed behind the seats that I pulled out the day I got it home…lol. Overall, a very solid car that I felt like would be a perfect candidate for my project.

I’m pulling the 406/th400 and selling everything attached to it…ignition, accessories, brackets…everything. I haven’t purchased the new engine or trans, yet…the plan is to install an LS motor and a hopefully a T56 if I can swing it financially…otherwise I may ultimately go with the 4l60e or 4l80e. I’d like to find a complete pullout with harness, ecm, and all accessories out of an F-body if I can, but I’m also open to using an LQ9 or possibly an LQ4 if I can find one for the right price. At that point, I can piece the rest together.

So enough of the introductions, and onto the pics. I take a lot of pics, so some of these will be redundant. Hopefully I can help someone who might be looking to do this swap in the future…

Got the hood off and snapped a couple of final "before" shots...

The 406...

Radiator and condenser out...

Accessories off...

Much more to come. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by -Q-; 01-21-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful color combo! I dig the white interior! Take lots of pix and keep us posted.

Ps- in front of the motor looks like enuf room for a turbo...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never been very fond of the older 'Vetts......but DAMN that's nice!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by narx66gmc
Beautiful color combo! I dig the white interior! Take lots of pix and keep us posted.

Ps- in front of the motor looks like enuf room for a turbo...
Can't go the turbo route if I'm going to keep the sidemount headers and sidepipes. But, the factory A/C is mounted up high and on the right, just where a Procharger kit would go on a C5 vette. I've eliminated the A/C on this car, so that's an option down the road. Or there's always a Maggie...

Originally Posted by salemetro
I've never been very fond of the older 'Vetts......but DAMN that's nice!!
Thanks!

I got quite a bit done today. Headers and sidepipes are off, water pump, fuel pump, distributer, coil, and some other small parts are all off. I'm about ready to crawl under the car and pull the driveshaft and tranny mount, and get this old school motor out of there.

Pics forthcoming.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Ive also got a C3 corvette, its a '79 and I love it!

Good luck on the swap, post lots of pics!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Q-
Can't go the turbo route if I'm going to keep the sidemount headers and sidepipes.....
That's what TWINs are for
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Here's a couple of updated pictures. Not much more to report other than what was said in my last post...just doing most of the leg work now, getting all the old stuff out.

And here's a shot of the sidemount headers. They'll have to have the flanges cut off, and a set of LS flanges welded on. There will be quite a bit of custom work on these, since the primaries on a SBC and LS are in different location...the primaries on these headers will have to be spread/cut/rewelded to line up with the LS flanges. After which I'll get them cleaned up and rechromed...

Old 12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice car.

I'm glad you are keeping the pipes, I think they set your car off nicely.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please please please PLEASE mount up 2 turbos to the bad boy that's going in next! LOL If you're going to have to swap flanges, you might as well just fab in a couple of turbo dumps instead....much less work. Ok....I'm done tryin' to turn you to the dark side. LOL
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by salemetro
Please please please PLEASE mount up 2 turbos to the bad boy that's going in next! LOL If you're going to have to swap flanges, you might as well just fab in a couple of turbo dumps instead....much less work. Ok....I'm done tryin' to turn you to the dark side. LOL
Haha...not gonna happen on a sidepipe car. You'll just have to settle for a blower instead! That's a long ways down the road though. I want to get this swap together, maybe put a cam in (and a stall if its an auto), and get it running. Eventually its going to get C5 seats, modern gauges, and cyber gray paint.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Got a little more done on the car yesterday...driveshaft pulled, trans mount and crossmember unbolted, and everything unhooked on the underside. Just need to remove the console and pull the shifter, and then pull the motor mount bolts and she'll be ready to come on out of there.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Out with the old...

And here's another shot of the interior. Trying to figure out exactly which direction I want to go here, especially on the gauges. I wanted to go with some of the Speedhut guages, but I think the biggest you can get for the speedo and tach are 4"...the speedo and tach in the C3 are custom sizes, and closer to 5". I'm afraid they won't look right in the housings. The 2 1/16 gauges for the center housing would fit perfect, though.

Also going to do C5 seats eventually. Have to decide whether or not to have the seats recovered in white, or to change the entire interior to black. I love the two-tone white and black, but the white sure does show dirt easily...

So the plan now is to part the engine and trans out, and sell everything in sight. Then start shopping for an LS/T56.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Very cool. Getting ready to drop a 5.3L into my 1980.

Any thought as to where you are going to mount the PCM? I think I'm going to remove the coolant overflow tank and mount it there.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rikoshay
Very cool. Getting ready to drop a 5.3L into my 1980.

Any thought as to where you are going to mount the PCM? I think I'm going to remove the coolant overflow tank and mount it there.
I haven't thought about it much, yet. I've seen a few guys mount it near that overflow tank, so probably somewhere in that area. Once I get everything out of the way and cleaned up I should be able to find a decent place.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Mine is going on the right inner fender. Thought about inside but there is no room with the Vintage AC system.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Got the trans and motor separated tonight, and the motor on the engine stand. Trans had a new converter and flywheel, which was good to see. Problem is, I can't tell what kind of converter it is...it's teal colored, and the only markings I can find on it is the word "corvette" hand written on the back side.

Time to pull the rest of the ignition from the engine bay, as well as the remainder of the A/C lines. Then get everything cleaned up and detailed.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Launching!

I kept the hookers in my 1977 the one thing I would do differently is with the manual tranny use a hydrolic clutch cause routing the pipes around the Z-bar with the mods to the ls engine was super tricky.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by groundczero
I kept the hookers in my 1977 the one thing I would do differently is with the manual tranny use a hydrolic clutch cause routing the pipes around the Z-bar with the mods to the ls engine was super tricky.
If I can swing the T-56, I am definitely keeping the hydraulic clutch. It only makes sense since I'm converting over from an auto anyways.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Teching In

nice to see someone finally working on my baby! The WS6 is all wrapped up for winter waiting for spring!- scott
Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by love_my_ss
nice to see someone finally working on my baby! The WS6 is all wrapped up for winter waiting for spring!- scott
Hope you enjoy the car! I told you I had big plans for this one!

Quick Reply: Build thread...LS1 / T56 into 1975 Corvette convertible