Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 s10 2.2 flex/auto to V8 ls/t56

Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minor update. Talked to a man from the division of auto theft and fraud. I gave a vague description on engine swap and got decent news. Solong as everthing under the hood from the donor car is under my hood there shouldn't be a problem. But I didn't give details of my plans.

Going to call him back tommorrow with details about my swap plans to see if his answer conflicts with the previous statement.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

I've made up my mind to do the swap regardless... I know an inspector who has said if it passes emissions he cant fail me. So i'm going for it and if I get flagged i'll tell the dmv to prove me unsafe. Someone has to pioneer this lol. I might end up on my *** and look like a fool but you'll never know if you don't go for it.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thumbs down

If it can be done in california I see no reason why you cant do it.

Use a newer truck 6.0 that doesn't have EGR or AIR . The LS pcm can control all of the stock emission's stuff on your truck. My s-10 has all functional EVAP fuel gauge and even cats. I didn't need to do any of it but it's not any extra work and it has no effect on overall performance so I figured why not when I did mine.

I programmed my truck as a camaro so that I could used the factory dual speed cooling fans and control the HVAC simpler.But I also wanted cable throttle.

If you are going DBW then use a 2005 up PCM and it could do everything the camaro pcm programming can with the addition of DBW.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Does the vehicle registration get updated with the new displacement in the truck or does it retain the information from the original engine. Sorry if these questions get silly but I have absolutely nothing to go on here in NC b/c apparently everyone is scared silly of the DMV.

My tuner says that he can change the VIN# from the donor motor to match the VIN# on my truck so nobody would be the wiser unless the hood was popped. Even they don't know how to handle this type of conversion and honestly it scares me alittle to think after it's all said and done that I could be left with 6k worth of parts that I'll lose my **** on.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

registration doesnt get changed as far as I know.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope nothing changes with your registration. The VIN used to flash the PCM is what installs all of the correct calibration information into the pcm. That I know of there is no way to simply change the VIN without changing the associated calibration information.

Unless HPtuners or somebody else will just let you input VIN#xyz without effecting the flash calibrations. That's something you to ask whoever tunes it for you. Around here it's not something we need to worry about so dunno.

All I do know is that if it will pass a visual and all of the IM monitoring flags for emmissions related stuff say it's good to go then you will pass the test. Aro
Old 03-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Did you end up going through with this? I think I'm in the same boat in Mass with the Vin hoopla but I'll get it done regardless.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are we even considering changing the VIN... don't worry about. whether you have a v6, v8, v12, jet engine, tractor motor, or a lawn mower under your hood The police or insurance company won't be able to tell...! besides you still pay that v6 insurance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 s10 2.2 flex/auto to V8 ls/t56